How to manage strata and avoid fees?

Hi Guys,

Recently i completed 3 townhouses on one land, and im nearly done with another duplex, im in process of organizing strata approval from council, still not registered with lands title office.
My question is how to self manage strata? someone told me that i can only pay insurance and make a agreement with the buyers that everyone looks after their own property and yard and that way there is no strata fees?

Do i need to start my own self-managed strata company in order to do this legally? Do i need to organise this before i submit papers to lands title office??

The only reason why im doing is i kept one property at each address and would like to avoid strata fees, considering im a builder and legally if anything goes wrong i need to fix it anyway, i doubt anything will.

Hope someone has done this before and can help out :D

This is a decision of the body corporate ie whether the other parties want to appoint a strata manager or if they want to self manage.

So you really want to do a cert iv for stra management?

Thanks for your reply Scott,

What other parties? You mean the new buyers? these ppl only left deposits and they dont own and won't own the property unless the strata is registered, and there is no body corporate yet, that's what im trying to register?

Thanks Scott, i new that i was waiting on his feedback, i just wanted to check here if someone can give few valuable advices.

I gather you're selling the townhouses, and wanting to basically function as torrens title.

For this you'd need, what used to be called, a "dashed" strata plan (not sure if it's still called this) - means the buyer is responsible for everything within the dashed (on the plan) portion of their property - but anything that is joint, ie, sewer line connection to mains, is everyone's responsibility.

Talk to your surveyor and solicitor/conveyancer.

Back