how wide should a garage be?

hi, does anyone know how wide a garage should be, so that you park a car in it,
& open the doors on both sides so that a passenger & driver can get out of the car?

is there a building code for garage sizes?

i am looking at a house that is for sale

http://www.domain.com.au/Property/For-Sale/House/SA/Beulah-Park/?adid=2009955570

the advertisement states that there are 2 carparks????
the alleged "2 car parks" are down the end of a very narrow lane, and are in a garage that is 2.7m wide x 5.5m long

my concerns are:
1. the 4wd pajero I was in was wider than the lane entrance
2. whilst a smaller car may fit, could you open the doors?

hmmmm, i may have to get out the measuring tape with my ford laser?

Last edited:
A single garage is normally 3x6m internally. This is the requirement in the markets where I am building townhouses in QLD but not sure if this is a national standard.

In Victoria the standard is 3.5m x 6m for single garages and 5.5 x 6m for double garages. But those are bare minimums and would not appeal to people I would say as you can't even open the door with those dimensions.

Gee, just looked at the rear access lane on Google Maps. It's very narrow looking at this picture and their is a stobie pole right on the boundary too.
http://goo.gl/maps/gUCZq
Plenty wide enough for motor bike or push bike, but not a big car. I guess the area was originally laid out in the days of night carts, maybe, or the block was subdivided at some stage.

Any house/apartment pre 1920's usually has a horse and cart sized garage. 1930's were slightly bigger but still too small for modern cars in most cases. late 40's onward should be okay.

WA the minimum required by state law for a single garage is 3.0 x 5.4 and 5.4 x 5.4 for a double..... unless you're in a LGA that wants 5.5m width with a minimum 5.0m opening, or 5.8m if the garage is 90º to the street alignment with a 5.2m opening, or possibly 5.4m deep x 5.7m wide because they count the car next to you as a permanent obstruction, or....

measurements on plan wrong

i went back & measured

the lane is 2.3m wide

& the garage is 2.37m wide (internally)

the plans state 2.7m wide & are clearly wrong

i don't think that I could open my car doors

& the house is advertised as having 2 off street car parks!

Brickwork is either 110, 220 or 270 mm Whereas blockwork is 200 mm per skin. Is it an internal or external measurement?

Be creative and make a carport.

Back