How would you make an offer on this one?

ok,

so there is this situation, that my friend is facing.

Looking at a suburb whose median is about $330k.

most properties have been advertised for about $320k

most have been selling for between $300k and $330k

One that was new and nicer was advertised for $360k, sold for $340k about 1 week ago

Another one has just come up, its almost identical from first looks, only going by photos at this stage, we need to contact the agent to get more info, so assuming that everything is OK (hypothetically), almost identical, land is only slightly smaller, its even less then 50 m away,

however this one says the following "Auction Sat 14th Mar, Price: 280k-$290k"

so although we don't have the full info, my friend is quite keen on this one, its quite a rare one, in terms of what has been sold in the last 3-4 months, maybe only the 2nd one that fits his criteria

Sold prices indicate that the sellers who ask for realistic prices eg $320k-$340k, are pretty much selling at the lower price range of $320k PLUS/MINUS $5k

now my question is, unless this agent is a complete moron, which I doubt, what are they trying to acheive by putting such a lower price range,

my friend says that he doesn't trust agents, and that its probably to generate a big interest, with the expectation that the property might go well about $330k

so my friend is quite keen, should he be putting offers for about $270k -$280k right before the auction or asap....

I just find this a bit strange, all of the above is on the assumption that nothing is majorly wrong with it!

so based on past sales, one sold last week for $340k, and hence being just about identical from first views, and the land being a teeny weeny bit smaller, my friend said anything between $330-$340k is the market price, and anything cheaper, he'd be happy with, so 10% less = $310k, so the asking price of $270-$280k, just seems crazy... obvious;y if its about to fall apart, while being infested by termites, then this ia complete different story!

Last edited:
now my question is, unless this agent is a complete moron, which I doubt,
That's is quite a big assumption :eek:

what are they trying to acheive by putting such a lower price range,
More ppl at the auction - a crowd for the sake of it.

my friend says that he doesn't trust agents,
Your friend is quite astute.

Can't advise you auction strategy here but some ideas on this thread:
http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49528

ok,

now my question is, unless this agent is a complete moron, which I doubt, what are they trying to acheive by putting such a lower price range,

1. trying to create lots of interest where there might not be any.
2. to obtain a database of potential buyers.
3. to use the buyer interest at the lower end of price to condition the Vendor down in their price expectations and ensure a sale.
4. if they achieve a sale well above the quoted price range, they appear as heros in the eyes of the public and will be the gurus of real estate in their (own minds) area.
5. all of the above.

Hopefully not too many FHB's waste their moeny on B+P inspections thinking they're getting a bargain..

Kinda makes me feel sorry for ppl purchasing in VIC.. underquoting for auctions is still legal, stamp duty seems excessive, the standard b+p clause on contracts are a joke...

Hopefully not too many FHB's waste their moeny on B+P inspections thinking they're getting a bargain..

Kinda makes me feel sorry for ppl purchasing in VIC.. underquoting for auctions is still legal, stamp duty seems excessive, the standard b+p clause on contracts are a joke...

Just don't buy at auction.

The agents will eventually get the idea.

sorry what is B+P???

ok,

so there is this situation, that my friend is facing.

Looking at a suburb whose median is about $330k.

most properties have been advertised for about $320k

most have been selling for between $300k and $330k

One that was new and nicer was advertised for $360k, sold for $340k about 1 week ago

Another one has just come up, its almost identical from first looks, only going by photos at this stage, we need to contact the agent to get more info, so assuming that everything is OK (hypothetically), almost identical, land is only slightly smaller, its even less then 50 m away,

however this one says the following "Auction Sat 14th Mar, Price: 280k-$290k"

so although we don't have the full info, my friend is quite keen on this one, its quite a rare one, in terms of what has been sold in the last 3-4 months, maybe only the 2nd one that fits his criteria

Sold prices indicate that the sellers who ask for realistic prices eg $320k-$340k, are pretty much selling at the lower price range of $320k PLUS/MINUS $5k

my friend says that he doesn't trust agents, and that its probably to generate a big interest, with the expectation that the property might go well about $330k

so my friend is quite keen, should he be putting offers for about $270k -$280k right before the auction or asap....

I just find this a bit strange, all of the above is on the assumption that nothing is majorly wrong with it!

so based on past sales, one sold last week for $340k, and hence being just about identical from first views, and the land being a teeny weeny bit smaller, my friend said anything between $330-$340k is the market price, and anything cheaper, he'd be happy with, so 10% less = $310k, so the asking price of $270-$280k, just seems crazy... obvious;y if its about to fall apart, while being infested by termites, then this ia complete different story!

Hang on

Do you have a written ad for this that actually says price guide is $280-290K as this is most unusual for an advertised auction? Agencies usually promote any price guides (if at all) as $280K+ or price range $300K's, not such a narrow guide as in this case. Then again, if this is Melb then perhaps they do it this way? I'm only familiar with Sydney and Brisbane really.

This type of advertising for auction, however, is fraught with problems, if you ask me, as they can be fined by the DFT for false advertising or misleading advertising if the price exceeds the top price range by 10%+ : something that may well happen in this case if the property sells for $320K+

I'd try offering $290K prior to auction and, if they reject, ask them why not? After all, that's the top of the price range you've been given. Depending on how much time you have prior to the auction, you may want to dob the agents in for misleading advertising.

If your friend still wants the property and is afraid that he's now revealed his top price prior, he can always get a BA to act on his behalf with a Power of Attorney (very different beast from a simple letter of authority which reveals the buyer) and bid on his behalf whilst remaining anonymous.

Best of luck with it all and please let us know about the ad... very curious!

In my experience they a l w a y s use your early bid to tell other buyers, 'we already have an offer at/a lot of interest at the $... level'. You will never get it at this price and it will always go to auction with everyone thinking there is a lot of interest and I will have to bid higher, just early conditioning of the buyer

Back