How to Stop Mouth Breathing

Whenever I sleep, I breathe with my mouth open. I was told that this is not good for you. Apparently breathing through your mouth gives you a hunchback. Does anyone have any advice on how I can stop mouth breathing?

Whenever I sleep, I breathe with my mouth open. I was told that this is not good for you.
Its better for you than not breathing at all ;)

Apparently breathing through your mouth gives you a hunchback.
I seriously doubt that.:rolleyes:

Does anyone have any advice on how I can stop mouth breathing?
Google as usual has all the answers :). It will even pre-fill the search for you "how to stop mouth breathing"

If you put a rolled up sock in your mouth at night then I can assure you that you wont become a hunchback.

i have that problem too... and struggle to breath thru nose for exercise, yet I dread having my nose drilled out. The work around only lasts a gfew years too I have been told. Alternatively, those nasal strips are bliss but you look like a real dork wearing them.

mouth breathing will reduce life span... it's to do with filtration and more importantly, you get greater oxygen extraction from breathing out thru the nose from the back pressure.

Sticky tape would work.

I'm sure there are alot of elite athletes who breath mostly through their mouths, not necessarily while sleeping, if it makes any difference, and are the least likely to have hunchbacks.

Whenever I sleep, I breathe with my mouth open. I was told that this is not good for you. Apparently breathing through your mouth gives you a hunchback.

That's not the same guy telling you this, that's also telling you why the Big banks are losers for not investing in houses is it ??

If so Mrs Sanyo, get a new friend.

Hi,
Some people who suffer from sleep apnoea use a C.P.A.P. machine, which is attached to the face with either a mask that covers the nose and mouth, or a nasal attachment only.
For the latter, (as in my case), I have to use a chin-strap at night to keep the mouth closed. This 'forces' me to both inhale and exhale through the nose only.
Friends tell me I should use the chin strap more often. :D:D:D
Cheers
Amy

It will reduce if you sleep on your back and use a high pillow.
To stop it all together you'll need to seal your lips and that's hard to do.
(you can use sticky tape :D)

If you were a baby you could try a dummy.

On a serious note, don't you wake up with a really sore throat and dry mouth?

As for a hunchback??? :eek: You can tell them giving bad medical advice makes your eyes bulge and gives you pidgeon toes. :rolleyes:

Whenever I sleep, I breathe with my mouth open. I was told that this is not good for you. Apparently breathing through your mouth gives you a hunchback. Does anyone have any advice on how I can stop mouth breathing?

All types of breathing works for me.

I'm stumped as to how breathing through your mouth could give you a hunchback! It would be possible that having a hunchback would affect your breathing, but I can't see how it would work the other way around.

If you are concerned about your breathing pattern when you're asleep, you should ask your Dr if you can do a sleep study, and that will determine whether you need a CPAP machine. You could also check things like allergies etc, which can lead to a blocked nose.

If you are overweight, then losing weight will make breathing during sleep easier.

Pen

Forget the hunchback bit.

Seriously, I suggest you take yourself along to your doctor to check out the reason for your mouth breathing. It may be a habit, but there may be a medical reason which can be fixed.
Marg

Easy!

Just ask your partner to put something in your mouth :D

Such as a pacifier :rolleyes:

Heh heh, hunchback, I thought that was from bad posture...how does lying in your bed give you a hunchback?

Is being a hunchback such a bad thing?

Think they've had a harsh rap over the years, been stereotyped as the bad guy's assistant?

Perhaps they should rise up & reclaim their dignity...hunchbacks unite...;)...I'd say they're the 1st to find money on the ground or alert you to when you're about to walk in dog pooh, or, or....there must be more positive aspects to being a hunchie?

I breathe through my mouth day and night....

Only downside is when sleeping i tend to "dribble" lol wet patch on pillow every morning!!

breathing through ones mouth has also caused me to snore as well...

best remedy...partner punches ribs....my wife enjoys it apparently...

dont worry how you breathe, just be thankful you can...

your a long time dead

Hi guys. Thanks for the help. One solution I am trying is by taping my mouth shut at night using 3M Micropore surgical tape, which I purchased from the pharmacist.

The problem with this solution is that I am worried that the tape might cause embarrassing discolouration on my lips. Furthermore, when I tape my mouth shut at night and then suddenly burp, the burp air gets stuck in my mouth. I cannot gulp back down my own burp.

It is very true that mouth breathing can cause you to get a hunchback. Here is what atlantadentist.com says:

Open mouth breathing can also cause the patient to have a constant dry mouth, especially in the morning. The forward head posture causes the collar bones, called the clavicles, to wing upward and forward. The shoulders will roll forward too. Normal collar bones are horizontal. If you, or your child, have winged clavicles it is probably a sign of severe allergies and future neck and back problems.

Source: http://www.atlantadentist.com/open_mouth_breathing.html

Was not aware that dentists were experts on posture.
Can you find any other evidence of breathing through mouth making people into hunchbacks?

Think you are worrying about nothing.

Back