I have to share this with someone

But I confess I'm finding it a very easy judgement to justify to myself. I'm not sure if I want to change my thinking such that "owning a flash car" is considered an equally valid goal as "spending time with loved ones".

"I love my cars" => "driving my cars" = "spending time with loved ones"

:D

Cheers,

The Y-man

Having just had a very near death experience within the family, you know, maybe they wanted to have some fun. 12 months ago I would have been as surprised as you are, know, well, I am re-evaluating everything.

Well said. Sometimes it's difficult trying to understand what other people do in life. What might seem wrong to us is right to them and vice versa. If it has bought some happiness into their life, fantastic.

As most of us would be aware, money doesn't necessarily make you happy. I had a dying auntie who's body was plagued with cancer tell me once and quote "If I could do anything different in my life, I would have worked less and spent more enjoying life". Her and her husband had about 7 properties paid off and at the ripe age of 55, sadly passed away.

Those stories are always very sad, I've seen a fair few myself. But it's easy to look back in hindsight and say when someone dies young(er) than they should have that things could have been done differently.

But these stories are the minority, the more prevalent scenarios are of those who live to 70-90 and are struggling away on pensions.

Wow, this has grown legs so to speak.
OK, I am happy to report that health and other issues of this type are all Good with this family.
The big goal for them was the toys, and nothing else, it was so that Mum could roll up to the Poll position on the start line at the school in the new BMW.
Apparently she got there real early to do this to, dreesed to the nines as well. Just to show off for the girls.
That is how I came across this info, I kind of know them from long ago.
Life changing ideals for them is the toys that they have never had, my simple guess is that they watched TT one evening and discovered they had money sitting there doning nothing, lets spend it.
The bit that make me smile is that there is not enough $ left for a car for the youngest child.....
Nows there is a way to cause a family rift.
I'll be keeping en eye out for the garage sale of cheap teles etc.

it was so that Mum could roll up to the Poll position on the start line at the school in the new BMW.
Apparently she got there real early to do this to, dreesed to the nines as well. Just to show off for the girls.

LOL I had a friend who did this. (not sold everything..but took equity to buy the flash BMW)
She turned up at school (mid 90's) in a brand spanking new 323i...only to have one of the Mums say (very genuinely) "OOOhhh I just LOVE those new Corrollas"!!!! LOL NOT HAPPY JAN!!!!

I tell you that conversation was one where I had to try VERY VERY hard not to burst out laughing. Still makes me giggle just picturing the look on her face that day. :D

The big goal for them was the toys, and nothing else, it was so that Mum could roll up to the Poll position on the start line at the school in the new BMW.

How very sad :(. I know a couple of local families who pick their vehicles and other consumables with the envy of other families as part of their deliberations.

Funny thing is that people are indeed talking about them, but not for the reasons they think :rolleyes:.

Nooo... but I can imagine that people might say:

"if only I'd gone to visit my brother/sister overseas that I haven't seen for 20 years"

or

"if only I'd gone to visit the pyramids in Egypt (or whatever), which I've dreamed of doing since I was a child"

You mean those deadbeat relatives who end of costing you every time you are around them? :D

I think the saddest thing is the people who saved and saved and lived like a pauper and then suddenly drop over from a heart attack and never got to enjoy anything they worked hard for.

Or the ones who raise and coddle some brats who they scrape and sacrifice for and give them everything they didn't have only to have those brats constantly in trouble with the law, wrecking a car and the good parent keeps buying them another 30k automobile like they were pairs of socks. Then the parent gets old and feeble their beloved spawn ships them off to a nursing home and proceeds to bleed the estate dry on plasma tvs, booze, and cars.

I drive a flash car after years of driving a hoopty that was held together by bandaids. I figured I worked all these years, why not enjoy something nice so I bought my dream car; a flashy convertible and let me tell you how nice it feels to sink down in those heated leather seats on a cold morning as compared to some old hard as a rock cloth seats with cat pee smell. :D

I think the saddest thing is the people who saved and saved and lived like a pauper and then suddenly drop over from a heart attack and never got to enjoy anything they worked hard for.

This was my point too.

I drive a flash car after years of driving a hoopty that was held together by bandaids. I figured I worked all these years, why not enjoy something nice so I bought my dream car; a flashy convertible and let me tell you how nice it feels to sink down in those heated leather seats on a cold morning as compared to some old hard as a rock cloth seats with cat pee smell. :D

Ah, I have just bought a second hand SAAB (but many years old with low k's) and SAAB lovers keep telling me about those seats.

Hope it was a decent Bimmer - not a 3 series (unless it was an M3)....

I always think it would be more impressive to turn up in a big Kenworth prime mover and take up 10 car spots / stopping traffic while letting the kids off :D

Cheers,

The Y-man

Ah, I have just bought a second hand SAAB (but many years old with low k's) and SAAB lovers keep telling me about those seats.

Good luck with the SAAB, Pushka

I bought a brand new SAAB in 1976 and bits fell of it as I drove along!

Bits like the clutch pedal breaking in two

Bits like the tension screws coming loose in the clutch

Bits like the handbrake never actually working

Bits like ....

Years later, Mike bought a SAAB - unfinished business, I always said - and bits fell of that, too!

We are well and truly over 'luxury cars'. To me, luxury is reliability, and yes the heated seats were a real novelty (something which my 1993 Starwagon doesn't have) but in the five years I had it, my SAAB was in the mechanic's garage seemingly more than it was in mine.

Cheers
Kristine

My thoughts when I read this thread is mental instability.
Maybe there is a mid life crisis or illness.
I provided childcare for a family a few years back, and this was a symptom of manic depression/bipolor.The husband told me his wife snapped and it was hell at home. There is this "feeling of grandeure" and she cost the family thousands of dollars.They had to refinance their home, and it was only a few years of being paid off.
She has never been able to return to work.

I always think it would be more impressive to turn up in a big Kenworth prime mover and take up 10 car spots / stopping traffic while letting the kids off :D
I like your style, Y-man...

Now you've got me thinking...

monster.jpg

Hope it was a decent Bimmer - not a 3 series (unless it was an M3)....

Cheers,

The Y-man

I think a decent BMW would chew up the 200g easy.
I showed up to Daycare one day covered in concrete dust, draging a big trailer behind my old Ute and happily took all the room up. I wasn't very popular to say the least.
I must try the school next year in a B Double for laughs.

Back