How to start...exercising

Do you have access to any gear Blacky, or are you looking for what you can do with Bodyweight alone?

There's a number of cheap devices you can use also

Skipping Rope
Doorway Pull-up Bar
Suspension Trainer
Gymnastic Rings

One of these ;)

images

Blacky

3 days since you started the thread, how much exercise has been done.

Fire up :D:D

Ok - well I have been to the gym each day. 3kms on a treadmill in one form or another.
Day one I clocked a 22:40, day two was 22:05 and today was 21:05.

Today was the first day 'running' non-stop (what I do shouldn't be described as running - its more like a 'flamingo lurch').

So Im not breaking any records, but thats not the plan at this point. I have committed to go to the gym everyday for a month, and do 3kms. If that means walking 3clicks, then so be it. As long as I go.

I would prefer outdoor flamingo lurching but its winter here and getting too cold (I know, Im a *****). However, "its too cold" will be an excuse I will use, so Im removing that temptation.

I have looked into the triathlon thing and like the idea of it. Step 1 is 1 month of daily exercise. After that Ill step it up. I have drawn up a plan and will try and stick to it. Consistancy will be my biggest challenge.

Blacky

Do you have access to any gear Blacky, or are you looking for what you can do with Bodyweight alone?

At this stage I'm not concerned about my body weight. Just my fitness level, and mobility.

I do have access to gym equipment, but have no idea how to use any of it, and would rather not learn by trial and error. If I had access to an instructor I might consider it, but in the meantime Im sticking with what I know.

I have been to the gym a few times and feel pretty ok, except I am tired (might be more to do with my recent cold than the exercise). However, I have an insatiable thirst. Ive been drinking like 4l of water a day. Odd...

Blacky

Ok - well I have been to the gym each day. 3kms on a treadmill in one form or another.
Day one I clocked a 22:40, day two was 22:05 and today was 21:05.

I have looked into the triathlon thing and like the idea of it. Step 1 is 1 month of daily exercise. After that Ill step it up. I have drawn up a plan and will try and stick to it. Consistancy will be my biggest challenge.

Blacky

Well done Blacky, look for consistency, thats the secret.

Goolge the gym equipment for videos on how to use it.

I have been watching this thread, but not posting my real thoughts until now.

Im very passionate about exercising (as most are aware), and I think the only place 'drive' comes from is within. You have to stand in front of a mirror and talk yourself into your exercising goals (with added sly flexes for good measure). Noone else is going to get you up in the morning, or make you do those 100 push-ups or sit-ups. Noone is there constantly in your ear telling you how to live your life and if exercise is going to be part of that.

Being fat and lazy is a choice. Smoking, drinking etc are lifestyle choices. Being fit and healthy is a choice. You just have to choose the right one that fits you.

My personal motivator is pain. I kinda like pain, and see how far I can go with it. I love when the elements make it tough.

Now go find your mirror (and motivator). There is no denying its tough. Make sure you do it for a reason, and not for the sake.

pinkboy

At this stage I'm not concerned about my body weight. Just my fitness level, and mobility.

Functional Fitness is great for fitness and mobility

Apparently you store more fat as you age as you weren't able to be as successful a hunter?

I do have access to gym equipment, but have no idea how to use any of it, and would rather not learn by trial and error. If I had access to an instructor I might consider it, but in the meantime Im sticking with what I know.

I have been to the gym a few times and feel pretty ok, except I am tired (might be more to do with my recent cold than the exercise). However, I have an insatiable thirst. Ive been drinking like 4l of water a day. Odd...

Blacky

Some days I'll just walk on the treadmill and increase the incline 1 degree each minute, then when its at its peak, work my way back down - doesn't take long to get a good sweat and that's just at a brisk walking pace

I prefer to jog outside than on a treadmill, but that's not so good when it's snake season in our area (though I do run faster through any dark patches on an evening jog) :D

i put on a heap of weight when we had our twins 7 months ago.
the only way i stay motivated for exercise is to play sport (just social).
indoor netball and oztag/touch footy.
its been about a year now since i stopped playing and i hate myself more and more everyday,
soon i will be able to get back into it.

No.1 piece of exercise equipment = Barbell.

Not enough people make use of this simple apparatus, probably because they believe some complicated and expensive apparatus will be more effective, but this is not the case.

For best bang for buck, you can do barbell complexes which will enhance muscle strength and cardio efficiency.
Body composition will then be determined by diet.

Start light and add weights for more resistance as you progress.

Blacky

I'm definitely not a fitness guru but wanted to mention some things I've seen -
1. In a Michael Mosely fitness doco it was pointed out that mornings is actually the worst time to exercise as it takes a while for the bodys 'rhythyms' to rise into day mode after a nights sleep. Basically going from slow (resting) to fast (exercising) isn't good. (Not to be confused with exercise bursts.)

2. A recent story on 60 minutes pointed out the dangers of breath holding that swimmers (competitors) are encouraged to use. No benefits have been found using this technique. Many people (kids mainly) have died from it - it's called 'shallow water blackout'. Constant breath holding eventually tricks the brain and it forgets to send the "breath now" signal.

3. Yet another story I've seen is how more and more Indians are getting diabetes even though they are slim and exercise. You say you are slim but have a massive thirst since starting exercise - I'd suggest you get checked for diabetes as a big thirst and fatigue are symptoms.

Good for you for starting btw.

Start a garden. A truly serious garden & from scratch !

You will be doing all the exercise you need and as naturally as you possibly can do it.

No need for gyms, triathlons, cycling hundreds klms etc.

Move a lot, but vary the pace and angles at times and twice a week sprint flat out for 5 mins. Like a tiger is chasing you.

You already eat properly and not prone to fat so maybe this is all you need.

The measure of your fitness/wellness will be reflected in your garden.

The garden will take care of your physical and mental fitness and one day you will be proud to show it off.

Seriously!:)

No - Im retired from running.

pinkboy

I'm just tired ;)

1. In a Michael Mosely fitness doco it was pointed out that mornings is actually the worst time to exercise as it takes a while for the bodys 'rhythyms' to rise into day mode after a nights sleep. Basically going from slow (resting) to fast (exercising) isn't good. (Not to be confused with exercise bursts.)

I like exercising in the mornings to start the day so tried to find where he said this (do you have a link) I only found this from Michael Mosley

Can I exercise on a fast day?
There is good evidence that people who exercise in the fasted state burn more fat. In one study men who exercised before breakfast burnt more fat than those who exercised afterwards. Exercise can also be a useful distraction if you begin feeling peckish. Don?t, however, attempt to do a lot of endurance training on a fasting day and if you feel uncomfortable, stop.

2. A recent story on 60 minutes pointed out the dangers of breath holding that swimmers (competitors) are encouraged to use. No benefits have been found using this technique. Many people (kids mainly) have died from it - it's called 'shallow water blackout'. Constant breath holding eventually tricks the brain and it forgets to send the "breath now" signal.

Thanks for the info

As a competitive freediver I am well aware of the risks of apnea and apnea related exercise. Breathold training is about the only training I have ever done. ;)

I also get by blood sugar checked regularly - part of the quirks of oil and gas work is annual medicals. All is fine there.

Ive been trying to exercise each morning, usually before breakfast just because its a convenient time. Its been working ok.

On thursday I clocked 20:11 for 3kms and kept running to the 3.5kms mark (23:35). I had a rest day yesterday.
Im about to go to the gym now.

This week will be hard, as Im travelling, so it will throw my routine a bit, but will see how I get on. At least I will be walking a lot.

Blacky

Pretty irrelevant.

There is never a bad time to exercise, probably except to wake up in the middle of the night to exercise then try and sleep again.

The best time is the most convenient time.

So many professional/elite athletes exercise first thing in the morning, are they doing it wrong?

Back