How to get rid Ants?

My property has lots of ants. Many come from outside, from the sub-floor area (stump floor) and from under the rear yard concrete cracks. Others come from the ducted heating vents (on the floor).

Have tried some Bunnings ant baits for inside and spray for outside the house, but the ants keep coming back after a few weeks.

How to get rid of ants?

Thanks

Lots of answers (that don't involve chemicals) to the question here.

I could copy and paste them into a post but it would be a l..o..n..g post

Yes same here, within the last few weeks with the crazy summer weather, the ants have exploded. I got some ant killing traps but they not doing too great for me.

We have heaps of ants too - in both of our IP's. I've tried everything including AMDRO which is very expensive (about $70 for 100g)

One of our tenants complained so loudly I got a pest guy around there who sprayed them with something that "would keep them quiet" but only temporarily. (not sure if that referred to the tenant or the ants)

I've looked at all the ant related threads here and have tried everything that has been suggested, so any 'new' help would be much appreciated.

To be fair, no I haven't. Don't really have an issue with ants here (southern end of the South Island in NZ).

I just did a google search and that was a reply that came up. It appealed to me as I am personally anti the use of chemicals around the home.

talc powerder works well. I get the kids to go outside every summer, find the ant nests and dust them with baby powder. It actually works :D

we used to have lots of ant problems... I've used talcum powder extensively, but found it just resulted in different tracks, rather than getting rid of them totally.
We had 2 sprays of the house from a pest control company about 3 years ago, and we haven't had any ants since then. The first one wasn't totally effective, so around 2 mths later we had another one.
So, my recommendation is to go straight to the pest control company. often they'll do a complimentary spider and ant spray along with their pest inspection - it usually has 6mth warranty, I think.
Pen

ANTEX.

From Bunnings at about $10 per bottle?

Sprinkle the crytals around the opening to the nest - ants are gone by next day.

It works on pretty much any ants.

It works on pretty much any ants.

That would be handy. I've got around 7 or 8 different species running around my place and I was told by an "Arrest-a-Pest" guy that they all basically require different chemicals, and in general a treatment for one species does nothing to any of the others.

I said "Fine, get rid of the rat-sized red and black ones".

That would be handy. I've got around 7 or 8 different species running around my place and I was told by an "Arrest-a-Pest" guy that they all basically require different chemicals, and in general a treatment for one species does nothing to any of the others.

Sounds like a sales pitch. :confused:

Could be some truth in it, but I've been able to get rid of jumping jacks and bull ants, as well as the common old black ants we all see around the place using Antex.

Sounds like a sales pitch. :confused:

Could be some truth in it, but I've been able to get rid of jumping jacks and bull ants, as well as the common old black ants we all see around the place using Antex.

Had lots of problems with ants at Casa Del Funder the last view months and having ruled out stamping on the buggers a solution - fun but ineffective - I wandered down the local garden centre.

Got the chemicals guy and in very conspiratorial tones he pointed to Richgro Ant Killer and let me know (we were mates by then) that it was so good (i.e. poisonous) they were taking it off the market.

Of course I bought it and am now "Token Funder - Destroyer of (ant) Worlds".

Here's to better living through chemistry!

I said "Fine, get rid of the rat-sized red and black ones".

I have those red/orangey ants - sugar ants, I think they are called? I think they can give a nasty bite if you happened to sit your hand on one.

Anyone else got those?

Attachments

• flamethrower.jpg
    flamethrower.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 225
My property has lots of ants. Many come from outside, from the sub-floor area (stump floor) and from under the rear yard concrete cracks. Others come from the ducted heating vents (on the floor).

Have tried some Bunnings ant baits for inside and spray for outside the house, but the ants keep coming back after a few weeks.

How to get rid of ants?

Thanks

Ants are good. They keep termites away. If you have an ant problem you generally won't have a termite problem. Ants won't eat your house (unless they're Carpenter Ants, but they prefer hollow decaying wood).

I welcome my little anty friends - we have heaps of them around the house, and no termites.

Ants are good. They keep termites away. If you have an ant problem you generally won't have a termite problem. Ants won't eat your house (unless they're Carpenter Ants, but they prefer hollow decaying wood).

I welcome my little anty friends - we have heaps of them around the house, and no termites.

Thanks Shadow, I feel a bit better about the invasiion in that case. We have them everywhere - I have become so used to their presence that I don't even bother to pick them out of my coffee anymore. I am relucant to spray inside as I am pregnant and have heard bad things about chemicals and fetal growth. I guess our timber house is safe from termites for now.

I woke up to a kitchen bench full of ants a few weeks ago and ants in my bathroom. I went to work and told an elderly collegue about it and she told me she swears by lemon dish washing liquid or listerine mouth wash. Went home to more ants and wiped down my kitchen with the lemon dish washing liquid and used the mouth wash in the bathroom - 2 weeks later and still noooo ants :D So maybe worth a try.

JK

Back