I bought my dream car!

This looks like a good thread to post about rain-sensing wipers... I'd never really thought about them before but used them for the first time yesterday on my FIL's car and they were incredibly effective. Definitely a must-have on my next car.

Nothing like on my old car where I have to switch them off at traffic lights, and back on again when taking off... then maybe on the high setting when I hit 60kph. PITA.

A car is a car is a car! If it gets the family, the shopping, the bikes and the dog from A to B then it's a good one.

Unlike a motorcycle - a Ducati, for example, is a work of art! If you are looking for a road "experience" in getting from A to B then try a Monster... mmmmmm!!

Of course if you just want cheap, practical, everyday transport and insist on buying new then you really can't go past a CRX3. Can't be beaten!

:)

Nothing like on my old car where I have to switch them off at traffic lights, and back on again when taking off... then maybe on the high setting when I hit 60kph. PITA.

Had to think about what you were on about for a moment.

That feature wouldn't be a big seller here in SA, with our rainfall.

My windscreen sees more water from the wiper water tank than it does rain.

My first car was a 90 Mazda, i bought it for $900 with 9 months rego and i think it was something like 140km :)

But now i have no car (kinda) because i blew up my Mazda and can't afford to buy another car :(

My first car was a 90 Mazda, i bought it for $900 with 9 months rego and i think it was something like 140km :)

But now i have no car (kinda) because i blew up my Mazda and can't afford to buy another car :(

Oh poor lil Skater, I'm sure you can save for one soon. If it makes you feel any better I only ride a bike as every time I have had enough money to buy a reasonable car I put it on property instead. If I had it my way, everyone would own a skateboard or bike. Long distance travel would be by plane, train or ship. :)

But as I don't, I plan to buy a nice old classic car when I come back to Australia after my world trip. I love cars, enjoy F1 and WRC but cars are extremely dangerous in the wrong hands and they don't do much for the environment either.

I cannot f'n believe the amount of people driving 35 or even 50k cars these days.
Where do they get the money , how do they do it ?
I've always thought if you really wanna throw money away just go and buy a new car . You dump 10k driving it out the gate , another 10 or 20 in interest, servicing, insurances and repayments that could pay off a cheap house , just couldn't do it myself.
If I've ever got money to burn , maybe that day I'll treat myself to just a one off new car , just for the hell of it .

Well for starters I worked my backside off and saved for it. Yes you do lose a few thousand dollars on it as soon as you drive it out of the dealership but that doesn't/didn't worry me one bit. I know i will have my car for a very long time so the amount i paid for it i can more then justify. I think you need to realise that not everyone who drives a $35k+ car pays it off on finance, I brought my cash.

You also mention servicing? All cars need servicing. If what your trying to say is that dealerships charge you so much more in this regard well that's simple don't get your car serviced at one. As long as your car is serviced by an MTA approved mechanic you will not void the warranty on your car.

Insurance, well you can always shop around and get a better deal. I was initally with GI0 paying approx $1800 now im with AMMI and im paying approx $600.00 from memory, which isn't much.

At the end of the day each to their own.

I have a few great car stories....

I once bought a ZG Fairlane (1974) for $250. It came with 6 months rego. So i bought it, drove it around until it ran out of rego, and then i sold it to a local scout group for $300. I wish all car sales were like that.

Next car story - we decided to go on a road trip over to WA, so we went off and bought a 20 year old slant 6 Valiant. Paid $700 for it. We drove it over to WA via Broken Hill and up the WA coast, back down around the South West coast and around the bottom of WA and back across the Nullabour and came back through Victoria. We did this in about 8 weeks and for 8 weeks that car was our home.

We got back to NSW, stuck some new tyres on it and sold the car for $1450. The only thing that went wrong was a broken headlight due to a stone that got kicked up and went into the light.

My first car was a Datsun 1600 for $500. Wrapped it around a tree while trying to be a rally driver in the local forests. Still it was a good car but sadly now in the Datsun car yard up in the sky..

I also used to have an old SWB Landcruiser. Took that car to he11 and back twice - even rolled it. Just winched it back over and went my merry way again. The only thing that happened to that car was the exhaust fell off once while i was out bush. So I did the normal thing, ripped off some fencing wire from some cocky's fence and wired the exhaust back into place and it lasted like that for the next few years.

Old cars are good (ie old Fords, Holdens and Valiants). Easy to fix and when they are in good condition they are reliable.

Thanks

g

You're having a bad dream, wake up!

Btw didn't you just prang your previous dream car, ?Honda accord, or was that someone else here...

Btw my dream car at present (changes often!) is a Lamborghini Gallardo.

I'd like to buy one not as a "status symbol", but more as a symbol of what is possible and dreaming big.

:) but isn't that what status symbol literally means :p

I reckon I'd be happy with getting to the point where a new merc would be easy to afford every few years withut being a sacrifice. The C180 I'd be happy with I reckon, I'd like one now ! But a C63 or them S Class models could easily work !

Of course, in this dream scenario, i could also have a porsche or something smaller and sportier as well..

picked up a new Luxury Sports Mazda cx-7 this arvo.
went out tonight for dinner......in the old car......

getting the new car made us realize how attached we are to the old one.

:(

Good on ya for buying your dream car!

Why do people get so hung up on someone else's car?
If someone spends a lot of time in their car, what's the problem with a nice comfy one?
It's just a car. You drive it and when it no longer drives, you get another one.
If someone wants to work all week just to pay a car, who else's biz is it? Nobody's.
The same if you can buy one, and it's only small % of your wealth.
I'm happy with my little black car, and when I'm no longer it gets replaced.

I find it amusing going to the carwash cafe and watching those people obsess over their cheap cars, if only they'd put that effort into something more productive they could use and enjoy their car and dump it in a couple years for a better one.
The young females are the worst, it's hilarious. Good sunday arvo entertainment while looking at RE classifieds.

Back