How to Raise Stove Height??

I have bought a Stainless Freestanding oven. It stands on 4 adjustable legs but I want to raise it an extra 50mm higher than the legs adjust to.

Is there any sort of adaptor available that can be used apart from standing a paving brick under each leg?

I believe that you can buy longer legs to bolt on in place of what you have.

We had a similar problem so the kitchen installers built a platform to raise it to the required height.

Finding new legs would have been easier but they were kitchen makers and that was all they could do :eek:

Simon I spoke to Westinghouse agent and as tld they dont make them. I was wondering of any general product/adaptor available. Doesnt have to be specifically for a oven.

Hi Rixter
I would take out one of the bolts and take it down to the local Hardware to frind one the same thread 50mm longer. If no luck there try an auto parts shop. If the plastic boots are not removeable, use rubber stoppers similar to those used on the bottom of kitchen stools.
Good luck
Simon

simonjulie said:
Hi Rixter
I would take out one of the bolts and take it down to the local Hardware to frind one the same thread 50mm longer. If no luck there try an auto parts shop. If the plastic boots are not removeable, use rubber stoppers similar to those used on the bottom of kitchen stools.
Good luck
Simon

Hi Simon,

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately the legs arnt a threaded bolt. Each leg has 2 x 50mm diameter cylindrical sliding stainless sleeves that screws out to a length of approx 130mm.

Rixter said:
Simon I spoke to Westinghouse agent and as tld they dont make them. I was wondering of any general product/adaptor available. Doesnt have to be specifically for a oven.

The other prob we had was that our stove has a removable plate in front of the legs going to the ground. This is a set size and would not extend to cover any new bolted on legs - one of the reasons we went with a melamine platform.

Depending on the brand of upright cooker and its width, the best option maybe to install runners along the adjacent cupboards and slide the upright cooker into the cavity at the height that you desire. Then continue the kick board along the front of the upright cooker to finish it off.

Check the installation instructions to see if this is allowed, for future insurance concerns etc.

Rixter
Try a commercial oven/stove supplier as commercial stoves do sit higher than the resi ones..
Othey option have a stainless steel box type of thing made to sit the stove on.
goodluck
yadreamin

Rixter,

We had the same issue with our freestanding oven as we have over-height benchtops in our kitchen and we needed it to be the same height. Our kitchen installer just took the legs off altogether and built a platform from a sheet of particleboard which he attached four other adjustable legs too that he sourced separately. He then raised it to the required height, sat the legless oven on top, and the platform and legs were hidden behind the kickboard. The cabinet height and the oven height were constant so we just have an over-height kickboard all the way round now due to the overheight benchtops. Hope that makes sense...

Cheers,
Michael.

Rixter,
Make your benches lower - easy :D

Theyre called levelling legs. Maybe if you post up the model number we can Google it.

If not, take them off and take them into a fitter and turner. They should be able to reproduce them, just longer. Probably cost you bugger all.

RJ

ramone_johnny said:
Rixter,
Make your benches lower - easy :D

Theyre called levelling legs. Maybe if you post up the model number we can Google it.

If not, take them off and take them into a fitter and turner. They should be able to reproduce them, just longer. Probably cost you bugger all.

RJ

RJ heres a link to the Westinghouse DSK965S freestanding oven.

A picture is shown on page 4.

Rixter, probably this is a really daft idea, but... could you leave the existing legs on and buy metal pipe a slightly thicker diameter and cut to the length you want and sleeve over the top? Once in place it wouldn't move.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I think I will combine a couple together.

Get a Kick board to cover the front and your suggestion Tizzy is a great idea. I just need to measure the leg diameter and get some stainless steel pipe cut to suit.

Hi Rixter

Some years ago I had a look through an 'affordable housing' development in Fitzroy, and noticed that the upright stove was on a plinth to make it level with the general bench top.

No idea why this was so, but it didn't look out of place, and in fact would have been good to have a drawer in it to store baking trays or whatever.

If you are going with the sleeved leg idea, I would consider having a flange at the top of the sleeve. Metal has a habit on expanding when hot, and over time this could weaken the pressure point where the stove rests on the sleeves. A flange would distribute the pressure a bit more evenly so you didn't end up with one leg longer - or shorter - than the others, probably at the front where you will be using the jet / hot plate more than at the rear of the range top.

Cheers

Kristine

Rixter said:
Hi Simon,

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately the legs arnt a threaded bolt. Each leg has 2 x 50mm diameter cylindrical sliding stainless sleeves that screws out to a length of approx 130mm.
take both halves of one leg to a steel supplier, and match the inner piece with four pieces 65mm longer (incase of uneven floor) however it was made, it was made from stock size billets, (usually made from standard size tube, too expensive otherwise), so the steel should be available

Back