How would you fix this?

Tenant's kids did some naughty thing on our newly polished floorboard, I've attached some pics.

Need advice on:
- How would you fix them? the scratch is quite deep
- Also need some idea how much bond money would you charge for this damage?

Thanks,

Marc

Attachments

• DSC_0046.jpg
    DSC_0046.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 213
  • DSC_0043.jpg
    DSC_0043.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 179
I reckon you'll have trouble getting any bond.You could try, but they would argue this is "wear and tear". My parents once tried to get bond back for damage much worse than this and it was knocked back by tribunal. They got the whole bond for other damage, but nothing extra to cover the scratches, so effectively, they got nothing "just" for the terrible scratches in one room.

So, you could claim some bond, and see whether the dispute it. How much do you try for? That is hard. To fix this you need to sand and coat again. You "could" minimise the look of the damage with stain/pen to disguise it.

I agree with Wylie re the way to fix it.

Claiming anything will depend on how long the tenants were in there, and how reasonable the tribunal member is if it gets to that point.

Usually you'd need to figure out how much it'll cost to redo the room, and then take a percentage from that, ie. $100 compensation give or take.

Thanks wylie,

I haven't come up with a number to charge yet since I don't know how much to fix the damage. But they also did damages to the walls and doors/door frames that we have to paint the whole house again after only 3 years since last painting. With RE agents off on Christmas holidays, I'm left to deal with the tenant myself, can't wait for Monday.

I reckon you'll have trouble getting any bond.You could try, but they would argue this is "wear and tear". My parents once tried to get bond back for damage much worse than this and it was knocked back by tribunal. They got the whole bond for other damage, but nothing extra to cover the scratches, so effectively, they got nothing "just" for the terrible scratches in one room.

So, you could claim some bond, and see whether the dispute it. How much do you try for? That is hard. To fix this you need to sand and coat again. You "could" minimise the look of the damage with stain/pen to disguise it.

Lil Skater,

Well we know for a fact that the scratches were there 1.5 years ago when we come for inspections with the agent, hopefully I can find the photos I took then as evidence. The tenant only been living there for total 3.5 years and the house was fully renovated when they moved in, so hopefuly we can claim it's not wear and tear.

I agree with Wylie re the way to fix it.

Claiming anything will depend on how long the tenants were in there, and how reasonable the tribunal member is if it gets to that point.

Usually you'd need to figure out how much it'll cost to redo the room, and then take a percentage from that, ie. $100 compensation give or take.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but that is wear & tear. Wooden floors mean scratches, and some tenants are just really rough. Do what Wylie suggested & move on.

You "could" minimise the look of the damage with stain/pen to disguise it.

Tenant's kids did some naughty thing on our newly polished floorboard, I've attached some pics.

Need advice on:
- How would you fix them? the scratch is quite deep
- Also need some idea how much bond money would you charge for this damage?

Thanks,

Marc

from a landlords view of the scrape ,I would charge as much as you think you can get away with . from the tradesman in me to fix it I would get some plastercine and create a small wall around the offending scrapes then fill with water ,leave for 24 hours, remove the plastercine ,by this time the timber fibres will have accepted the water and expanded ,then lightly sand the surface to take the head off ,then rub with cabinetmakers wax to bring back the shine .

Obviously tenant has been reckless by allowing something to be dragged across the floor.
In my eyes this is not wear and tear.

A stone chip scratch to a car is wear n tear. Running a key along the door panel is not. Try renting a car, bring it back with long scratches and claim its wear n tear. They'll laugh at you.

Make the tenant pay. Dont let them get away with it. Get a quote from one of those dudes who polish floors and slug the tenant with it before they do the same thing to some other unsuspecting landlord. Next time tanant will learn to be more careful.

Get down to your local art supplies shop, buy a set of crayola crayons and fill to your heart's content. Browns & blacks will do the job.

Timber floors - scratches are wear & tear, sorry Datto.

Thanks for the advices guys! Normally I would pursue this and get as much as I can from the tenants but this time I think I would just try to fix it and leave it at that. The reason they're moving out because the tenants just got a divorce, the wife moved out with their daughter and the bloke was left there with the son. They were nice tenants when they're living there and I feel sorry for the bloke for his circumstances, he's under a lot a stress from the way he's acted and talked and now that he has alimony payments etc, I think I'll just make this side of his life easier and give him as much as bond back as possible.

Thanks for the advices guys! Normally I would pursue this and get as much as I can from the tenants but this time I think I would just try to fix it and leave it at that. The reason they're moving out because the tenants just got a divorce, the wife moved out with their daughter and the bloke was left there with the son. They were nice tenants when they're living there and I feel sorry for the bloke for his circumstances, he's under a lot a stress from the way he's acted and talked and now that he has alimony payments etc, I think I'll just make this side of his life easier and give him as much as bond back as possible.

my advice still stands as a way to fix the damage

Obviously tenant has been reckless by allowing something to be dragged across the floor.
In my eyes this is not wear and tear.

A stone chip scratch to a car is wear n tear. Running a key along the door panel is not. Try renting a car, bring it back with long scratches and claim its wear n tear. They'll laugh at you.

Make the tenant pay. Dont let them get away with it. Get a quote from one of those dudes who polish floors and slug the tenant with it before they do the same thing to some other unsuspecting landlord. Next time tanant will learn to be more careful.

this response is simply unacceptable ,havnt you ever made a mistake or action that you have regretted later , crap happens ,grief is part of life ,relationships break down ,all things move apart in time ,I respect the landlords apathy and compassion for the situation .
power to him/her .
live long ,be prosperous

Good on you, sounds like they are going through some difficulties

Thanks arms,

The fix I'm going to try first is the one with wood putty and stain marker pen, this sounds easier because it doesn't involve water and sanding. But if it doesn't work, I'll try yours.

By the way anyone knows where I can buy stain marker pen? been googling for a day and can't find anywhere that sells it in oz.

my advice still stands as a way to fix the damage

Agree with datto,however admire your compassion 888.Overall you have made your gain and an endless pursual of this given the circumstances would appear to be stressful and petty.Fair play to you,I would imagine that you sleep soundly at night and deservedly so.

Thanks 0351,

I found similar stain marker and have used it on the floor. It look uglier close up but from a distance it did work in covering up the dent. It'll have to do until we sell the property then we might sand and polish again.

Hi 888
I'm a newbee that has been reading ss posts for a while now. We used these pens to fix our floor,it works on the same principle as the crayons. Well worth a look!:)

http://beinggreen.net.au/product/floor-pens/

this response is simply unacceptable ,havnt you ever made a mistake or action that you have regretted later ,

Yes, but I paid for it. If I'm wrong I pay, others must do the same. When the copper found the paraphernalia under my car floor mat, I paid for it. I didn't argue it was some kind of "wear n tear".

crap happens ,grief is part of life ,relationships break down ,all things move apart in time ,I respect the landlords apathy and compassion for the situation .
power to him/her .
live long ,be prosperous

Crap certainly does happen. Maybe the wife found some unexplained scratch marks on husbands back. Things happen for a reason eg Carelessness, recklessness or deliberate. People get peeved off by scratches.

I'm happy you respect the landlord's apathy. I hope you respect my empathy:D

Back