How to start...exercising

Nice nice. How old are you again? :p

I don't get asked for ID if that's what you mean :D

After a workout I like a good hot spa bath, so you can guess my age from a recent photo, I have a few more grey hairs than some of my mates

jaws43.jpg

Q. When does an inactive obese person feel like exercising? (not targeting anybody specifically).
A. All the time, of course :rolleyes:

Fact is, you need to make a commitment to exercise and stick to it whether you "feel" like it or not, pending any restrictive injury.

Sorry to be tough but that's how it is in reality.

When I was referring to 'feeling' like training I was meaning a time in the day to do it not whether to do it at all.

Cardio is a waste of time, unless your cardio is also acting as effective transportation.
Or, unless you enjoy cardio for some odd reason.
Or are a competitive athlete.

While we're on the subject of wastes of time (or at least, potential ones).

I started training again recently after a few years off (aside from cycling around the place, which kept me fit, but bone skinny). I'm down about 15kg from my peak training weight.

So, when I started back up I decided to experiment a little and be more economical with my time and money invested in training. I used to be nuts -- 6 x a week; 75-90 minutes a session; lots of stretching, warming up, cooling down, cardio etc; eating 20,000 kilojoules a day over 6-8 meals; taking all the usual supplements etc.

Now I lift cold (no warming up at all), go directly home, do no stretching, no cardio and just eat food, not powder.

And I feel better for it. Gains aren't as quick and I am not quite as flexible but I feel fantastic, haven't experienced any pains or injuries and am wondering...

...what compelling evidence is there for the benefits of stretching (before or after lifting) or in warming up?

...what compelling evidence is there for the benefits of stretching (before or after lifting) or in warming up?

Almost any well regarded fitness trainer will tell you that stretching, in combination with self myofascial release, general mobility work (i.e. moving through full and varied ranges of motion) will allow a trainee to stay healthier for longer.

Can't find any scientific studies that support my point.

My wife's a physio, and she seemed to think the value of post-exercise stretching has been proven to not be worthwhile, though I can't provide a reference sorry. I still warm up, but don't do anything formal to cool down.

Hit a mile stone today

So after nearly exactly 1 month I hit a milestone of 45mins constant exercise. That was 30mins on the treadmill and 15mins on the bike.

I think I clocked a touch over 4.5 on the treadmill and 7 on the bike. I don't really trust the km measure on the machines, so I go off the 'number'.

At this point not too concerned with the distance, more just trying to build up the minutes.

I have been reasonably consistent and vary my exercise to how I feel. Eg, will sometime increase the speed but do less time, or if I have been in the gym for 3x days will go to the pool.

Consistancy is still an issue - I missed a good 2weeks when I was traveling, and have to travel for a week next week (though will be staying in a hotel). Will take my kit and see how I go.

Overall feeling better for it, though I do stiffen up after big sessions.

Blacky

Back