How to fix leaking concrete?

Hi All,

My new house has a concrete floored patio, which covers the garage (ie, the patio forms the ceiling for the garage). After rain I have noticed that some water leaks through the concrete into the garage. It seems to be coming through a long but thin crack in the concrete. It isn't really a problem now, but I imagine that over time it may reduce the integrity of the concrete, especially if the reinforcing starts to rust. I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar problem and what they did to fix it.

I did a search and found a reference to a product called Mr Crystal . This sounds promising, as long as it works when applied from underneath a horizontal surface. Has anyone used this, or does anyone have other suggestions.

Thanks.

John.

Hi Johnny,

My dad had a similar problem with an upstairs verandah. He used a brushable silicone product all over the floor of the verandah after he water blasted it and it worked well.

I can’t remember the product but I know Bunnings has it.

Note that this repair must be done from the outside not applied on the inside as your e-mail suggests.

Hi Johhny

As Cosmo said, the sealing has to be done from the outside to be effective.

It isn't actually a new house as you said, is it?

Regards

Adrian See

Hi Jonny,

Im only new to the reno game but have had a similiar problem with a higset of mine. The verandah isnt concrete but is hardiflex which has been painted. I have been told i need to wet seal the verandah to stop the water seeking through to under the house, then i will tile the area to finish it off. I have been told i can find a wet sealer at any good paint shops or bunnings. sorry havent got any pricings or product names yet but will soon, i dont think it is very costly either (hopefully). From what i have been told it is very easy to apply, no great skills needed. It may be what your after.

Hope it may be of assistance to you.

Back