I hate new computers: My rant

For some, they are better than an easter egg hunt, all those new goodies to be found.

Me? All I want is it to work the reckon it should, [Like the old one?] but they never do. Bought a windows lap-top and can't stand it so it stays unloved in the corner. I've had my new 27" Mac plugged in for a couple of days now and I'm still talking to you on the old one. In their wisdom they gave me an all-singing, all-dancing touch pad so I would be at home after having used my iPhone and iPad for so long. Trouble is, I never wanted to learn how to drive them either so never have.

The Wi-Fi is connected but isn't actually downloading for some reason, although it did so earlier. To run anything I must download something else first which ain't easy with that crappy touch-pad. The bluetooth mouse I bought with my windows box [which didn't have bluetooth anyway, the nice young lad at Hervey Norman didn't know what he was talking about] won't connect. Maybe I have lost a disc?

I'm pissed! I can feel a XXXX or two coming on. :mad:

i know what the problem is. it looks like this >

apple-logo1.jpg

If you want to know what the 'problem' is, look in the mirror. The computers work fine, it's just that you don't know what you're doing.

As referenced by Aaron, you deliberately chose to go out and buy an overpriced, non-upgradeable piece of junk that is now rivalling Microsoft in the 'how many security holes can we put into our software' stakes. Only you paid roughly double what you would have paid for a PC for it. Well done.

If you want to know what the 'problem' is, look in the mirror. The computers work fine, it's just that you don't know what you're doing.

As referenced by Aaron, you deliberately chose to go out and buy an overpriced, non-upgradeable piece of junk that is now rivalling Microsoft in the 'how many security holes can we put into our software' stakes. Only you paid roughly double what you would have paid for a PC for it. Well done.

Bit harsh Mr Fab,but i did smile :) New computers are like new mobiles,all the new and wonderfull tools half of which you will never use.

i would never buy a MAC to use as it just not practical enough as an enterprise solution in which my job is in. there are a multidude of things that i require on a windows box that is simply not available on a MAC platform.

it's more for the people in the design business esp those who do desktop publishing or for ppl who don't use more complicated applications besides email, browsing and basic word and number processing applications.

iphone and ipads are ok but purely for accessiblity.

Bit harsh Mr Fab,but i did smile :)

I didn't smile, and if this wasn't a "family" forum I'd let loose with both barrels.

I'm three score and ten and 'puters are a tool. Nothing more. If some young smart a$$ thinks he has scored a tick on the wall, he obviously has a sorry existence.

Note: I hated my windows box so much I don't even try with it.

i would never buy a MAC to use as it just not practical enough as an enterprise solution in which my job is in. there are a multidude of things that i require on a windows box that is simply not available on a MAC platform.

So what? I don't work in your enterprise and have a free choice in this great land called A U S T R A L I A!

agreed, whos a fan of the new win8... not me
while im young and know how to handle a computer even i find it hard to keep up with everything, i cant imagine how it would be for the older generation that didnt even have tv until they were a teen could manage

on another note details on the windows lappy and wanna sell it, how much?

I feel for you Sunfish. Younger people choose not to have children, and to get fat, so they can stay up to date with Microsoft's and Apple's OS's.

I suggest you go to Grays Online, and buy 8 of the same model notebooks, and install XPP and your fav apps to one of them. Don't pay anymore than $150.
Maybe 1 or 2 might play up, no matter how careful you screen them.
But the point is, you will then be able to restore a partition image from any one notebook to any of the others.
That should see your computing needs met for around 10 years, without having to learn another OS.

I am so over the MS and Apple business models to keep executives and B grade programmers in Ferraris and Porsches.

Hi Sunfish

I'm three score and a half and have just bought a smart phone for the first time and HAD to buy a new computer (now have Windows 7 instead of XP) as the old one died so I quite understand your complete frustration.

Is there no one you know who has the TIME and PATIENCE to sit down beside you and go through the things that are causing you problems?

I can remember my struggles years ago trying to send an SMS/text message until a friend of mine then wrote down the basic steps from 1-10. I was very grateful and after that I had no problems.

I'm presently trying to upload the pictures from my smart phone (Samsung) via bluetooth to my computer. I seem to get stuck at every corner. However I shall not give up....

Keep trying

Ciao AnnE;););)

I'm presently trying to upload the pictures from my smart phone (Samsung) via bluetooth to my computer. I seem to get stuck at every corner. However I shall not give up....

I think the problem there is the word "Bluetooth" ... I've never been impressed with this technology, other than for very simple device-to-device communications (eg headsets), but even then, I've found it to be unreliable.

Your phone probably came with some type of USB cable - try plugging that into the computer and the phone and see if you can transfer files that way. Most modern phones have an option to connect to your computer like a digital camera does for photo transfer.

I don't know about iOS 10 as I haven't really used it, but Windows 7 is certainly no harder to use than previous Windows versions (though I'm dreading Windows 8's hip new style).

The problem isn't new technology, that's fine and working as is. The problem is you (by your own admission) not wanting to learn how to use it.

Just get someone to install a Windows 3.1 emulator on one of your computers and use that exclusively.

Sim

Thanks for your comments which I very much appreciated. Coming from you I find your comments very interesting regarding Bluetooth.

In fact I did actually today do just that -I gave up and went out and bought a cable (which DIDN'T come with my Samsung) to transfer the photos.

Thanks once again

annE:):):)

Just used the below to change the look of a Windows 8 notebook

Also updated to 8.1

Configure the Desktop Startup

Step 1: Launch the Desktop from the Start page by clicking on the tile labeled Desktop.

Step 2: Right-click on the Taskbar.

Tip: The Taskbar is the solid-colored strip below the wallpaper.

Step 3: Choose Properties and then the Navigation tab in the resulting box.

Step 4: Scroll down to the dialog, "When I sign in or close all apps on a screen, go to the Desktop instead of Start," and check the checkbox. Click on OK.

The next time you restart your computer, the Start tile-based page will be skipped, and you'll launch into a Windows 7-style desktop instead. Hooray for the Luddites.

Tip: While you're on the Desktop page, check out the new-in-Windows 8.1 Windows icon in the bottom-left corner. It's a Start button of sorts, and clicking on it alternates you between the tile-infested Start page and the lovable classic Desktop page.

I haven't updated yet. 4GB download on an unreliable ADSL1 line with 100GB limit is undoable. 750MB download for the last iOs upgrade took 3 tries and 12 hours.

Perhaps I need to do it at one of those unhealthy food places with free wifi. I don't know if the quality of the line matches that of the food. I'd be happy if the speed was as good.

Back