How to start...exercising

When I moved to Cairns I didn't want find a new gym to join but needed something to keep me active, especially something to do inside when the weather doesn't permit outside activities.

I found this really good channel on youtube that has home based exercises --> https://www.youtube.com/user/FitnessBlender

If I want a decent workout that will get me sweating I usually rotate between these:
60 Minute HIIT Cardio and Abs Workout - Fitness Blender Tabata HIIT, Abs and Obliques Workout
1000 Calorie Workout Video: 94 Minute Insane HIIT & Bodyweight Workout
1000 Calorie Workout Video: HIIT, Strength Training, Abs and Obliques Workout (need dumbbells for this one)

And for when I want something a bit easier or of lower intensity:
Fat Burning HIIT Pilates Workout - 35 Minute Pilates and HIIT Cardio Blend
Stretching, Pilates, Yoga Workout Blend - Relaxing Stretching Routine to Relieve Stress & Back Pain

I just play the videos on my TV and go nuts in my loungeroom.

So cmon you fitness people, how is it done?
I completely "cheat" on this one because whenever possible I cycle to work and home again. It's on 9km each way, but it means that most work days I get at least 50 mins of exercise. Biggest advantage is time saved commuting. While it takes around 25 mins to cycle (I'm slow), it can take up to 50 mins to catch the bus to the train and then train to city.

On top of this I walk to the local shops and run three times a week. The running is coming along very slowly though because I am not a natural runner and can only increase my distance very gradually. To give you some idea, I started running on 1st of July this year and am still not up to the point where I can run 5km.

For us "oldies", walking is probably a lot better. My parter walks briskly for an hour most days a week.

Squats, bench, deadlift, pull ups, dips, overhead press, rows, planks

Start with light weight, add weight incrementally, use proper form. More fun than jogging IMO and adds strength and toning to muscles too.

Zero cardio. Monitor what you eat.

Attachments

• 28.10.14 - Anon.jpg
    28.10.14 - Anon.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 84
Cardio is a waste of time, unless your cardio is also acting as effective transportation.
Or, unless you enjoy cardio for some odd reason.
Or are a competitive athlete.

Alternatively, buy a dog if you don't have one. Dogs need walking and exercise, so very good motivation. Not bad companions either.

+1. The only exercise I ever do is walk my dogs daily, sometimes only for 20 mins but other times, like today, for 10 kms+. I have never felt fitter in my life and the dogs are so happy being walked that much. It's a true win-win :D

+1. The only exercise I ever do is walk my dogs daily, sometimes only for 20 mins but other times, like today, for 10 kms+. I have never felt fitter in my life and the dogs are so happy being walked that much. It's a true win-win :D

One the weekends I sometimes get up really early and take my dog for a 10+km walk. We both love it.

Back off everybody :eek: I was just saying what I'd heard. Whether it's right or wrong or whether you want to follow it is up to you.

Can't find the Michael Mosely quote and don't know which of his health/fitness docos it was from.

I did find these however,
http://www.livestrong.com/article/422775-worst-times-to-exercise/

http://webcenters.netscape.compuser...e=fte/worsttimetoexercise/worsttimetoexercise

http://www.fitbie.com/get-fit/tips/best-and-worst-times-exercise

so there is some science to it.

Anyway, the general advice is ANY exercise is better than no exercise and the best time to exercise is when you FEEL like exercising as your body gives good indications of when it feels like being active or feels too sluggish to do anything.

Anyway, the general advice is ANY exercise is better than no exercise and the best time to exercise is when you FEEL like exercising as your body gives good indications of when it feels like being active or feels too sluggish to do anything.

Q. When does an inactive obese person feel like exercising? (not targeting anybody specifically).
A. All the time, of course :rolleyes:

Fact is, you need to make a commitment to exercise and stick to it whether you "feel" like it or not, pending any restrictive injury.

Sorry to be tough but that's how it is in reality.

Hi Olly

Queried the Michael Mosley comments as I've watched a fair bit of his BBC stuff, very interesting. I'm giving intermittent fasting a crack at present

Re the Gym I hadn't been in a typical gym for ages but did the other day as I had the opportunity, it was a typical globogym so I tried some heavy squats and deadlifts

Hi Olly

Queried the Michael Mosley comments as I've watched a fair bit of his BBC stuff, very interesting. I'm giving intermittent fasting a crack at present

Re the Gym I hadn't been in a typical gym for ages but did the other day as I had the opportunity, it was a typical globogym so I tried some heavy squats and deadlifts

What sort of training are you doing at the moment, then?

This part needs more numbers!

Back