How to make sure the demolition contractor does not bury asbestos in my yard

Hi,

I am planning to demolish my old house, which has plenty of asbestos. Is there a way to ensure the demolition guys don't bury asbestos in my lot?

Thanks.

It is a bit hard, as it will take few days. I would be driving past few times. I thought to catch a stage when they stripped the asbestos from the outer walls and removed it but the house is still there.

You are assuming the contractor will act illegally. If you dont trust them find a new contractor. I cant see another way to deal with it.

You are assuming the contractor will act illegally. If you dont trust them find a new contractor. I cant see another way to deal with it.

Nevertheless, this happens sometimes. It is not that I don't trust them, I just don't know them. I have four quotes for the demolition and know very little about any of the companies.

airtasker.com.au

People use it for all sorts of things. I have seen tasks on there where people have wanted someone to stand in a queue for them, or come along to their birthday and take photos, or whatever. I once got someone from there to come to my house and teach my daughter algebra.

Offer to pay someone $15 per hour to sit and watch the demo. They can do it from their car. I bet you would get a taker.

Scott

airtasker.com.au

People use it for all sorts of things. I have seen tasks on there where people have wanted someone to stand in a queue for them, or come along to their birthday and take photos, or whatever. I once got someone from there to come to my house and teach my daughter algebra.

Offer to pay someone $15 per hour to sit and watch the demo. They can do it from their car. I bet you would get a taker.

Scott

I don't understand how this is relevant, I got the quotes from a similar site: serviceseeking.com.au.

I don't understand how this is relevant, I got the quotes from a similar site: serviceseeking.com.au.

You have asked for suggestions and I am not sure what you are hoping to get in reply.

You can either trust your demo guys or you can pay someone to watch them. I think you have limited options here. Maybe tell the demo guy specifically that you will be checking to ensure no asbestos is left on site - might be enough to make them think twice.

You have asked for suggestions and I am not sure what you are hoping to get in reply.

You can either trust your demo guys or you can pay someone to watch them. I think you have limited options here. Maybe tell the demo guy specifically that you will be checking to ensure no asbestos is left on site - might be enough to make them think twice.

Ooh! I did not realise you were talking about hiring someone to watch them. I will think about it.

Is demolition requested by council? If yes, you could tell the demo guys that final payment based on council saying ok.

We had this a year or so back on a property that was burned down, and council requested demo because of asbestos and place was getting unstable. Organised demo from overseas, paid half upfront and another half after council checked and said that they're happy with everything.

Go past the day they strip the asbestos off the walls, do a walk around the yard and see if it looks dug up. Usually when they demolish a house they do the asbestos separate to the frame work.

What do you think would be cheaper for the contractors: wrap the sheets in plastic and take them to the tip, or pay to get an excavator in to dig a hole, dump the sheets in the hole, cover up the hole again with the soil, compact it, remove the excess soil in a tip truck, then make good the landscaping so you cannot see what they did.

Really, get a grip ffs.

Hi,

I am planning to demolish my old house, which has plenty of asbestos. Is there a way to ensure the demolition guys don't bury asbestos in my lot?

Thanks.

Yes, it does happen. The best way to mitigate your risks are to try and pick a demolisher with some reputation and to visit the site often. esp when the asbestos is being removed as someone suggested. Also ask for receipt from the tip but this is easy for them to produce from another job.

Worst experience i have had with construction is from the demolishers. So many are so dodgy. Pls also be on the watch for them finding asbestos in the foundations which allows them to vary costs.

Only way to really be 100% sure is having someone watching as someone suggested but you will need to consider your cost/benefit.

Yes, it does happen. The best way to mitigate your risks are to try and pick a demolisher with some reputation and to visit the site often. esp when the asbestos is being removed as someone suggested. Also ask for receipt from the tip but this is easy for them to produce from another job.

Tip receipt has the truck rego, weight, time etc

If they are doing the job on a fixed price then they have no obligation to provide you with any tip dockets or other evidence of disposal.

Tools

Hire a drone to hover around the property and film the work. Two or three days of drone hire wouldn't be much. If everything is going fine get the drone to scan the neighbourhood for any topless sun bathers :D May as well get your moneys worth !

What do you think would be cheaper for the contractors: wrap the sheets in plastic and take them to the tip, or pay to get an excavator in to dig a hole, dump the sheets in the hole, cover up the hole again with the soil, compact it, remove the excess soil in a tip truck, then make good the landscaping so you cannot see what they did.

Really, get a grip ffs.

I think the OP is talking about a demo crew that are a bit careless and some fragments are left behind. I heard of a builder doing a soil test after a 3rd party demo and hitting the owner up for 20k soil contamination costs

Back