How to pass on water bills to tennant. QLD

just got water bills for a couple of properties and started thinking of passing on these to tennants as they are relatively substantial. How does one go about doing this. Will ask the PM eventually but thought I might just throw it on here while I was logged in.

The water usage bills from our IPs goes direct to the PM. The pm always pays the acc then invoices them onto the tenant. This way we dont get overdue fee s
It is in our leases that the tenant pays water usage.
Tenant pays for a special reading when vacating the property, tenant pays up balance owing.
There is several rentals near my ppor and the absolute wastage of water in these rentals is sickening. The owners pay for water usage. FOOLS
cheers
yadreamin

Everything you need to know can be found here: http://www.rta.qld.gov.au/water_charging_1.cfm

Generally the property must meet water efficient standards as well as stating that the tenant will be charged for all water in the lease. It must be noted, if your property does not meet the water efficiency guidelines, 100% water can not be charged. In this situation it is usually charged above what is deemed reasonable use. Resonable use is often outlined in the lease.

water_flow_chart.jpg

Hi Joel. I was more interested in the actual process of how to pass on the bill to the tennant.

yadreaming, does your water bill have your name on it or the real estate agents. If its under your name, if there is a late fee wouldn't it get back to you as ultimately the bill will be under your name.

Hi Joel. I was more interested in the actual process of how to pass on the bill to the tennant.

yadreaming, does your water bill have your name on it or the real estate agents. If its under your name, if there is a late fee wouldn't it get back to you as ultimately the bill will be under your name.

The easiest way in this situation is to have the bill sent directly to the PM. This way you should not be liable for any overdue charges nor worry about paying the bill.

The other way would be to pay the bill yourself and then send the paid invoice to the PM. The PM will then pass this onto the tenants who have one month to pay their share of the bill from the time they recieve it.

Water consumption accounts have the PM s name and address on it. It used to have the tenants name but then we had a few late/non payments and l ended up having to pay the fee.
PM pays the acc out of the rent money then tenant has to pay PM.
The yearly water rates comes direct to me with my name on it.

If we have a bad tenant and they skip then we have the rights to take the water consumption arrears out of the bond money thats held.

cheers
yadreamin

I do believe that all rates and water accounts will only be issued in the name of the property owner here in QLD. You can arrange for them to be addressed c/- the agent. Also, in Qld, we have been able to charge excess water to the tenant for quite some time, provided that is set out in the lease. All going well, this is what your PM has done, so sent the accounts to the PM and they will be taken care of.
Good luck.

Back