I have to share this with someone

This is complete madness, yet, I know of know one other then you guys to share this with.

Here's the situation.
A family, eldest child just got car licence.
They built their new home just before 1st child was born, nice adequate family home in a good suburb which has undergone massive upgrades recently, new shops etc.
They were way ahead in house payments and that with the value gained over about 18 years, what do you think they did with that equity?
I know what we all would do, but how’s this.
Sold the house and most of the furniture.
Pocketed well over 200k, and moved into a big shinny 5 bed RENTAL home with a pool.
Yep, a Rental!
Payed out of their own pocket for a Bali hut to be built.
Got Mum and Dad a new car each, flash ones, also one for the eldest child.
Filled the house with Plasma everything.
Now the money has gone.
The weekly rent is about 3 x the house payments and can only go up.

I felt like driving around to find these people and slap them around a bit.
But then again, somewhere, a Property investor has themselves a captured tenant.
How good is that.
So, I wonder if they have any friends they may have an influence over…………………?

I feel better now, thanks

But then again, somewhere, a Property investor has themselves a captured tenant.
How good is that.

Not really. After a year they'll struggle and have to move into a cheaper place.

Sounds like a midlife crisis to me.

Wonder what their retirement plan is.:eek::confused:

Still shaking my head.

Pocketed well over 200k, and moved into a big shinny 5 bed RENTAL home with a pool.
Yep, a Rental!
Payed out of their own pocket for a Bali hut to be built.
Got Mum and Dad a new car each, flash ones, also one for the eldest child.
Filled the house with Plasma everything.
Now the money has gone.
If they'd invested the $200K+ in shares or something because they thought they could get a better return, I'd be much more forgiving, but this is just nuts!

And we'll all be paying for their pension, no doubt. :( (Their retirement and our own - great! :mad:)

Ostentatious Poverty

wish they were my tenants

Not for long..............as the defaults will start..........similar story on one of ACA or TT caught my attention a couple of months ago.

Waterfront rental , highspec falcodorrers boat, TV's, you get the idea and those probably on hire or finance also, and defaulting on rental payment for months.

Slaves to instant gratification and looking and living rich (albeit for a finite time) with the trinketts and high staus artefacts.

Ostentatiously poor. ;)

Once it's all gone, they'll need to be on a bus route to the Centrelink office.

Having just had a very near death experience within the family, you know, maybe they wanted to have some fun. 12 months ago I would have been as surprised as you are, know, well, I am re-evaluating everything.

Having just had a very near death experience within the family, you know, maybe they wanted to have some fun. 12 months ago I would have been as surprised as you are, know, well, I am re-evaluating everything.
If they were spending the money on visiting family and friends interstate/overseas, or travelling somewhere they'd always dreamed of visiting, I'd be more inclined to see this point of view.

But I don't think too many people on their death bed would be thinking "oh, if only I'd driven that flash car, it would have brought more meaning to my life". :rolleyes:

lol ozperp
But I don't think too many people on their death bed would be thinking "oh, if only I'd driven that flash car, it would have brought more meaning to my life". :rolleyes:

So you think on your death bed your going to be thinking
"If only I worked more"
"If only I bought cheaper crap"
"If only I could've saved more money"
"I wish I had more IPs"
"I should've stuffed that cash in my pillow"
"Please place my savings in my coffin with me"

So you think on your death bed your going to be thinking
"If only I worked more"
"If only I bought cheaper crap"
"If only I could've saved more money"
"I wish I had more IPs"
"I should've stuffed that cash in my pillow"
"Please place my savings in my coffin with me"
Nooo... but I can imagine that people might say:

"if only I'd gone to visit my brother/sister overseas that I haven't seen for 20 years"

or

"if only I'd gone to visit the pyramids in Egypt (or whatever), which I've dreamed of doing since I was a child"

Nooo... but I can imagine that people might say:

"if only I'd gone to visit my brother/sister overseas that I haven't seen for 20 years"

or

"if only I'd gone to visit the pyramids in Egypt (or whatever), which I've dreamed of doing since I was a child"

But those are your dreams ozperp - their dream is to drive a flash car and own a pool and just have fun with their family. The flash car is not the end goal, it is the fun they will have with it.

I could understand upgrading the house by either selling & buying something better, or just extending & putting in a pool. Even using the equity to buy cars, as the payments would be cheaper than renting the bigger home, but I agree, selling everything to spend on crap & rent is just stupid.:confused:

Living high on the hog

There is no mention that they had a background of any near-life ending or near-death experiences by allmine, so for the sake of the argument and exhange here, let us assume that they merely went haywire (their choice entirely) to live high for a short and finite time.

In the event (as this thread has now raised this sensitive point), that one were dealing with an epiphany moment where the "life is short" notion applies due to personal or close terminal (or near terminal) life situations apply.............then everyone is free to do as they wish. Nothing is right or wrong.

One cannot judge another's core values according to their own, nor imply that anothers value system has less integrity than their own. My integrity has nothing to do with another's.........it means to be "whole" to oneself. No one else is involved. ;)

For some it may involve travel, to others spending more time with loved one's, to others it may mean spending as much time in a Porsche whilst accelerating and braking thru all that their life at that point throws at them.....the up's and the down's.

Now, to digress back to the original post.............these folks sound like they are happy to adopt a "big hat, no cattle" lifestyle and live high on the hog, for as long as that little piggy will last. :(

Allmine, is there any other issue that you know of (such as near-death) that might have caused them to make such a decision? :confused:

But those are your dreams ozperp - their dream is to drive a flash car and own a pool and just have fun with their family. The flash car is not the end goal, it is the fun they will have with it.
It never occurred to me that "drive a flash car and own a pool" was the kind of goal that would change one's view of a life as well-spent or otherwise. I would have thought fun with family was independent of material possessions (apart from those people so steeped in poverty that their lives are miserable; that could certainly impede family fun).

But...
One cannot judge another's core values according to their own, nor imply that anothers value system has less integrity than their own.
Player, I plead guilty to being judgemental. But I confess I'm finding it a very easy judgement to justify to myself. I'm not sure if I want to change my thinking such that "owning a flash car" is considered an equally valid goal as "spending time with loved ones".

But perhaps I'm completely missing the point, because I know, Player, that you're a smart fellow. Am I looking at this all wrong? :confused:

One cannot judge another's core values according to their own, nor imply that anothers value system has less integrity than their own. My integrity has nothing to do with another's.........it means to be "whole" to oneself. No one else is involved. ;)

I'd disagree with you there Michael. I'm almost certain that every sane adult judges others core values probably about 50 times a day.....every day.

The relevant point is that in most cases that judgement means diddly squat and the two parties involved simply go their separate ways.

There are people in the world however, whose judgements do affect others value systems and opinions - I'm thinking shire councillors reviewing your housing proposals and obviously judges themselves in a court of law.

Your integrity only goes so far before someone steps in and is allowed to stop you if society in general think your core values suck.

However - for what this thread is discussing - I agree with you, we are not in a position to impose judgement.....but that doesn't stop us from judging. Difference of course being that we cannot impose any force to our judgement.

I'm not sure if I want to change my thinking such that "owning a flash car" is considered an equally valid goal as "spending time with loved ones".

But perhaps I'm completely missing the point, because I know, Player, that you're a smart fellow. Am I looking at this all wrong? :confused:

I think all goals are equally valid. Including hoarding $200k of cash in a pillow case, if that's what makes you happy.

To clarify folks,

in the light of this conversation perhaps the phrase our/my judgement "should not matter" rather than say "one cannot judge". Of course one can judge.......we are all free to do as we please. ;)

I can use some definite and didactic words and terminology sometimes, and my intented message can be equivocal and raise conjecture on occasions. :rolleyes: My response only relates to the topic of this thread and the issue raised of being on one's deathbed.

As TPFKAD indicates in the real world of the judiciary and the municipalities, etc., the pecking order and hierarchy will require one's view and values to become more malleable and flexible or they can "break you". :eek:

Ozperp, again on the topic of the thread, you and I probably resonate on the value scale and the priority that these values adopt, however each is entitled to their own hierarcy..........from the perspective of the death-bed notion, not what these folks have done.

Again, back to the initial scenario presented. I also think what they've done is foolish, however it is their choice. At the very leasst, I guess, they did take some initial initiative and responsibility and commit to a house/mortgage and gain some equity that they have now done with as they have wished......their choice

There are others who choose to be reliant on the rest of us before they've even worked an hour in their life and are on Centrelink scholarships to surf all day :mad: .......again their choice......and our expense

Dazz, I think this is where the "system" should pass judgement come and squash the recipient's integrity and have them do something for others whilst they are paid by us.

how sad is it when someone has to come onto a forum and bag someone for doing something that they wouldn't do.

'In the end we are all just chalk lines on the concrete, drawn, only to be washed away. For the time that I've been given..... I am what I am'

ffdp

I'm sure people judge me all the time. But guess what - I don't care!

Juding others adversely can make you into a narrow, unhappy human though. Be careful of it. I had a BIG think about this stuff in my early 20's and decided I would try hard not be 'judgemental'. And I think I am much happier for it.

As for the family involved - they will bear the consequences of their actions. As will we.

Back