How to make 100k in your spare time.

Will you be selling your own branded stock or just a reseller?

How will you compete with the mega brands/stores? I am assuming you will have some kind of niche that will differentiate you so you dont have to compete directly?

I admire your enthusiasm and confidence.

Hi Ace,

Thanks for a big pick up the bum for me and some others here. Take us through the first few steps because I think these are the hardest ones.

Did you go 1. Bored of what I am doing, I needed a new challenge - 2. researching niche market - 3. sports clothes line - 4. Net 1M (for motivation) as a target?

Or did you stumble across an idea which then spurned you into action?

Will you be selling your own branded stock or just a reseller?

How will you compete with the mega brands/stores? I am assuming you will have some kind of niche that will differentiate you so you dont have to compete directly?

I admire your enthusiasm and confidence.

Own brand, trademarked recently.

In the words of my current mentor/inspirer: Don't compete, Dominate.
Even though there are obvious big players in the market place, I need to approach this in a way that I'm not looking to keep up or even compete with them, but get out there enough to dominate the space.

Social media will play a big part here in getting quick results, something I need to learn and apply fast.

Hi Ace,

Thanks for a big pick up the bum for me and some others here. Take us through the first few steps because I think these are the hardest ones.

Did you go 1. Bored of what I am doing, I needed a new challenge - 2. researching niche market - 3. sports clothes line - 4. Net 1M (for motivation) as a target?

Or did you stumble across an idea which then spurned you into action?

Primarily the challenge, to test my potential.
Everybody has potential well above where they are currently at.

I used to think mastering the 4 hour work week would be cool, although I never attempted it.
Now, I realise it would be insane to limit your potential so much by approaching work and life like this.
None of the players at the top of their game approach life like the 4 hour work week.

aith, so without revealing your secrets, whats teh plan??

import fitness clothes premade from china directly, or from your supplier?

sell them on ebay?? sell them to franchises such as sports girl or roxxy?

I'll let you guys know the process as it happens.
So far, still brainstorming the plan and putting the strategy together.
The idea was only really born 2 days ago, there is a lot of work to do.

I'll let you guys know the process as it happens.
So far, still brainstorming the plan and putting the strategy together.
The idea was only really born 2 days ago, there is a lot of work to do.

Is it possible to do this with a low set budget?
Id like to emulate what you are doing with a different product perhaps, however i am concerned with the budget as
1. my costs wont be as tight and will have more creep due to lack of experience
2. with wedding coming up, and pushing for a subdivision, wont have much chump change lying around.

advice?

Sure you can do it with a low budget.

Start small, build up slow and do more work yourself.
Use all the free resources available on the internet to get maximum exposure.

I'm trying to get this thing going fast so I have to pay more for outsourcing work and pay higher for initial stock quantities, to get up and running rather than gradually building into it.

Sure you can do it with a low budget.

Start small, build up slow and do more work yourself.
Use all the free resources available on the internet to get maximum exposure.

I'm trying to get this thing going fast so I have to pay more for outsourcing work and pay higher for initial stock quantities, to get up and running rather than gradually building into it.

Sound like a good idea to have have all the stock in place before you plan the selloff,and you never know with all the new start up northern european design clothing companies vs costs volume factors that have started up recently and their daily sales numbers,for low cost high quality for under 20 bucks,from what what my daughter tells me who helped set up the first store and now working on the 2 nd opening the sales $$$$each day stuns me,,good luck..

7 day update.

In no particular order:
  • Created a brief plan/schedule of events to launch.
  • Set up an eBay account.
  • Set up a Twitter account.
  • Set up a Facebook business page.
  • Transferred inactive website domain name to a new host.
  • Hired a freelancer to develop a landing page.
  • Hired a freelancer to develop the website.
  • Hired multiple freelancers to develop multiple designs for the clothing.
  • Researched others' stories on clothing start ups.
  • Researched the immediate competition, designs and product range possibilities.
  • Researched design options/images/slogans.
  • Applied for a slogan to be trademarked.

I've got a notebook with my plan, design ideas, general notes, references, ideas, etc, which I keep with me at all times except for bedtime.
In all I've spent about 35 hours this week on the above, which is outside my normal work duties. Most of this time was spent searching images online and dealing with freelancers to develop the designs. I'll probably take another week before enough designs are ready to put into production.
This extra work has not slowed me down, but in fact, made me even more efficient, active, organisational and productive in my other business, sales mode is ON !
Staying busy is good.

At first, I was worried that I had committed to something which may be a tough industry to break. It was quite overwhelming seeing just how much was out there. But now I'm a lot more familiar with the competition in my particular field of fitness clothing, confidence is high.

I just had a snap decision yesterday that I'm going to start a fitness clothing range to sell predominantly online.
I've got a website name registered, and a logo registered.
Apart from that, I've got nothing, which includes no prior knowledge of clothing products.
So basically I'm starting with no product and no designs, just a vision at this stage.

Awesome

Keep us posted Ace

What's the sell though in a market currently flooded with products such as Nike, Reebok, Everlast, Slazenger, Champion, Underarmour, Rockwear, Black & Blue, Running Bare, Skins, Tapout, Lorna Jane, Michelle Bridges, Giaan Rooney, Grant Kenny yada yada yada as those are only the ones I can think of :D

A catchy name, price or product types (or all 3) :confused:

Awesome

Keep us posted Ace

What's the sell though in a market currently flooded with products such as Nike, Reebok, Everlast, Slazenger, Champion, Underarmour, Rockwear, Black & Blue, Running Bare, Skins, Tapout, Lorna Jane, Michelle Bridges, Giaan Rooney, Grant Kenny yada yada yada as those are only the ones I can think of :D

A catchy name, price or product types (or all 3) :confused:

The market may have lots of existing suppliers, but plenty of room for more.
They all started somewhere, and over time, those who do not keep growing may drop out.
Got to be in and get established to take advantage of future opportunities when they open up.

I believe marketing techniques and sales skills are far more important than name, price and product type.

No way, I'm a self funder.
But maybe, as one of the investors/backers in a few years time....
Never watched the show but have seen a few epsisodes of Dragons Den.

awesome post!! keen to follow the progress and learn as my wife and i have toyed with the clothin idea too! people weae clothes pretty regularly and people tend to buy lots, so why not sell them!!

niche market idea for you.... as a stay at home dad i always see mums in lrna jane gear and highly doubt they all go to the gym!! its become a uniform in shopping centres during the day!!
target 1. online shopping and social media where mums congregate
2. stay at home dads! throw some sweet stuubies and sinnglets in the mix!! we are the forgotten minority!

Last edited:
Back