I bought my dream car!

It sounds like a good deal but if it's from a second hand dealer I hope you got a warranty or a proper inspection, there is a lot of sharks out there. But or that price, it seems you have done well and is a lot better than what people do with refinancing their home to buy a $35,000 plus car or on high interest rates with some 3rd party lender.

Wow, thats why I love Somersoft.

People outdoing each other at ridiculous attempts at frugality.

Monsoon for a lot of people 35k for a car is very frugal.

You guys gotta get out more!!

Wow, thats why I love Somersoft.

People outdoing each other at ridiculous attempts at frugality.

Monsoon for a lot of people 35k for a car is very frugal.

You guys gotta get out more!!
35k would make a nice deposit on a house but I think the point he was making is that people whom can't afford $35k+ cars would refinance their house or sign up for a high interest loan just to buy a car. Sure there are many people here that would be able to afford 35k + cars, even 350k+ but the ones who can't are the ones whom car salesman can easily con.

I think you need to get out more Trogdor, you sound stressed! :rolleyes:

Bon has raised a very good point.

I think many, many people waste too much money and too much opportunity by going into debt for a 35k car - just so that they can say they have a new car, and/or to keep appearances. When in fact, this 35k car that cost them about 1000 a month to maintain and to service (ie, full running costs including finance) and will end up loosing 75-80% of it's value over the life of the finance. Good bye 30k + interest!

A 10 year old Camry for about 7k is a perfectly good family car and will not loose as much value compared to a brand new Ford or Holden. Sure the CAmry won't have the s3x appeal of a new car, but it will be more cost effective and maybe more reliable too.

The neighbours, family members and friends may not like it, and some people may not enjoy being seen in a 10 year old Camry instead of a new Falcon, but practicality and common sense must outweigh this perception issue. Unfortunately, many forget practicality and common sense.

Just think what some people could do if they chose a 10 year old car instead of a new car. While i realise that most people will still need finance for a 7k purchase, this difference in prices will still give an extra 500-600 per month in someone's pocket. This alone could go on paying down a PPOR or even a good start on building an investment strategy.

It is unfortunate though that many people don't look at the long term and instead go for the shiny new car for image etc.

Don't get me started on those people who buy 6 litre V8 utes and then only drive in the suburbs and then complain about the price of petrol - can't understand those people at all.

Oh well - i guess one could look at it in the way that these people may tend to be renters as opposed to home owners so they will also be giving us their hard earned too.

g

Last edited:
You're having a bad dream, wake up!

Btw didn't you just prang your previous dream car, ?Honda accord, or was that someone else here...

Btw my dream car at present (changes often!) is a Lamborghini Gallardo.

I'd like to buy one not as a "status symbol", but more as a symbol of what is possible and dreaming big.

I cannot f'n believe the amount of people driving 35 or even 50k cars these days.
Where do they get the money , how do they do it ?
I've always thought if you really wanna throw money away just go and buy a new car . You dump 10k driving it out the gate , another 10 or 20 in interest, servicing, insurances and repayments that could pay off a cheap house , just couldn't do it myself.
If I've ever got money to burn , maybe that day I'll treat myself to just a one off new car , just for the hell of it .

Big congrats Bon , hope it gives you many happy years .

I'm back to a 15yr old 4wd now because I'm building and renovating , carting building stuff and the blocks are often wet and man it's one of the best cars I've ever had - and , no computers to worry about . Plus , being a diesel and that I got a good buy ,I should get a grand or two more than I payed for it when I sell it , that's value.

Cheers

On the other hand, I can't believe the amount of people driving around in EF/EL Falcoons and VS/VT Commys. Must be the "just over 10 year old cheapy" bargains...:D:D:D

Besides , out of the 4 or 5 new cars out right now that I'd love to own , I'm damned if I know just which one I'd actually choose. Make more money and buy the lot I guess .

Cheers

My GF has 98 Barina on 96,000k. Awesome beast :)

gosh - mustn't drive much. i've got 170,000km on my 1998 corolla and wanting to "upgrade" to a 2005 toyota echo 3dr later this year. purely because i want something newe-rish and smaller.

i can't get over the amount of people (stay at home wives etc) driving around in $100k cars! lexus 4wds etc. i must live in a richly indebted area!

I cannot f'n believe the amount of people driving 35 or even 50k cars these days.
Where do they get the money , how do they do it ?
I've always thought if you really wanna throw money away just go and buy a new car . You dump 10k driving it out the gate , another 10 or 20 in interest, servicing, insurances and repayments that could pay off a cheap house , just couldn't do it myself.
If I've ever got money to burn , maybe that day I'll treat myself to just a one off new car , just for the hell of it .

Cheers
yeah I never thought Id buy a new car and then the krudmeister and his kronies introduce a 50% dep. allowance, so of we go to the dealer last June and splash out on a new golf r32. Works out to be the cost of a usd one - business on top tax rate.
Still I drive my 1k falcon on short trips when the other car is" unavailble"

1999 Holden Barina, 107, 000km, $2.5k... runs on an oily rag!

Hey Bon, up until recently I had been driving a 1999 Barina as well. Was driving it for 5 years. Never had an issue with it, loved it. Similar k's too. Sounds like a reasonable price. Does it have a/c?

For me however, after 5 years, it was time to move on towards something, well, with a little more appeal. Sacrifices are all well and good but they need to conclude with some reward, however modest. I went with an older car :eek: but it's a fine looking 1998 SLK 200 Merc.

My GF has 98 Barina on 96,000k. Awesome beast :)

Mine's a daihatsu charade, 1997, 107,000k. People call it the Ferrari or the Red Scorpio coz it's red.

Everyone asks me why I don't upgrade. I just tell them I'm waiting for the engine to die and I'll get a newer model. Perhaps a 1998 one :p

Back