Hybrid Trusts

Hi

Naturally, I have given the issue of HDT’s a lot of thought of late and especially in light of some of the recent private rulings and discussions on this forum.

Before, I comment too far, please understand that:

1. I personally use HDT’s to own some of my IP’s and in doing so; I too have issued Special Income Units to take advantage of the negative gearing aspects of the trust. Therefore, I personally have a problem if this turns as sour as some would have us believe.

2. Secondly, I have publicly supported the HDT concept for a number of years now and so I am obviously biased in my thoughts and this bias needs to be taken into consideration with anything else that I say on the topic…..as I am sure that it is already.

Now, having said that, my thoughts are:

As a generalisation, we seem to be approaching this issue on a “one size fits all” basis. That is, either all HDT’s will fail the Tax Office scrutiny; or, all HDT’s will pass the Tax Office scrutiny.

As a forum we seem to do this regardless of the actual wording of the trust deed involved; how the individual accountants understand the tax law and/or the trust law and of the trust deed involved.

Clearly, that is a crucial mistake in tax law as a simple basis for all tax issues is to look first at the individual facts and circumstances in hand.

Obviously, we are all waiting to see what the Tax Office do when they finalise their discussions with Chris Batten and Chris Balalovski and any comments I make now need to be read with this in mind.

I have no doubt that as soon as Chris Batten knows something more certain and worth sharing, that he will indeed share it. In the meantime, suggesting that he is being unfair or withholding information is close to libel and quite unhelpful to an intelligent debate on the matter. Moreover, we are wasting time, energy and emotions unnecessarily whereas Chris is just waiting and working quietly in the background towards a resolution of this issue with the Tax Office.

So, for what it is worth and with all the preceding comments in mind, what I personally believe that we will see is that:

• Those of us who believe that the HDT concept will fail will be proven right; and
• Those of us who believe that the HDT concept will work will be proven right.

How?

Simply, because of the way that the individual trust deeds are written and used.

So, whilst I know it is frustrating to do so, we are all best to wait and see what comes out of the discussions between Chris and the Tax Office.

I hope that this helps some

Dale

Hi Dale and others,

another structure I have seen recently is a unit trust that owns a business where some of the units are in turn held by discretionary trusts.

I have yet to work out if interest on any borrowings by the trustee of the unit trust is deductible and what the benefits of this structure may be apart from asset protection.

Ajax

I'm sitting by to wait and see what Chris has to post Dale (or yourself) and not getting caught up in the what-if's at the moment..

I'm interested in the outcome though

If a tax return for a HDT was due to be lodged, is there any point waiting to see the outcome of this ATO discussion with Chris Batten, or should we just treat it as business as usual, and go ahead and lodge it? It would be the first return the trust has lodged.

Cheers
mono

Hi

I think it would depend upon:

• the trust deed that you use
  • your accountant's thoughts on the situation; and
  • your comfort with the risks involved

We are treating things as "business as usual"

Dale

If a tax return for a HDT was due to be lodged, is there any point waiting to see the outcome of this ATO discussion with Chris Batten, or should we just treat it as business as usual, and go ahead and lodge it? It would be the first return the trust has lodged.

Cheers
mono

Hi Dale,

I think the issue of HDT's will largely depend on how many of our friends in parliament also use them. I'm sure if it will affect them all greatly then the ATO may soften their approach.

Hi
I have been following the various HDT threads actively; im looking into the Property Investor Trust™ Deed product from Chan & Naylor . Does anybody have any experience, feedback or intel on this product. Im sending this message out to a few threads.

http://www.chan-naylor.com.au/
What is the Property Investor Trust™ Deed?
The Property Investor Trust™ Deed is a hybrid trust deed modified with additional clauses to provide extra benefits to property investors.

Hi

As MRY has suggested, a good search of this forum will show a number of interesting threads re the PIT.

For what it is worth, we have a few clients who created this structure and our standard advice is that the tax office may not allow the claims under this deed because of the wording.

So, to be sure of your situation it may be worth doing more due dilligence including asking C&N for a copy of any information & correspondence with the ATO or expert legal opinion confirming the possible tax deductions if the trust is used as recommended.

Dale

Hi
I have been following the various HDT threads actively; im looking into the Property Investor Trust™ Deed product from Chan & Naylor . Does anybody have any experience, feedback or intel on this product. Im sending this message out to a few threads.

http://www.chan-naylor.com.au/
What is the Property Investor Trust™ Deed?
The Property Investor Trust™ Deed is a hybrid trust deed modified with additional clauses to provide extra benefits to property investors.

thanks Mry will investigate - do you have any personal opinion?

In a general sense, jrb, you can theoretically write a trust deed (or any legal document, for that matter) to achieve any result you want. That doesn't mean it's legal. If the courts, ATO, etc decide that the wording of a contract / trust deed is against the law, it won't work.
Alex

Thanks Dale
I have caught up on most of the threads; interesting to say the least. In addition to already owning property im looking for the following benefits in my structure: corporate trustee, share/cash investment, property investment, Asset Protection, Estate Planning, claimable negative gearing,, distributed Capital Gains; positive gearing benefits, flexibility to utilize SMSF in future. Dale can your org assist?

Back