How to motivate family to read.....

W

WebBoard

Hi all,
For the last 12 months, since I've discovered this forum, I have read almost all books recommended on wealth creation & property investment. In 7 years we managed to almost pay off the PPOR and buy the first IP. I'm good on implementing but not as good on motivating the rest of the family to read the books. Any good suggestions?

Regards
Alex

Last edited by a moderator:
Reply: 1

Hi Alex

I have found through both my personal and professional experiences that the best way to motivate family is to say little and wait for them to ask how and why you are so successful.

Then, and only then, are they ready to listen and learn.

Others may well have found differently.

Dale

Reply: 1.1

The teacher arrives when the student is ready.

Duncan.

Reply: 2

A game of Cashflow helped my wife to realise what I had been talking about. Peter Spann's "Intro to Wealth" video also helped.

I've recently bought our third IP, and poised for a fourth. We would not have gone past our first without her support and active participation.

Reply: 2.1

I'll agree with Geoff, Cashflow is a great icebreaker and even on a simple Level ...monopoly. My wife was not overly keen but I sold her on the possibilities and her first read was John Burley. She actually found that it was worth reading....surprise surprise..\
good luck
AD

Reply: 3

Hi Alex
I still haven't really got my husband to read anything specifically about investing, although he does read more general personal development stuff, eg Anthony Robbins and others, and has read Kiyosaki.
The thing is, I had to start, and although it freaked him out at the time, gradually I won him over.
I also found Cashflow very useful, after thumping him and some friends at it regularly over a period of months, he began to realise I think that maybe something I was doing was right, and became a lot more interested in the game and principles.
He also went to a seminar (I think it was an Anthony Robbins intro night) and heard a speaker there who was talking about share options. Funnily enough, he asked the room, does anyone own Newscorp shares? Hubbyput his hand up (we'd actually discussed what I was doing with shares and options the day before, so he had some idea) and about 1/10th of the room also put their hands up. Then the guy asked how many people have written calls on those shares, and hubby was only one of about 3 hands still up. The guy then went on to congratulate him for being so smart etc etc
I actually think that night did more to turn hubby around than anything, to have someone he thought so highly of obviously praising what I was doing really blew him away.
Anyway, that's my experience! At least now he listens to what I explain to him, asks any questions, and then trusts to let me go ahead.
But the reality is that investment is my passion, not his, and that's fine.
Keep smiling
Felicity :cool:

Reply: 3.1

I would like to suggest getting a hold of Sean O'Reilly's book, "Anyone can be a Millionaire" and passed this on to them. (a cheap book, simple to read, easy to follow). In my case, my 18 y.o. daughter, then saved for six mths and got a deposit on her own I.P. which is up and running. Jan Somer's books (Story by Story) also helped.

Reply: 3.1.1

My husband is very slow to motivate. We had 2 IP's (one by default) and he was talking to someone at work who suggested he read Rich Dad Poor Dad. Since he was keen to read this book I bought it for him.

Funnily enough he would not listen to anything I said or read any of my books at this stage, and we later discovered the guy at work had analysis paralysis and still has nothing.

After reading this he was quite interested and even supported me on an interstate trip to buy property.

He still does not read very much, so I just leave him to it, but he is quite keen and hopes to be out of the work force in 10 years.

Deb

Reply: 3.1.1.1

I'm with Dale here- wait until they are ready or else you are flogging a dead horse. I am fortunate in that my husband shares my passion for investing. However, he loves shares whereas I'm hooked on property. No matter how much he tries to entice me to read a book by L.Bedford or listen to Rene Rivkin's audios, I just can't get into shares.

The key is motivation, and you can't try to get someone else interested in something they're not. They have to want to learn. Wait until you're asked and your experience is truly sought.
Cheers, Jacque :)

Reply: 3.1.1.1.1

I have the same problem with my husband, I have started quoting him different things from the books as I am reading them, nothing too heavy, but he now seems to think I am onto something. He has decided that this is my project and he is happy for me to pursue the matter on my own. We are about ready to buy our second IP, which he thought would be impossible the bank would never lend us any more money. So I contacted the Bank, crunched some numbers and came up with a figure we could borrow for another IP.

I pointed out some houses in the paper within our price range and husband suggested I look at them and then put in an offer (all without him, leaving his chair). He figures if I do all the homework, inspections etc and it does not greatly impede on our standard of living, then I can have a go. He has already seen some results from our first IP, so the proof in the pudding is in the eating as they say.

mum investor

Reply: 3.1.1.1.1.1

Interesting thread. I am having the opposite problem, I am very interested and see it as an escape from the rat race, my wife only concerned about how much is her tax return and why we need sooo muuucchhh debt. Unfortunately she is not alone. Lots of people still do not get it that those times when "study hard, get good grades and get a good job and the company and the government will look after you" gone. You have to do it yourself. It is just easier when your partner also has a great desire and interest to get there. I am still hoping on e day she might just change her mind, but I am currently sticking with Dale's advice and let her to come around. Fortunately have some friends who are just as desperate as I am to get out of the rat race.

Tibor

Reply: 3.1.1.1.1.1.1

Hi all and thank you for your replies.
I think I will take the advise of wait and see, firstly because the wife has absolute trust and support on what I'm doing (Although it would be easier for me if she had the same motivation) and secondly I hope the kids slowly but surely they will realise that the books I read they have changed my way of thinking and doing things.

Regards
Alex

Back