How to waterproof shed roof?

I have one of those small zinc-alum sheds with a flat roof, but noticed that during heavy rain, it leaks badly.

My suspicion is that the because the roof is almost flat, the water just accumulates on the roof, and during heavy rain the water rises to the level where the roof sheets overlap, and since the overlaps are not sealed but just sit over the top of the next sheet, this is where the water comes through.

How can I make this roof waterproof? Short of installing a sloping roof or covering it with a sloping roof. A simple method would be good ;)

Silicone seal it is :) That should do the trick, I hope. Else, more drastic measures like another roof over the existing one. Thanks folks!

Hi Desto - Just had the same problem with shed roof in FNQ and boy did it leak!!! We use it to store our stuff for when we go up from Melbourne. Our table top fridge was sitting with water halfway up - luckily we had it sealed in plastic, took it out, dried it off and away it went!!

Our problem was compounded by kids climbing on the roof, so had dents right across, the water was then pooling, then twigs got caught between the sheets and held it open so that the water poured in.

We took the roof off and straightened it out. Then put two timber beams across, to strengthen the roof, then rivetted the sheets where they join. This appears to have solved the problem. We also paved the floor. Its almost good enough to let.

Chris

Hi Desto

An area of expertise so tell me this:

what is the is the roof profile:

corrugated (cutom orb)
flatish with high joins every 300mm ish (kliplock)
really flat with very high thin joins every 300mm (commerical cliplock)

the type determines how flat is can be run? Corrugated should be min of 7 dgree pitch or it will leak the other can go almost flat.

what size is it, describe the roof:

is it one way (skillion)
ridge and valleys
any parapets ( higher brick wall that flash against)

flashings seals the join to other parts, these often are a source of failure.

Are they good, rusted, turned up.
what is the overall condition and age if possible

does the roof breath well?
does moisture form underside a lot.

Answer these as best your can and I will try to help.

regards Peter 147

Woah! Peter, I'll post the details tomorrow once I've had another look at the tin shed during daylight hours. :)

Back