How to lodge a claim for profesional indemnity insurance against your PM?

Hello. Thank you for stopping by and I hope someone in the forum would be able to point me to the right direction.

Our IP in WA has been vacant since Nov. The tenant was evicted, due financial hardship.

Our PM has done really bad job in getting the place ready for rent and supplying relevant documents for insurance purposes.

I have tried to find other PM to take over the management, but no-one would take it due because the problem is too big and too complicated. They will take the job after the bond and insurance claims are handled.

The main problem with the insurance claim is getting the documents from them. All reports (ingoing and periodical inspections) are under the previous tenant (not the evicted one). Bonds are not refunded/claimed. They also let the evicted tenant to store her belongings in the property for 8 weeks (after being evicted).

I have contacted the dept of commerce, and after 3 weeks begging to be assigned to an officer, I finally spoke to an officer today. I spoke to REIWA many times, but they can only tell me to contact dept of commerce. One info that I got was to lodge a claim for profesional indemnity insurance. I have never heard of this before.

Currently I am dealing with the general manager of the REA branch but she is very difficult person to deal. I spoke to people at dept commerce who advised me to get lawyer.

So, how to lodge a claim for profesional indemnity insurance based on mismanagement and financial loss? We have not received any rent since Sept 2014.

why would you not take the pm to a magistrates court or similar to register an establishment of debt owed before you do an insurance claim.

I have no experience at all in this matter - just offering an opinion.

Basically you need to be prepared to bring a claim in the civil courts against your PM. Presumably for breach of contract.

Are you prepared to do that?

I have contacted the dept of commerce, and after 3 weeks begging to be assigned to an officer, I finally spoke to an officer today. I spoke to REIWA many times, but they can only tell me to contact dept of commerce. ... I spoke to people at dept commerce who advised me to get lawyer.
So, all signs point to "get a lawyer".

You don't lodge a claim against their insurance policy. You lodge a claim against them, and they then decide if they will have their insurance cover the claim.

Back