Huntsman or Wolf Spider?

in my opinion its not a huntsman im quite certain unless they are a different variety than in qld.

hope you just put him/her outside rather than kill it :)

Yeah he was outside when I took the picture and no I wouldn't go close enough to kill it, it disappeared, in my outdoor area, and I'm paranoid about going out there now.

I thought it's legs were too short to be a huntsman, a friend suggested maybe a wolf spider. It's leg span was a bit bigger than the short side of a matchbox. Not that I got that close, but that's my estimate.

We have a little green tree snake in our front yard. Saw him again this morn, first time for many months. The guy who came to replace our fridge door seal wasn't impressed.

When it scurried up a tree he "sorta" believed me that it was harmless, so I had to convince him that the poor little thing was more scared of us than we are of it. He was glad to move onto the next job I'm sure.

Its not a huntsman. We get those spiders here, they live down holes in the ground and get extremely annoyed when I water my plants. They get HUGE, the biggest I saw was near on 4 inches across, the cat tried to eat it.

Huntsmans are the flatter ones that stick to your ceilings :)

I bet the sprays are more harmful to you than that little bug.

Let it live it's life in your backyard along with the thousands of other bugs.

LOL they're ugly but harmless, just catch it and toss it outside.

Put a cup or a glass over it, slide heavy paper (an old envelope is good) under the glass, take outside, remove paper, done :)

They come in under doors cos they get lost, they don't like being inside much. You'll get good spider karma if you put it back outside.

Edit: oh, it was outside. Just move it away from the house then. Welcome to Australia, land of the bugs!

Oh, and have this page too. http://photographicdictionary.com/groupings/creepy-crawlies

i saw a short (1m) red belly on the road near our place the other day, i was too scared to drive over it incase
a) it got into the wheel well and bit me upon exit
b) its friend saw and came back to get me later

as i swerved around it it rose up before turning and fleeing back to the bush.

The no legs , big teeth thing scares me!

Agreed it's not a Huntsman (they're leaner).......Catch it strap it on and sell it oversea's it's probably worth $5k+ somewhere*

*The above is a joke anytime spent in a foreign prison midnight cowboy style as a result of taking this advice is not my fault but is however hilarious :D

Put a cup or a glass over it,

Ha. Reminds me of my brother in law who went camping with his sons - they were all ready to sleep when they spotted this enormous spider. They chose to cover it with a heavy cooking pan and deal with it in the morning. When they woke up, the pan was overturned and the spider no where to be found. :eek:

Huntsmen, Wolfs, redbacks, snakes, scorpions and blue ringed octupuses don't worry me - but I'm blaming the fear of funnel web spiders contributing to my current buying paralysis in southern QLD and coast NSW.

If you look down their holes on a sunny day all you can see down the hole is the eternal bottomless blackness of the hole ... and eyes reflecting back up at you ... its spooky!

A few years ago No 1 son, who is fearless, was home and the lady of the house got us doing a "dump run".

I picked up a sheet of chip-board and there was this "significant" (abt 2m?) snake coiled up asleep. No probs, son grabbed a sack bag, put his hands down the inside and flicked the snake up while he inverted the sack and grabbed the top. Easy! We were heading to the dump so we take the critter with us and dispose of it there.

By the time I got there the snake had warmed up and was :mad:. When I shook it out of the bag, instead of going bush it reared up and came back at me. Fortunately I had taken the precaution of having a rake in hand and pushed it back. It wasn't until I flicked it over the fence that I could get back in the car and slam the door.

Looking at pics since I reckon I was playing with an eastern brown. No point in doing something silly if you don't learn from it. :D

Back