how to reduce noise from neighbours to our bedrooms

OUr bedrooms are all down the side of our house, not far from the neighbours current 2 storey house. wecan hear everything in their rooms near us and we get woken by snoring, singing talking as our windows are so close to theirs .

the new owner will demolish this current home and build another large 2 storey home. Are there requests i could make in this planing stages,

eg that i want to retain the privacy of my garden,
or to do anything possible to reduce noise to our bedrooms,
eg double glass windows
or their windows not so close to our windows
or whatever they feel they can look at?
Any suggestions please?

So long as the neighbour abides by all the council regulations there is probably nothing you can do. If a relaxation of rules is needed then you may have some input.

In the long term, you are best to install double glazing on your bedroom window(s) and install air conditioning.

We had double glazing installed at my work and the difference was truly amazing.
Marg

If you get on with them, definitely talk to them before the plans get drawn up. If they are reasonable people they might take your concerns into account.

Any suggestions please?

They may at some time prior too the plans being passed ask you to sign off on some extras in the plan,just ask them if you both can install a 2400 mts fence,just a high fence from experience can stop a lot of the noise transfer
from building to building..imho..

If you can address it with the neighbour at design stage great but you should still have a review when the notification drawing is issued.

Windows should not be facing directly into adjoining windows. You can request that windows facing your property are at 1800 mm above ffl, are opaque, operate so that they cannot look directly into your property or that privacy screens are fitted.

If you can address it with the neighbour at design stage great but you should still have a review when the notification drawing is issued.
Is that the case even in the absence of a requirement for a DA? We're about to build in Brissie, and nobody gets any notifications or input if you remain within the "as of right" setbacks and other standard building parameters.

Only if planning consent is required. If there's no requirement for content from council then you miss out.

Build some raised planter boxes and put in some advanced hedging shrubs or trees eg dwarf lilipilli etc.

Is that the case even in the absence of a requirement for a DA? We're about to build in Brissie, and nobody gets any notifications or input if you remain within the "as of right" setbacks and other standard building parameters.

This is the case in Brisbane, but other states differ.

A friend's son built in Hornsby Council (NSW) area and his plans were delayed for over 12 months as the neighbours had rights of objection simply because they did not like his plans, window location etc. and one simply did not want a house built on the block at all !!!
Marg

Back