I found a new beach on Saturday

We were up at Forster and just south there is a beach called Seven Mile Beach.

I used to think that the reason so many beaches in Australia have a name that reflects their length is that there are too many to name, but I realise now that it?s because when people were settling the coast 100 years ago, the beaches weren?t something they focussed on. They were flat out scratching a living out of what was often some pre scrubby country. Not many people would have swum at beaches back then, so there wouldn?t have been much of a need to name them.

I can imagine the conversation:

'I reckon we should give that beach a name.'
'What beach?'
'That one out of town. The seven mile long one.'
'That'd be the name, then.'

There is also a One Mile Beach closer to Forster.

Anyway, on Saturday, we took a drive along a dirt road that took us to the very northern end of Seven Mile Beach. I noticed a path that lead around the headland, so we went for a walk. It would have been impassable at high tide. After about 500 metres, we came to a beach that I bet doesn?t have a name. There was nobody there ? not even any footprints.

I was tempted to go for a swim, but it?s a deep beach and though I couldn't spot it, I thought there would be a bit of an undercurrent. The headline of Sunday?s newspaper flashed in front of my eyes: ?Sydney father of two (and idiot) drowns at unnamed beach.?

I've been coming to this part of the coast for many years and never knew about that beach.

Scott

Attachments

• beach.jpg
    beach.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 114
Nice pic.
We used to camp for weeks in that part of the world - Boomerang Beach actually. Great holidays. Beach cricket. Tree swing. Long beaches. Swimming dogs.
Very nice.

I was tempted to go for a swim, but it?s a deep beach and though I couldn't spot it, I thought there would be a bit of an undercurrent. The headline of Sunday?s newspaper flashed in front of my eyes: ?Sydney father of two (and idiot) drowns at unnamed beach.?

Scotty?if that photo is taken on the day you were going for a swim then I can safely say there is no or very little undercurrent there. hardly any wave action to create a current.

Even if there was, can you not swim/tread water?

The current will only take you out a bit you swim parallel to the beach and come back in on the inward bound.

Drown?

Just asking.

Yep, I know rip theory and have explained it to the kids. We spend a fair bit of time at the beach. There are good at spotting them.
That photo made it look a lot more benign than it was. There was quite a swell running. Right after I took that photo, a set of big waves came in. It's a steep beach and pretty narrow.
Better to be safe than sorry.
I'll go there next time, though. It truly is a great spot. And at the north end of Seven Mile Beach there are some great gutters for fishing.

Fair enough Scotty.

Yes its a great place. Being National Park helps the "remoteness" feel and what you found with no footprints.

Not many people,venture beyond the main roads/tracks do they.

Dont know what they are missing out on. Nothing better than to go walkabout while on holidays, go that extra mile.

Yep. It was only 2.5klm along a good dirt road. I have passed that turnoff a hundred times, but this one time thought we might as well have a look at what was there. I half expected to find a tip at the end of the road.
Next time I'll go there for a fish.

Back