How to get real estate agent licence?

I was just curious what is involved?

What schools? how long it takes and costs?

Mainly coz all sites like realestate.com.au require a licenced agent to advertise. I know there are options like propertynow. But just curious what is involved.

Couldnt find much information online

Are you actually wanting to practice as a sales agent or open an agency, and in what state? These variables all effect the process.

If you're just wanting to be able to advertise, there's companies that offer that as a service that you should look into.

You can do it online via Kaplan or your local reiwa. Com. Au learning

There's 3 levels
Sales Representatives
Business agents
Licensee

The first level should only take you 2 weeks online

In NSW you can do a 5 week intensive course at REI NSW in Sydney CBD, TAFE, Oten (correspondence), 3-4 year property degree thru UTS/UWS etc, Kaplan, Seek learning and other providers.

Do you actually want a licence or can you do the 3 day - work in the industry/agent reps course?

In NSW you can do a 5 week intensive course at REI NSW in Sydney CBD, TAFE, Oten (correspondence), 3-4 year property degree thru UTS/UWS etc, Kaplan, Seek learning and other providers.

Do you actually want a licence or can you do the 3 day - work in the industry/agent reps course?

I was curious. Mainly a licence only. So, wasn't sure what are the pre-requisites. Maybe this would help:

Just scoping out:
My dad will be managing my property (he is semi retired). So, lets say in 6 months he is confident. There is no reason
he can't extend to manage 2 more property and lets say it could become business.

So, I was after firstly:

a. Minimum Requirements:
- This I guess to be qualified licence NSW. So, say we can list on real estate himself without any external company.

b. Courses:
- Are they optional or like you need to do 4 year engineering degree to work as engineer type of deal.

c. Also, lets say I want a job at real estate company. What would be minimum I would need for them.

If something small period and low cost. Then he would do it. Obviously not full blown qualification which takes years.

Are you actually wanting to practice as a sales agent or open an agency, and in what state? These variables all effect the process.

If you're just wanting to be able to advertise, there's companies that offer that as a service that you should look into.

NSW.
Sure. But seeing what is minimum required to bypass the companies and advertise directly.

3 year degree seems to be overkill.
Mainly to get licence. Not sure what is 3 day - work in the industry/agent reps course

So, I guess what is bare minimum. Eg. You work as fitness instruction you need to get certification of fitness instruction. Thats 6 month course. So, not sure for this you need to do course like that or is it something you can just do online and get certification to get licence.

NSW.
Sure. But seeing what is minimum required to bypass the companies and advertise directly.

On real estate .com.au i think you have to be a full agency, which in most states requires the full Diploma
I doubt its worth the trouble if thats all you're trying to do.

On real estate .com.au i think you have to be a full agency, which in most states requires the full Diploma
I doubt its worth the trouble if thats all you're trying to do.

I did the 1year fully online 'Diploma of Property -Agency Management' in less than 3 months whilst working full time. If your dedicated then you can do it faster.

note: I have no prior realestate experience except buying IPs.

3 year degree seems to be overkill.
Mainly to get licence. Not sure what is 3 day - work in the industry/agent reps course

So, I guess what is bare minimum. Eg. You work as fitness instruction you need to get certification of fitness instruction. Thats 6 month course. So, not sure for this you need to do course like that or is it something you can just do online and get certification to get licence.

For QLD (should be similar for other states)

To work for an agency you just need a sales license which anyone can get in less than 2 weeks. Cost is around $400 I think.

For the full agency license you need to complete 19 units. You should be able to complete 2 per week. That's 2.5 months. Cost is between $2500 - $3000.

Both can be completed fully online. I think it's all assignment based. You also get multiple attempts if you're not deemed competent. No exams.

Shows you how easy it is to open an RE agency.

Andrew

My dad will be managing my property (he is semi retired)

Just a question, does your dad know all the laws and acts?

Would he want to be essentially working full time again lol

Some of the basics of property.

If you have a licence and are managing your own properties (in the same entity) can you legally charge yourself management fees? To what effect?

If your father is managing for you, will he hold a licence or just the certificate of registration (he will need to work under someone else's licence). If he is working for you (under your licence), then you also have to pay workers compensation insurance.

An agent/licensee must have professional indemnity insurance, minimum of $1300 pa

There is a hefty monthly charge to hold an account at realestate.com.au. Anyone can open an account with re.com you just have to commit to their monthly fee for a year (over $5k pa).

How many externally managed properties will it take to cover these costs?

There may be confusion with two different things here.

A Real Estate Agent license is required to sell land. The OP is talking about managing rental properties. I don't think you need to have a REA license to only manage properties?

A Real Estate Agent license is required to sell land. The OP is talking about managing rental properties. I don't think you need to have a REA license to only manage properties?

You're right - none / little quals needed for PMs in most states. However thats not what hes trying to do. From what I understand hes trying to get an advertising account on realestate.com.au which requires (afaik) ownership of an agency.

In NSW as licensee, you must hold a licence (or certificate of registration) to deal with property that you do not own ie. to act as agent. http://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/fullhtml/inforce/act+66+2002+FIRST+0+N#pt.2-div.1-sec.10

Real Estate Licence

:D

Mainly coz all sites like realestate.com.au require a licenced agent to advertise. I know there are options like propertynow. But just curious what is involved.

Go to you local supermarket and buy a large packet of Weeties.

The RE Licence is normally at the top of the packet, but sometimes you have to eat a lot of cereal before you find it.:D

Buy a cheap suit, a red tie, and an exotic car you can't afford.

Learn how to say; "We're here to sell!!" with a resounding and authoritative fist smack on your other fist... ;)

But seriously; I did a correspondence Sales Representative Certificate through the local TAFE.

Then had to sit a couple of exams at the end as well...pretty easy.

Then comes the hard part.

After 12 months I think it is you can apply for an actual licence to run your own r/e shop as the Dealer Principal.

Back