How to manage bills in dual occupancy apartment

How do you manage bills in dual occupancy apartment?

Hi,

Can someone give me an information about Power Supply for Dual Occupancy Apartment please?

I have purchased a dual-key apartment off-the-plan in QLD 1.5 years ago and the settlement is in due in 2 weeks. Recently when the construction nearly completed state, I was told that I would need to be the holder of the power account on going basis to pay electricity bills and get reimbursement from tenants by Site manager (they charge me a fee for this service).

In accordance with the contract, 'separate power meters for each key' are installed but actually they are just a check meters to check power usages between Unit ?A? and unit ?B?.

I thought electricity bills should go to tenants directly but the seller's solicitor said I was purchasing consists of 1 title (not two) therefore there can only be 1 electricity bill and I need to pay the bill on behalf of tenants.

Is that true? Property under 1 title can only have 1 power supply? What about the Granny Flats or other dual occupancy apartments ? Do owners need to pay electricity bill for tenants and then get reimbursed later? Is that a normal way to operate?

In the meantime, regarding Water supply, I know the owner is responsible to pay service/sewage and tenant is responsible to pay the usage so it is better to have a single account with just usage check meters... However actually they installed 2 water meters somehow so I concern if this ends up to me to be charged double service/sewage...

I doubt the builder/developer made a mistake when wiring and didn't place individual power supply to each key while they did placed unnecessary individual water supply.

Please let me know how owners of dual occupancy property arrange electricity, water, gas bills with the tenants.

Thank you very much in advance.

My PPOR is a dual key (Melbourne, built by Devine, a QLD developer). As built there was only one electric meter for the two halves but they came back and split the supply and there are now two supplier meters and each of us (me and my studio tenant) have separate agreements with utility companies.

Cold and hot water go through one meter each so I have to pay it all (it's not a large amount; some DK owners have paid to have split metering), aircon chilled water has a separate meter for each of us, and gas to cooktops isn't metered - Owners Corp pays ($4000p.a. for 500 units which tells you how few people cook!)

Hi @Tony3008,

Thank you very much for your reply.

> As built there was only one electric meter for the two halves but they came back
> and split the supply and there are now two supplier meters and each of us
> (me and my studio tenant) have separate agreements with utility companies.

Oh, so property under 1 title can have 2 supplier meters! Besides one power supply can be split after the construction completed and a tenant moved in. If so the seller's solicitor told me a lie...
Anyway that's a great news. Would you mind to tell me the cost to install two supplier meters please? Or builder paid for it in your case? Was it a big job requiring making holes on the wall?
If the builder/vendor doesn't split the supply, I might consider to do at my end if it doesn't cost too much.

agu

The developer paid for it. It wouldn't have been that cheap since we only have a meter room on every third floor, so splitting required the installation of that length of submain and then replacing the consumer unit fuseboard in the common entrance hall with two, one for each side. It was in hand when I moved in so I don't know the history but would presume that investment owners kicked up at getting big electricity bills they couldn't pass on.

Dear Tony3008,

Thank you very much for your reply.
I think my developer should do the same. I will talk to the solicitor.
Thanks again.

agu

Speaking to Energex once, in QLD you should be able to divide one source into two different meters. Not a sub-meter, but a proper meter which can be read and billed separately.:)

Where in qld? Different councils have different rules. For example two separate meters isn't allowed in Brisbane because dual occupancy isn't allowed.

I'd go back & talk to your solicitor. If it says that two meters will be fitted, then that is exactly what you should get.

Back