I bought my dream car!

I've always been an advocate of buying the cheapest car you can but then I had kids and thought, gee what if we get hit in the side in the old banger. Side airbags and other safety features are expensive. I asked myself what's the point of 20 ips if someone in your family is seriously injured

I drive a 10 year old camry I paid 6.5k for 5 years ago.

Partner is picking up a new 40k+ car this arvo.
And she's only getting it because the accountant got in her ear.

5 - 10 yr olds a good number for a car isn't it , everyone else has paid for it but it's still a very nice car.
I'd have nothing against owning new cars , love the smell of a new car , feel , I just can't bring myself to pay for one. One day when it doesn't matter anymore!

The FHO get me , new house , all the gadgets and often not one but two new cars in their nice new garage = pretty well a second mortgage ! How ?

Cheers

A friend of mine had a beautiful bimmer complete with big wheels, spoilers etc.

He also had a 1970's golf with which he did his "everyday driving" - because the bimmer would get stuck on speed humps and going up driveways (even at the servo) :D

Cheers,

The Y-man

my dream car is a hummer stretch you gotta dream big never spent more then 9k on a car currently have a sportage 2001 cost us 7k few months ago

I would also like to own a slr 5000, another hj manoro,charger, and iroc z:p

I have an aversion to paying repayments on something that is quickly depreciating.

That leather may smell nice, but it can also be a bit on the nose if I was to think what it was really costing me (principle and interest) and what it's worth as time ticks by.

That and the fact my children are covered in mud in winter, and the car is treated much like a taxi, puts me off buying something too nice.

Things like cars, holidays and furniture have always been paid for in full.

My present car cost 15K which I'm thinking of updating. Presently looking at the Ford BA by private sale and should be able to pick up something nice for around 7 to 8K.

Should only cost me about 3K after the sale of my car :D.

My motto is just because I can afford the repayments doesn't mean I can afford the item. But that's me, and each to their own.

I've just never been a car person, I don't see the appeal other than getting from A to B. My flat mate has a $60k car and a loan with repayments if $200+ a week - about what it costs me to hold my IP for the month.

I drive 700m to work and maybe 5km tops other than that, the Barina more than does the job which is why I'm selling my V6 ute, way too heavy on fuel and would rather put the money towards a second IP.

1999 Holden Barina, 107, 000km, $2.5k... runs on an oily rag!
That's very low klm's for a car that age when you work out the klm's per year per month,so well done,a mate of mine only buys campervans from the auctions mainly deceased estates,he was telling me last night the last one he bought had over 7 k stuck up under the sink always pays to have a look under the seat:rolleyes:..willair..

I like to have nice new cars every few years. I know it doesn't make sense to some, but that nice new car feeling and the smell of leather. Mmmmm.

Of course, there is also the safety and reliabilty factors etc, not to mention tax advantages.

I don't see it as a waste of money, nor an investment. Can afford it so why not?

i would say most people with the shiney cars are financed or leased. I know a few people my age (in there 20s) and i can't think of a single one who 'owns' anything worth more than $20k as a vehicle.

as for why spend more on a car well it depends, sometimes these cheapies can be false economy.
$3k car, $1k repair bill = $3k car value so yes you don't have cost of capital or depreciation big expenses can land and you can end up chasing the loss of the car.

Then consider your time, if the car leaves you standarded you waste time, you need to drop it off to the mechanics more, you might need to upgrade with more regularity as these things die.

I like to have nice new cars every few years. I know it doesn't make sense to some, but that nice new car feeling and the smell of leather. Mmmmm.

I remember reading about the "new car smell" project, where someone was developing a spray for inside cars that would give it the "new car smell".... was going to be used in the second hand car market.

Cheers,

The Y-man

I tend to buy cars new, and keep them for 8-10 years. I can easily afford them (I actually pay cash these days), and figure it's not unreasonable to have some balance in life (especially now as I get towards the last couple of years of PPOR payments).

I was going to trade my '05 Astra in a few weeks ago on a new car, but couldn't get enough for it making the exercise not worthwhile. So, serviced it and put on some new tyres and figure on keeping it for another 3-4 years.

The V8 I don't think I'll ever get rid of. I like it too much!

I remember reading about the "new car smell" project, where someone was developing a spray for inside cars that would give it the "new car smell".... was going to be used in the second hand car market.

Cheers,

The Y-man

You could spray it on you, and feel like you're in a new car all the time :p.

Vroom vroom Pour Homme aftershave splash :cool:

I am a woman alone, who drives at night for shift work, drive many kms, I only ever buy new cars, I feel safer that they will stay reliable with less expensive break downs for longer.

I am a woman alone, who drives at night for shift work, drive many kms, I only ever buy new cars, I feel safer that they will stay reliable with less expensive break downs for longer.

One of the reasons I buy new cars is that I feel more comfortable about my wife and son driving in a modern vehicle that is as safe and reliable as I can reaosnable get.

Wait a second... You drive 700m to work? In a car? Without walking?

Yup, it's only 4 hour parking mon-fri where I park my car. When I start at 6-7am, getting up earlier means less sleep as well. Plus, I hardly feel like walking home after 12-13 hours, I gotta walk that far to get to my unit as it is anyway.

get a bicycle Bon......$150 from ebay ought to do it.......or maybe a $14,000 pink irridescent Pinarello with matching lycra if you live in Darlinghurst.

Back