How To Get A Pay Rise

Hi Guys,

I was telling one of my broking buddies about how I wrote a book and it's called "How To Get A Payrise". He reckoned he was a bit surprised, because it wasn't about how to buy an investment property, or get a loan or whatever.

But the truth is this is where it all started for me. I couldn't get a handle on my financial stuff until I got my pay sorted. (Am better at getting pay rise than at decreasing costs, as it turns out).

And I kept telling my clients about it, and they loved it, so I wrote it down!! And a publisher liked it, so it's hitting the book stores on the 1st of June!! Yippee! It's no great literary work, and it's not even very long, but I'm really proud of it anyway.

There's a freebie download on the web site http://www.howtogetapayrise.com.au - I hope you like it.

Cheers, Medine

Last edited:
Great work :D

Im in the middle of getting a "pay rise". It involves moving onto a new job unfortunitly. Love where im working, but no room to move up.

Looking for a 50% pay rise in a new sales position.

Cheers

Mick

I work in IT so my usual work attire is a collared shirt and jeans.

One day I decided to dress up and went to work in a suit and tie.
Took a long lunch because I had some shopping to do, and when I
came back I was asked into my bosses office and given a
10k pay raise so that I wouldn't leave. :eek:

I got given a mag last week and just finished reading your article Medine. Well done.
Funny ehough what you suggest is exactly how l have asked for pay rises in the past and in the process of waiting notification of a new pay rise.
It works:)

The best way to get a pay rise is to make yourself more valuable to your boss.

Take on extra responsibility, get there early, stay back late, take on extra education seminars etc - without being asked.

It won't guarantee you a pay rise, but at least you won't exclude yourself from a round of rises when they eventually are considered by the boss/es.

Clock punchers and people who have the attitude "it's not my job", or do the bare minimum usually get what they are worth, and if there is a downturn in the industry and your firm has to conduct lay-offs; the bosses already know who will be being let go from the beginning.

I am an employer.

Take on extra responsibility, get there early, stay back late, take on extra education seminars etc - without being asked.
"Clock punchers and people who have the attitude "it's not my job".
I am an employer.

Lucky your not my employer " get there early, stay back late".

Being in the office more hours does not guarantee more productivity. Sounds like you want your employees to give you free time, and be slaves.

and if there is a downturn in the industry and your firm has to conduct lay-offs; the bosses already know who will be being let go from the beginning.

Actually, from my experience (in IT), usually the highest payed once. The attitude is why pay for one person, when I can get two for the same price.

Best way to get a payrise is to move around (and get a variety of experience). Staying with one employer is a recipe for lower pay. It's easier to ask for a higher pay somewhere else, then be a slave for BayView living in the hope that one day he'll give you a rise eventually.

Well done, I was in Sydney's domestic airport about two weeks ago and was browsing through the shelves of the newsagent. I saw your book (didn't know you had written it), and it got my attention...I flicked through it and thought that it was well written and had some good practicle tips.:) ...I wasn't in the mood for buying a book that day, but well done nonetheless.

:eek:

My husbands employees do this and more (like not taking sickies unless sick) when needed, but he pays above award, lets them go home early with full pay if the work is finished and about once a month if this occurs takes them out for a paid for lunch and a couple beers.

Oh, and gives them a bonus of a few hundred dollars at Christmas.

Last edited:
I work in IT so my usual work attire is a collared shirt and jeans.

One day I decided to dress up and went to work in a suit and tie.
Took a long lunch because I had some shopping to do, and when I
came back I was asked into my bosses office and given a
10k pay raise so that I wouldn't leave. :eek:

lmao that worked out nicely :cool:

I'd just fire anyone undeserving who asks.
Because once they ask and you say no, they will resent you.
So if they do, watch'em like a hawk, cause they will slack off.
Even worse they will poison the work environment and critices you to all the others creating a bad work attitude all around.
Get rid of them asap.
Everybody is expendable.

Where I work (punch a clock) it doesn't matter how much you do or don't do. You get paid the same.If they need to downsize, they let the most junior employee go, whether they are hard workers or not. (we are unionized)
Been over 12 months without a contract, so hoping for a tiny backpay cheque soon.

It has been really hot (for us) at work last week, and our supervisor was going to buy us popsicles as a treat. This was out of his own pocket.
He mentioned it to Human Resources, where his partner works, and the company paid for them , plant wide.

And this is how you inspire your workers to work hard. (joke)
Of course the supervisors all work in a/c offices, while it is 43C where we are.

The more you know in my department, the more they use it to their own benefit.

Being in the office more hours does not guarantee more productivity. Sounds like you want your employees to give you free time, and be slaves.

This was a suggestion.

I'm talking a couple of minutes here and there, or volunteering to help out for a bit if it's real busy at knock-off time. Some people will absolutely not offer to do it. That's fine, but it works both ways if you are not a team player.

I don't ask anyone to do any of that stuff by the way. I don't expect/want them to be slaves, and it's not about volume of hours. None of my staff are asked to do a second more than they are rostered to do without me offering to pay them for it...But some do it regardless.

My point - if you bothered to read my post correctly and interpret it correctly - is about suggestions for those who want payrises over and above the customary CPI increase each year.

The whole point is to do with work attitude and ethic. What you have focused on is but one factor alone of a valuable employee. It is one that does get noticed by most bosses by the way. Favourably.

So, which one are you? - someone who punches a clock and then watches it all day, doing only what you are required and not a jot more, out the door at 5 seconds to end of shift every day (like one of my staff - who by the way is 61, renting, and broke - there is a karma in that)

Or are you someone who is part of the team and has the bigger picture of you own successful future and the firm's future in mind?

Last edited:
Back