HTC magic or iphone?

Iphone has a nice browser, dog keyboard and battery life

I still run a JasJam which has flip out qwerty for many things, and an Iphone AND a Samsung Omnia for surfing the web

ta
rolf

Rob, Blackberry's are SO last century:p

Yes, but so am I :)
I have a few email accounts for different investment and business activities. My BlackBerry Bold syncs to all my email accounts and pops all my messages and emails into one neat folder on the device.
I don't know if other phones do this, but the BlackBerry shows each incoming email or message as part of a thread with the preceding messages. I find that very handy as I don't have to close the incomming message to see what was in the previous outgoing or incoming messages.
It just suits the way I work. That's why I like it.

Great info Rob.

One question, with emails does the B'berry sync to your PC thru Outlook (which I am not using), or can one use the webmail hosted thru their ISP?

No dramas with that Rob, old school is often the better way!!:)

yeah iphone does it too...

I have three accounts running on mine and can see at a glance what account has what new messages then go in and view the messages pretty much like they would appear on Outlook.

I agree with Rolf though - battery life is a pain...with really heavy use it won't last 24 hrs - but then it gets charged everytime i go in the car or plug it in to the computer so it's not a drama for me.

keypad is ok, but hard to get used to if you have big hands like mine - my wife has no problems with hers, but she is quite fine and her small fingers have no dramas

Great info Rob.

One question, with emails does the B'berry sync to your PC thru Outlook (which I am not using), or can one use the webmail hosted thru their ISP?

Hi Michael.
The BlackBerry isn't just a phone, it's a service. Behind the phone is the network that sucks emails directly from the email servers. In my case, Three mail and Hotmail. It also works with MS exchange mail as well, so it doesn't really need to sync with an Outlook client, although it can, I assume.
OK, so everyone else is going for the iPhone. That's OK as I've never been one to run with the herd, anyway :)

I have the HTC Magic, very happy with it.

It does everything the iPhones can do, it's slick and fast and loads of fun.

On top of that, I'm very happy knowing that I don't have to deal with the very Microsoftian behaviours that Apple have been exhibiting lately. Refusing applications from their store, forcing you to install their iTunes application to do anything, etc.

If you tend to operate on the Google cloud anyway (gmail, docs, maps, etc), the Android is for you. Though you can access your Exchange, Outlook, Hotmail etc as well.

Whirlpool.net.au is definitely the best forum in Australia to learn and discuss more about phones or indeed, anything technical.

Thanks for the comments guys. Does the HTC Magic store music like an ipod? If so, how much?

Also, whats the go with the wifi. If its in range of my wifi setup does it automatically take over from the mobile connection for web surfing?

As you can see, i'm pretty new to this stuff.

I have the HTC Magic, very happy with it.

It does everything the iPhones can do, it's slick and fast and loads of fun.

On top of that, I'm very happy knowing that I don't have to deal with the very Microsoftian behaviours that Apple have been exhibiting lately. Refusing applications from their store, forcing you to install their iTunes application to do anything, etc.

If you tend to operate on the Google cloud anyway (gmail, docs, maps, etc), the Android is for you. Though you can access your Exchange, Outlook, Hotmail etc as well.

Whirlpool.net.au is definitely the best forum in Australia to learn and discuss more about phones or indeed, anything technical.

can't talk specifics, but most phones on the market now have the ability to auto-connect to a WiFi source or at least prompt you to connect if locked etc. You should also be able to set it to only connect to your chosen locations such as home and your favourite coffee shop etc.

the magic has an expansion slot which allows you to use a microSD card - you can store extra music on there and use the phones player - so yes you should be right there...

I had the blackberry pearl. just replaced it with the 9000. note that they have a full 2 year replacement warranty and that cover sbattery as well. been very happy with it so far

Not sure what extra features would be important to you so it's bit hard to say...but I find apps for the iPhone very useful. There are over 65,000 apps on the appstore for the iPhone.

I freqently use apps like ebay, facebook, various share market apps (bloomberg etc.), games ofcourse.

You might want to compare the various apps available for those phones and see which one might suit your needs better.

Cheers,
Oracle.

Thanks. Does the wifi take over web connection automatically from the mobile connection. Also, do they come with a 1/8 earphone jack?

can't talk specifics, but most phones on the market now have the ability to auto-connect to a WiFi source or at least prompt you to connect if locked etc. You should also be able to set it to only connect to your chosen locations such as home and your favourite coffee shop etc.

the magic has an expansion slot which allows you to use a microSD card - you can store extra music on there and use the phones player - so yes you should be right there...

Thanks. Does the wifi take over web connection automatically from the mobile connection. Also, do they come with a 1/8 earphone jack?

The iphone does. The 3g logo changes to a wifi logo so it's easy to tell. I know Blackberry at least have offered this for some time, so would imagine all other smartphones to be able to by now

Thanks for the comments guys. Does the HTC Magic store music like an ipod? If so, how much?

Also, whats the go with the wifi. If its in range of my wifi setup does it automatically take over from the mobile connection for web surfing?

As you can see, i'm pretty new to this stuff.

* Yes, the HTC Magic comes with an 8GB microSD card that all your photos, videos and music get stored on. You can easily pop this card out and put in another one if you desire.

* Yes, Android will automatically connect to the wifi networks you have approved and connected to in the past. An icon in the status bar tells you whether you are on wifi or 3G.

* NO, the HTC Dream and HTC Magic do not come with an audio jack. They have only one mini USB socket that does everything - data connection, charging, audio. They do come with a basic pair of miniUSB earpieces. For your existing 3.5mm equipment, you can either buy a miniUSB to audio jack adapter for a few dollars, or look into the newer Android phones. For example, the HTC Hero and the Samsung Galaxy both have a 3.5mm jack as well as the miniUSB port.

Last edited:
Back