I just thought of a way to save 5 million litres of water every day in Australia!

While I was having a slash outside about 5 minutes ago, I pondered how much water we would save if, instead of having a tinkle with a half flush (4.5L), we went outside and pissed in the garden. Now, if every male in Australia did this once a day, there you have it....5 million litres of water saved every single day. I'm a genius...:D

That's an excellent idea! Should be part of any water saving ad campaigns.

I've heard that p-ing on many plants is very good for them, but I dunno how true that is :confused: I know that many if not all plants like beeing fertilized with poo, but that's probably taking water saving too far.

While I was having a slash outside about 5 minutes ago, I pondered how much water we would save if, instead of having a tinkle with a half flush (4.5L), we went outside and pissed in the garden. Now, if every male in Australia did this once a day, there you have it....5 million litres of water saved every single day. I'm a genius...:D

Perhaps many are already saving water that way ;).

My husband saves us many litres a day, but the other two males more than make up for it with long showers.

Mind you they probably pee in the shower instead :rolleyes:.

thats a great idea , now post your address so i can add to the water saving , their would only be about 3000 members that would use your yard , :D

thats a great idea , now post your address so i can add to the water saving , their would only be about 3000 members that would use your yard , :D

and probably another 5000 sitting around watching for poor buggers holding off until they get to his yard :D

My son and I actually do this already.

It would only have to be once a day, at night, where the paparazzi would have to put up with mozzies just to get a snap...perhaps it could become a new trend to create an "outside dry water closet", who knows, it could add value to your house!!! :D

It certainly would take a bit of work changing the mindset of those teaching young males.

'now get outta there and go use the garden'

'are you sure you **$$*d in the shower. Don't let me catch you using the toilet later'.

'the toilet is for visitors'

:p

5 million litres per day? This equals 1.8 billion litres per year. Which equals 1.8 million cubic metres per year

According to this page, total consumptive water use in Australia in 2004/04 was 18.8 Billion cubic metres. This equates to 18,800 million cubic metres per year.

So the difference this idea would make is 1.8/18,800 = 0.01%

Every little bit helps of course but we might need to do something more than this!

BTW the same page says the average cost of water and sewage per household is $60 per month, with an average use of 280 litres per day per person.

Of course for industrial and agricultural users the cost is much, much less...

So, with residential use accounting for only 11% of total water consumption in Australia, it might not be the place to look if we really want to save water.

But don't tell anyone - ask anyone on the street and they will all tell you that taking shorter showers and using waterless urinals will save us!

A classic case of the very successful use of spin by politicians to try to convince us that they are "doing something" about our "water shortages" by telling you what days you can water your lawn...

If only we were smarter than that. :(

I think a lot (ok, maybe just some) of us realise most of it is spin by politicians.

What a great excuse to increase the price of water and add levies (my reason for wanting to cut consumption), and to be seen to be doing something, when where they should be, they don't because it's too costly.

Here in SA we also pay a Murray water levy, that goes into the coffers, instead of being used for it's very specific purpose :mad:.

Smacks of the financial gains I believe will be made through any carbon emissions reduction plans/scheme they try to pass.

Another, albeit more controversial, idea to reduce water use, is to stop drinking beer. Every stubby uses approximately 5 litres of water to make.

Back