Hybrid Discretionary Trusts - The final word.

JIT

Why bother ? If you want clarification then you seek a private ruling. HDT's have had their day now with the changes to superannuation, changes to land tax, etc. So why would Chris who runs a business waste his time applying for something that is pretty well dead in the water now.

JIT

Why bother ? If you want clarification then you seek a private ruling. HDT's have had their day now with the changes to superannuation, changes to land tax, etc. So why would Chris who runs a business waste his time applying for something that is pretty well dead in the water now.

Just asking the question...

Why wouldn't you do this if you created and sold a product to clients that created more stress, problems and fees for them and ''it's had their day'' now for your own clients?

If everyone sought private rulings, chances are that one of them will be presented the wrong way and get an unfavourable outcome for them, and others as well.

And if C&N can get a product ruling, I'm sure Chris can do it too.

So just interested to hear his take on this...

A private ruling is only binding on the person who applied for the private ruling. It has no effect on others because the facts will be different.

HDT's have had their day now with the changes to superannuation, changes to land tax, etc.

And I suppose you stopped having kids since the ATO changed the tax tables :rolleyes:

My main reason for using a trust structure to hold property is asset protection and I chose chan and naylors trust as it has no vesting date and I can pass control of the trust on to my wife/kids when I kick it.

Ergo

Totally different analogy. I didn't say trusts have had their day I said HDT's have had their day. The changes to trusts might not stop people having children it will however force them to rethink their structure if it was established to primarily take advantage of distribution to minors. The same as changes to other laws have significantly reduced the benefits of HDT's.

How do you think you will achieve asset protection when there are special income units on issue ?

Estate planning can be achieved through the use of a unit trust/DT or DT. a pure HDT is not necessary to achieve estate planning benefits.

And I suppose you stopped having kids since the ATO changed the tax tables :rolleyes:

My main reason for using a trust structure to hold property is asset protection and I chose chan and naylors trust as it has no vesting date and I can pass control of the trust on to my wife/kids when I kick it.

How confident are you that this trust can operate in perpectuity?

(incidently any trust properly set up in South Australia could claim no vesting date - but I am not so sure this means the trust can last in perpetuity).

Just asking the question...

Why wouldn't you do this if you created and sold a product to clients that created more stress, problems and fees for them and ''it's had their day'' now for your own clients?

If everyone sought private rulings, chances are that one of them will be presented the wrong way and get an unfavourable outcome for them, and others as well.

And if C&N can get a product ruling, I'm sure Chris can do it too.

So just interested to hear his take on this...

I dont know the answer, but a product ruling would only apply to the specific product. With trusts they are constantly changing because of legislation changing and because of ATO treatment of trusts changing. They are also being constantly improved with clauses being redrafted to give better effect etc. Many trust deeds would also need to be specifically amended for different types of clients. Therefore it would be possible to get a product ruling, but it may only apply for a short time to a specific deed. Getting a ruling would also be rather time consuming and complicated I imagine.

@Mike, Im just saying its not viable for me to change my plans every time the ATO changes the rule book. The tax benefits should be a secondary consideration when deciding on a structure. Who knows what the future holds, the ATO in its wisdom may one day do away with income tax alltogether and instead levy its taxes on company profits :)

@Terry, I sure hope so... if not ill be haunting chan and naylors offices in revenge

The new rules?

Hi all, like others I really appreciated the hours that have gone in to writing these posts.

I’m guessing a high % of people with HDTs are much like me and only just grasp the concepts. Below I’ve tried to create a layman’s summary of the new rules, as I understand them from reading through the entire post (including attachments). Please tell me whether I’m right or wrong.

First – I’m in a reasonably typical situation (maybe?). Mum and Dad investor, both salary earners, building negatively geared property in a HDT structure, looking for ways to tax plan effectively and divert more income to mum, or more deductions to Dad. As mum is now working part time – meaning more time with kids, but income has dropped.

1. We borrowed money to buy Special Income Units in the trust 50% mum, 50% dad. Lets say it was $50k each to buy a $100k investment property. As long as I a) get my trust amended, and b) continue to distribute income 50/50 to mum and dad, then the interest is still deductible in our individual names.

2. Regardless of the fact that the property is now worth $220k, income must be split in proportion to the unit holdings. Ie 50/50. We can no longer, stream any income to Mum.

3. If we sell the property then trust makes $120k capital gain. This can be streamed to Mum, providing the right paperwork is in place – ie. resolution/minutes and trust amendments (although I have a 2005 MSG HDT so I don’t need the trust deed amended).

4. If instead of selling the property, the trust borrows money (I know technically the trustee borrows money on behalf of the trust, but if don’t keep it simple, I’ll lose my thoughts..) to redeem the units…

5. The units must be redeemed at market value (ie. Property is worth $220k so the units we purchased at $100k are now worth $220k)

6. The interest on the loan the trust has taken out, remains deductible in the trust; regardless of what Mum and Dad do with the money – eg pay off the initial $100k loan and go on a holiday with whatever money is left after…

7. Capital gains tax is payable on the $120k gain, in the hands of Mum and Dad

8. Borrowing money in the trust to redeem units, effectively moves the loan out of mum and dads names and puts more deductions in the trust, reducing the income that is distributed.

9. Now that all the units in the trust have been redeemed, the trust converts to a Discretionary Trust and can allocate income however in determines.

10. We could do a “half step” toward this and only redeem mum’s units, with the result that mum no longer owns units and all the income is distributed to Dad (now the only unit holder). With the proceeds of the redemption, we pay out the loan in Mum’s name reducing her deductions.

11. If, however, the property is still negatively geared, then now the trust is making a loss. This loss cannot be distributed to beneficiaries (we lose the benefit of the tax deductions until such time as the property becomes positively geared and the trust can deduct prior year losses, before distributing the income), so I’d need to be mindful of this when the trust borrows money to redeem units.

12. One question on market value – If in the above example, Mum and Dad did nothing now but bought a 2nd property. So $50k each in units 4 years ago, property 1 worth $220k, mum and dad buy another $50k each of units (with borrowed money in their own name) and the trust buys another property for $100k in the HDT structure. One year later the property is worth $110k.

13. Is the 2nd lot of units we bought a year ago worth a lot less than the first lot of units we bought 4 years ago? If we want to minimise capital gains, can we just redeem the units that we purchased most recently?

14. If point 13 is correct, I guess we lose the benefit of ever being able to turn equity in to cash for those particular units (as opposed to waiting 5 years until the 2nd lot of units were also increased in value from continued growth in both the first and second properties)

I’m hoping this will benefit a lot of people like me, who are not tax professionals, but really want to understand some of the typical scenarios and concepts.

Anyone care to go through and give me a tick or a cross on each of the 14 points?

Stamp duty in SA on redemption of units & CGT event E4

Hi all,

It seems a while since this thread was active but it seems the right spot for my question.

Chris, have you dealt with the stamp duty implications for redemption of speical units in South Australia?

From my initial research there is an exemption for redeemed units in a unit trust. However, the exemption is contingent on there being no change to the beneficial interest of the trust.
If a hybrid trust were to redeem all special units and then be able to exercise discretion in distributions I would assume there would be a change in beneficial interest. This seems to mean stamp duty would be payable in addition to the normal CGT at market rates in SA. If this is the case I might as well sell the property into a completely new trust!

Also, another provider... the usual suspect... is starting to claim they get around CGT event E4 with a hybrid trust. Where an untaxed distribution is made to a fixed unit holder due to capital works deductions a capital gain is made on the unit (or cost base reduced), effectively wiping out the benefit of capital works deductions. Have you looked into how E4 applies to special units in the hybrid trust?

Many thanks

Richard

Back