How to make a direct offer? (No Agents Involved)

Advice needed please...

We are currently renting a townhouse and the old lady next door has just been moved into a nursing home. I saw her brother at the house and asked him if they are going to sell?

He said 'Yes' & had received valuations from a couple of agents and has been advised to put it on the market at "Offers over $550k". He has not signed with an agent yet.

I have done some research and two similar ones sold for $540k in Oct\Nov. (One sold for $553k though) so I offered him $530k.This saves me some coin and gives him a bit more than if he was to sell at $540k - agents commission and advertising fees. The offer was via a letter and he has now contacted me saying he wants to chat next week.

Could those forumites who have dealt with vendors directly give me some advice as to some negotiating tips for this situation (I could probably go $532k but not more) and maybe some conditions regarding settlement dates and access to the property for reno's.

It would be for us to live in using FHOG but then turn into IP after a reno and aiming for 450-460 bucks a week rent.

Thanks

he has now contacted me saying he wants to chat next week.
Let him do all the talking. The more he talks, the more he lets you know his motivation, what he will accept etc. and then you can clinch the deal with a few words at the end - just make sure you listen to what he wants.

....and maybe some conditions regarding settlement dates
You don't need anything special re settlement dates. Don't try to complicate it. It is going to be a PPOR to start with.

and access to the property for reno's.
Forget this altogether - it is a legal nightmare. You'll be living there for 6 months to qualify for your FHOG. Do renos during this time.

Great advice by Prop (as per usual!)

The only other advice I would give is is there's a silence in the conversation, let the other party fill it...follows on from Prop saying let them do the talking...they'll give you more info than they intend to & put you in a better position.

Good luck!

Back