how to make $110k 12mths without quitting my day job

Sorry. Not trying to rain on your parade but what about other costs that will substantially erode your profit. Doesn't seem like there is a lot of fat in your initial figures to make it a successful 20% ROI.
ie: sellers agent fees ($10k), GST, tax. Your holding costs seem way too low. Should be nearly double this in my books.

No GST. Its vacant land and existing resi housing. One of the reasons to sell vacant land since GST erodes profit if a build happens.

detailed break down of subdivision costs

Is this $30,000 for paperwork only or does this include some ground works, electricity supply and sewerage etc.

The quote from my surveyor of the expected cost of subdivision for this project- to create one new additional Torrens Title alloment:
Development Assessment Commision lodgement fee $1200
Surveyor fee for preparation of DAC proposal and lodgement $770
SA water new connection fee (sewer IP and water meter) $6850
Open space contribution fees $6500
Final site survey and plan of division $2000

Trust me when I say unexpected fees WILL pop up

This site needs a sewer main extension so I am budgeting in another $10,000 for that, I will not know the exact cost untill much later in the subdivision process.

From memory there will be Title registration fee when the new titles are finished

No costs to upgrade SA power networks infrastructure as power is within 25m of the proposed new vacant lot.

No money to spend clearing the back yard as there are no trees just a shed- and a friend is happy to take it down for me to get a freebee.

So I'm rounding it up to an even $30k for subdivision.

Last edited:
hi Jim1964

The lot i would think,with some change,no sewer extensions this time??

GOD HELP ME, NOT ANOTHER SEWER MAIN EXTENSION!

I couldn't help it, I really tried to avoid it, sob sob, but in the end I just had to buy it anyway, and budget the extra $10k into the subdiv costs, I got the property for the right price and it is in a really nice location...

Last edited:
When the project is all sold off the $110,00 capital gain will be approximately HALVED by Capital Gains Tax and agents fees/advertising.

I work full time in a completelly unrelated industry, I have a 4 year old son and a hubby who is runs his own company and is very busy, so I'm not a reno guru by any means, any even though I'd love to be. I am using 4 weeks of long sevice leave to do some painting and easy cosmetic upgrading to the existing house, but will be organisng tradies to do all of the renovation.

So $55,000 cash for 4 weeks labour and 12 months of waiting patiently isn't so bad (others might have loftier expectations but I'll be happy) All of the subdivision can be done using phone, email, fax while I'm on my tea breaks at work. I still have never met the surveyor that did my last subdivision face to face, but he has a nice voice...

This is certainly a good strategy for you. It's less time intensive, less skill intensive and lower risk.

Everybody has a strategy which will fit their stage of life. As much as I'm sure your 4yo enjoys bringing his Tonka trucks to a building site, it is not always easy fitting in the time.

Tweaking this plan from the lessons learnt on the last one is how we keep going forwards and getting better.

Keep up the good work and sharing Erica.

No GST. Its vacant land and existing resi housing. One of the reasons to sell vacant land since GST erodes profit if a build happens.

Why is there no GST on the sale of the vacant land? I'm doing a similar project in qld and was told that the creation of a new block then results in GST on the sale as it is the first transaction of that property?

Well done Erica. I'd love to compare notes sometime. I think we are pretty much at the same stage with our splitters. Although my plan is to sell the existing house and build a project home to keep as a rental.

Why is there no GST on the sale of the vacant land? I'm doing a similar project in qld and was told that the creation of a new block then results in GST on the sale as it is the first transaction of that property?

That's interesting, I wanted to do something similar as you beachgurl (split and sell vacant land) and asked my accountant about the tax implications - he also said no GST would apply because we are approaching this option as an investment and not a business venture.

Why is there no GST on the sale of the vacant land?

Because GST is exempt on real property except when it is a 'taxable supply' (i.e. new dwellings). Even when new dwellings attract GST there is the margin scheme so only the 'margin' is taxable as GST.

Thats the plan Stan!

This is development project number 2, my aim is for 20% ROI in 12 mths. My first project wasn't so crash hot so this one I have better hopes for, you can check out my other thread here: http://somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96564

STRATEGY:
Purchace corner allotment within 10km of Adelaide CBD
Subdivide off back yard
Retain the front house and renovate
Sell off the vacant lot and renovated house ASAP to realise quick cash gains
Rinse and repeat.

COST/PROFIT:
$445,000 purchace price
$25,000 stamp duty/ title transfer/ conveyance/ sundries
$30,000 renovation
$30,000 subdivision
$8,000 MLI for 90% loan
$12,000 holding cash flow neg over 12 mths (only vacant 2 mths for reno) rent@ $350pw)
$550,000 TOTAL SPEND OVER 12MTHS

$270,000 end value of vacant land
$390,000 end value of renovated 3 bedroom house on courtyard block
$660,000 COMBINED END VALUES

$110,000 CAPITAL GAIN = 20% RETURN ON ALL MONEY INVESTED

I will continue to update this thread over the coming 12 mths to show you all step by step the process I undertake to achieve this outcome and to share the inevitable challenges that will pop up along the way.

Well atleast you are realistic with the return you wish to achieve a real return not somersoft 80% returns.

Sounds like a good little project goodluck with it and keep the updates coming as its educational for the people that are new to developing property.

erica, im not sure why your writing style has turned out to be a like a spruiker, bold text, emotive language, emotive words, statements like "to replace my day job"

your first project, god bless you for giving it a good shot, was only 8,65%,
this project, you are going to lose 50% through to CG, there doesnt seem to be much contingency involved,

Id tread very carefully, as you may see your profits go down by about 30% due to unforseen circumstances,

but good on you for trying

That is totally my DREAM!

This is my first step in my 10 year plan to achieve exactly that!

That's great.

Starting with smaller projects and then building on this is the way to go. Certainly learn a lot by getting your hands dirty, you cant do this by just reading a book, it just wont cut it.

There are so many minefields with developing, one area that does not get a great deal of attention when it comes to developing is...... "what if the market turns", this seems to be ignored, or just not considered??

One can start a project and the market is strong, on completion perhaps 12 months down the track the market goes to cr.p. One way of mitigating this risk is to ensure if you can not sell you can hold and rents will cover the loan repayments. Another is to ensure you stick to areas that will be in more demand, building in the sticks will also perhaps be higher risk.

Just some of my thoughts, and good on you, keep going with it, upwards and onwards.

Cheers
MTR:)

erica, im not sure why your writing style has turned out to be a like a spruiker, bold text, emotive language, emotive words, statements like "to replace my day job"

Just thought if I shared my journey here some others reading Somersoft might find it usefull and educational, just like I have loved reading other peoples threads about many topics and have learnt more through SS over the last couple of years than any book on realestate investing.

There are so many minefields with developing, one area that does not get a great deal of attention when it comes to developing is...... "what if the market turns", this seems to be ignored, or just not considered??

True that.

My last project saw a modest market fall (which applied to the whole of Adelaide really) over the 3 years it took to complete. I am mindfull to never count any projected rise in market value in my end profit margin figures, as it may not eventuate at all.

And, as for a market fall, it sure is possible, I think Adelaide will be particuarly susceptable to an interest rate rise dampening the only slight market improvement we have seen in the past 12 mths, we have only just got back to the median price peak of 2010.

Nice Work.

I have been looking in western suburbs of Adelaide (CBD to beach) for one of these as well. They don't last long. I think I need to keep pestering the agents.

Good luck

A busy week

1. surveyor did a quick check of site remotely, to confirm my measurements are roughly correct (within half of a meter)
2. surveyor prepared plan of division and lodged with the Development Assessment Commision, application fees paid
3. Building designer created concept plan for me (to show council how the requirements for minimum block size, private open space and off street carparking for 2 vehicles will be met, for the existing dwelling)
4. Designer also drew up a plan of a new build that will fit the proposed new vacant allotment, again to show council minimum requirements can be met for set backs, p.o.s, parking etc, and also to serve as marketing material as I plan to advertise this allotment as a 'house and land package' when all approvals are granted
5.Development Application lodged for Planning Consent only with the local council (City of Marion, Adelaide), application fees paid

Did i mention I still have 4 weeks to go before settlement...

Fingers crossed for a quick approval

Nice Work.

I have been looking in western suburbs of Adelaide (CBD to beach) for one of these as well. They don't last long. I think I need to keep pestering the agents.

Good luck

I have missed out on may of these subdivide and retain sites over the last several months, they tend to sell after the first open for advertised price with private treaty. And I was out bid on about 6 properties at Auction, some going for what I considered astronomical prices, glad I kept my cool though, and stuck to my budget, I think I only managed to pick up this one because it is in very poor condition and needs extensive renovating to repair- not just cosmetic upgrading.

I'm halfway through my third one of these at the moment. Same sort of profit but lower purchase prices so approx 30% return.

I live in them during the process though so CGT has been basically zero so far.

Agree the money is in the subdivision. Building adds risk and very little chance of a resale return unless your the builder.

The problem is finding enough suitable properties with enough profit margin.

RC

Back