How would you fix this floor plan?

We have $25,000 to open up this floor plan for weatherboard in Albion.

Will source stuff second-hand where possible and do a lot of work ourselves but due to measly budget can't move existing plumbing except to add second toilet to central bathroom.

GOALS:

Make room for second toilet in central bathroom by removing bath and adding shower.

Add shower over bath, keep toilet, and add new vanity in back bathroom.

Knock out wall between kitchen and living? Add an island? Close off door from hallway to kitchen? Reclaim laundry?

How would you do it? Which walls would you remove/keep, layout kitchen/bathrooms, any other ideas?
Looking to increase re-sale value down the line.

Attachments

• Albion.pdf
    81.6 KB · Views: 114
  • Albion.jpg
    Albion.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 350
i would convert the existing living to a bedroom, but cut off the rear "L" section and push it into the kitchen as a dining room & pull out wall between kitchen and sunroom to make that a living space.

We would take out the central bathroom and put in a study area, WIR and ensuite where the second bedroom is. Then make the sunroom into a bedroom.
I know you said about keeping existing plumbing but it seems obvious to make a central hallway.

What period Albion home is it? My auntie's 1920s house was a labyrinth of halls and I hated them. If, like hers, it is highset, the plumbing will be easy to access from below and not as costly as if it is encased in a modern slab.

Thanks guys! Some things there we hadn't thought of yet.

Trying to decide whether to fork out on an Archicentre architect or just do it ourselves from recommendations and our own ideas.

Thanks guys! Some things there we hadn't thought of yet.

Trying to decide whether to fork out on an Archicentre architect or just do it ourselves from recommendations and our own ideas.

What do you need an architect for? Any drafty/designer can do it for you for $70 p/h - cheap and efficient.

We wanted an architect to come through, walk around and give us some ideas on how best to change the floorplan with the money we have. But perhaps with a $20,000 budget they won't really be able to tell us anything particularly exciting?

Having two bathrooms with neither of them being an ensuite is a shame. I can't see a way around it as the middle bathroom doesn't have the room have a cavity slider to the adjacent room..

It's more than likely the dividing walls to the kitchen/lounge room will be loadbearing being an older pitched rafter construction? So you could open the walls up, but not remove them all together..

I like the idea of opening up the kitchen to the sunroom.

I think the cost/benefit of an architect on this job wouldn't be worth it.. unless they have a stroke of genius with working in an ensuite?

Any plans to add a deck on the back??

Yeah we are worried about it being load-bearing.. builder friend mentioned we need an engineer but not sure how to go about that. I thought it was the builder's job to assess that kind of stuff! In any case, we were thinking or running a support beam along the top.

We do want to put in a deck behind the sunroom with bi-fold doors down the track. Not in this initial budget but maybe in a couple years before we sell. When I hear "deck" I think $$$$

Thanks for your comments! We are now leaning away from an architect because even if there were some way to make an ensuite it would probably be out of our means to do it.

Having two bathrooms with neither of them being an ensuite is a shame. I can't see a way around it as the middle bathroom doesn't have the room have a cavity slider to the adjacent room..

It's more than likely the dividing walls to the kitchen/lounge room will be loadbearing being an older pitched rafter construction? So you could open the walls up, but not remove them all together..

I like the idea of opening up the kitchen to the sunroom.

I think the cost/benefit of an architect on this job wouldn't be worth it.. unless they have a stroke of genius with working in an ensuite?

Any plans to add a deck on the back??

Yeah we are worried about it being load-bearing.. builder friend mentioned we need an engineer but not sure how to go about that. I thought it was the builder's job to assess that kind of stuff! In any case, we were thinking or running a support beam along the top.

The first point of contact would be a builder to check the feasibility and cost, as their advice would be free assuming you use them for the rest of the renos? You still need to engage an engineer for building approval. They provide a sketch, have it certified and sent to council for b.a. (all structural modifications require this). The trick would be putting the new beam within the roof cavity. I think having a beam covered by a bulkhead might be out of character in the house - does it have vj walls?

The builder (who's offering advice because he's a friend but we're mostly DIYing it) said it was all doable. My mum (who's done a heap of renos/owner builds) said we don't need council approval for interior changes... but maybe she's just never gotten caught. How will they know we're removing a wall?

What are vj walls? All I know is they're plasterboard-ish (circa 1957). Exterior photo below.

Clearly we're new to this. Do you find engineers via word-of-mouth/service seeking? I'm guessing the builder probably has someone he uses so we could ask him.

The first point of contact would be a builder to check the feasibility and cost, as their advice would be free assuming you use them for the rest of the renos? You still need to engage an engineer for building approval. They provide a sketch, have it certified and sent to council for b.a. (all structural modifications require this). The trick would be putting the new beam within the roof cavity. I think having a beam covered by a bulkhead might be out of character in the house - does it have vj walls?

Attachments

• main.jpg
    main.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 79
The builder (who's offering advice because he's a friend but we're mostly DIYing it) said it was all doable. My mum (who's done a heap of renos/owner builds) said we don't need council approval for interior changes... but maybe she's just never gotten caught. How will they know we're removing a wall?.

Not doubting your mum, but it may be best to check with your council as to what work requires a permit. That way, if you ever come to sell, you have the paperwork all in order.
Marg

What is the property worth at the moment? Will you add more than $25K, preferably $50K+ by renovating it? Is this your PPOR or an investment property? How is the house positioned on the block and what size is the land? What is the solar orientation?

Asking these questions because you currently have a 4 bed 2 bath place, and wondering whether opening up the floor plan without increasing the number of beds/baths will increase the value enough to be worth doing?

What is the property worth at the moment? Will you add more than $25K, preferably $50K+ by renovating it? Is this your PPOR or an investment property? How is the house positioned on the block and what size is the land? What is the solar orientation?

Asking these questions because you currently have a 4 bed 2 bath place, and wondering whether opening up the floor plan without increasing the number of beds/baths will increase the value enough to be worth doing?

We purchased for $405k but the floorplan is really awkward and the kitchen is virtually unusable (we had to buy an IKEA island just to have some prep space). I'm not sure how much it will increase the value but it would have to make it better than it is now. An unrenovated 3 x 2 place near us sold for $327k in Jan '13 and for $428k post-renovation 9 months later. 4 bedroom renovated weatherboard went for $500k late 2013.

It's PPoR, looking to subdivide and sell rear block with plans for dual occupancy and either rent out front dwelling or sell in a couple years. House faces East, with no North facing windows. If we add any windows on the North side (living room) they'll have to be frosted or high up as that's the side with access to rear.
Block is 603sqm.

An interior designer we spoke to on the weekend at the Building & Reno Expo suggested leaving the wall between kitchen and living and opening up the kitchen to the rear sunroom.

Beginning to feel a bit lost and scared about the whole thing :(

Maybe we need an architect, but that'd eat up $1500 of out budget.

An interior designer we spoke to on the weekend at the Building & Reno Expo suggested leaving the wall between kitchen and living and opening up the kitchen to the rear sunroom.

sounds like what I was suggesting above- which would also turn it into a 4 bedroom house.

sounds like what I was suggesting above- which would also turn it into a 4 bedroom house.

Thanks Bryn.

if we do that, living will only be 3m wide, by 5m long. Do you think that's too long and skinny? There's also a fireplace along the far wall, but I guess we could rip it out.

if we do that, living will only be 3m wide, by 5m long. Do you think that's too long and skinny? There's also a fireplace along the far wall, but I guess we could rip it out.

its not ideal, but I think it would work. if you're living in it try it out!

my living room is about 4x4, but with a 900mm corridor running along one side, making it 3x4 and it works fine.

I'd keep the fireplace if its still functioning. It's definitely a nice character builder.

See my version of the floorplan. I tried not to move any plumbing as that generally gets expensive. Did not consider any load bearing structures. You may need to keep a support there but knock out the wall where appropriate.

The master is repositioned which now includes an ensuite. The previous master is now a large 2nd bedroom. Both of which hopefully add value, together with the open floor plan

The island can house the hob if finance permits electrical work there. otherwise probably leave it as a breakfast bar and storage. If plumbing is easy to do, then putting the sink in the island is also a possibility.

Let me know what you think

Attachments

• SSBS-KONICA14070716300.jpg
    SSBS-KONICA14070716300.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 106
I'd keep the fireplace if its still functioning. It's definitely a nice character builder.

See my version of the floorplan. I tried not to move any plumbing as that generally gets expensive. Did not consider any load bearing structures. You may need to keep a support there but knock out the wall where appropriate.

The master is repositioned which now includes an ensuite. The previous master is now a large 2nd bedroom. Both of which hopefully add value, together with the open floor plan

The island can house the hob if finance permits electrical work there. otherwise probably leave it as a breakfast bar and storage. If plumbing is easy to do, then putting the sink in the island is also a possibility.

Let me know what you think

Nice, I like that version

Back