How to put forward your case to council? Cross over

Hi all,
I was after some advice as to how I can tackle a situation with the council.
I have DA approval for a second dwelling to the rear of my PPOR and just unsuccessfully applied for a second crossover. The basis was that the approved permit already shows a parking space for the front which connects to the driveway. I spoke to council about amending the permit but they said I do not have much chance because:
1 - engineering will not be keen for a second crossover because it will take another parking space of the street.
2 - aesthetically it means more concrete.

The second crossover I want is to the right side of the property as the existing is to the left. The reason I want this is:
1 - to get into the front parking space means you enter the crossover and then need to maneovuare right, this is fine but when you reverse it is very tricky as the brick fence gap is minimal requiring good driving. It's also dangerous and when the property is completed you need to add additional traffic.
2 - Astheticslly I think the council is wrong because currently it's just one piece of connected driveway to parking space of 7m. By moving the existing parking space to the right then it will allow me to put up a clear fenced boundary between the front and back dwelling.
3 - If I want to put a carport up then the current space is at the front of my lounge window which means bye bye beautiful light. The proposed new space is front of bedroom window which I do Not care about as much.
4 - the separation removes any body corporate and public liability issues

I am going to attempt to update the planning permit based on my above but want to put forward my case in As much detail as possible. I plan on driving the neigborhood and taking photos but was wondering if anyone else had any advice? Any suggestions for how I can tackle this? Ways to put my case forward strongly.etc.

Thank You

The second crossover I want is to the right side of the property as the existing is to the left. The reason I want this is:
1 - to get into the front parking space means you enter the crossover and then need to maneovuare right, this is fine but when you reverse it is very tricky as the brick fence gap is minimal requiring good driving. It's also dangerous and when the property is completed you need to add additional traffic.

Knock down your fence, problem solved

2 - Astheticslly I think the council is wrong because currently it's just one piece of connected driveway to parking space of 7m. By moving the existing parking space to the right then it will allow me to put up a clear fenced boundary between the front and back dwelling.

Why don't you close off the existing driveway & make a wider driveway on the other side to serve both houses?

3 - If I want to put a carport up then the current space is at the front of my lounge window which means bye bye beautiful light. The proposed new space is front of bedroom window which I do Not care about as much.

Put an alsynite roof on the carport instead of metal deck.

4 - the separation removes any body corporate and public liability issues.

If this is a second dwelling on your own block, there is no body corporate. Liability lies with you/your insurer. That is why good design is essential.

Thanks Toby, I will definitely give a place I just looked up a call and see what advice they can offer! I never even considered a 3rd party traffic engineer.

Hey Scott, just in response
1 - I could knock the fence down but really this is not ideal at all. A nice fence looks much better and also given the block is about to be subdivided then s lot of the backyard will be lost. As a result I think it's very important to have s front fenced yard for the kids to play in.

2 - Not sure exactly what you mean by this? If you meant remove the existing crossover then this will not work as the other side cannot run to the back to service the back property.

3 - That is s very good idea and I sm sure something council will also suggest, thanks for the heads up!

4 - The properties will be on seperate titles so my understanding is I will need body corporate as the driveway will be common land.

Back