I love a reno challenge

NBS

Most interested in your reno, I did a search on your location and no houses for sale under 200K.

Our son lives in a suburb close to you so most interested in your project.

Engineers
The bain of all builders until you work out what you need and tell them this is what you want ( we haven't been able to achieve this but our understanding is that large volume builders can0

Good Luck
Shern

RENO software

Dear Brian,

You can buy software to calculate your costs before you do the renovation, through the Renovating for Profit website. They have FINANCIAL FEASIBILITY:
Renovation Costs and Profitability documents that they sell.

These professional renovators are holding courses Aus wide this year. I am doing the course in Melbourne in June. Might be worth looking at for Brisbane in August?
www.renovatingforprofit.com.au

I hope this helps?

A

These professional renovators are holding courses Aus wide this year. I am doing the course in Melbourne in June. Might be worth looking at for Brisbane in August?
www.renovatingforprofit.com.au
Do these professional renovators use a builder to project manage? It's very hard to make enough profit if you do, but if you don't, you're breaking the law.

Does anybody know what The Reno Kings advise on this matter?

Dear Brian,

You can buy software to calculate your costs before you do the renovation, through the Renovating for Profit website. They have FINANCIAL FEASIBILITY:
Renovation Costs and Profitability documents that they sell.

I hope this helps?

I'm a bit old fashion in how I cost things but have been looking at software which will allow me to scan a plan of a project in and I can cost the job using all my supplier price list that are linked to this software. Every time I log onto the net the pricing is automatically updated if there has been a price rise. $3300 ish not cheap but does save lots of time. Can cost a whole house in couple of hours and will also give quanity and cut list and price.

It does not have financial feasibility but I figure if you know your costs to renovate you can work out a buying price to give you a reasonable profit.

Brian

Tuesday - engineer is set for 10.30 so hoping I get the green light and no replacement timbers are required.

Order windows and sheeting, windows about 3 weeks, sheeting 3 days

The kitchen was measured and final design set and will be two week before ready.

Wednesday - Power (single power point will be connected), great will not have to run lead from neighbours place.

Hey mate all the best, if you at all need a quote on your shower screen send me a PM.

As for 40k to reno, i have done a full house for under 20k a few years back, 4 bedroom highset, anythings possible and good luck, oh and def get rid of the louvers ha. I hate louvers from when i had to clean them in my ARMY days.

Well engineer came today and ........ he looked at the area in question and looked at me and back at the job and said there is nothing wrong with the timbers, I said, yep, I know BUT certifier said I HAD to get an engineer to look at the timbers. I will not say what he said :rolleyes: suffice to say I can now get things moving a bit quicker (if both my son) and I can get over this damn cold we both have. I will say NOT HAPPY to fork out $$$ for no good reason so may call certifier tomorrow and tell him why I will not be using his business and get another for the works I need.

Still smiling.

I always try and use local trades where I can on my jobs but got a price for plaster work today :eek: so much for local trades. Waited today for local floor sander for price, did not turn up :( not a major issue for me other than I was sick and just wanted to go home ( I was ready to leave buy 1 pm and go to bed) but hung out for hours because he was coming at 4.30 pm, 5 pm I left.

Oh well tomorrow is another day

Brian

Wow things are really moving along now for you.

We have had a couple of very productive days on our reno. Got the keys thursday evening, then started the rip out friday.....by yesterday afternoon we had all the stuff out we wanted out, I have had the electrician in to wire things up for the new layout, he found some bad wires, so has/is rewiring the rest while he is at it. Plumber has been and checked things out, will be back on monday now the walls are off and floors are up. Getting all the 'outdoor' plumbing shifted inside the brickwork/under the house.
Plasterer arrived yesterday to do his quote and it sounds pretty good to me, so he will be back to do the job wed/thurs next week....things are all go go go. Now it all just has to go to plan.

Well I have tried to post photos but alas nothing happens. Not sure If I have to resize them first then post, I just assume this program resizes as it post.

If anyone can help I can get things happening.

Brian

Well I have tried to post photos but alas nothing happens. Not sure If I have to resize them first then post, I just assume this program resizes as it post.

If anyone can help I can get things happening.

Brian
If your photos are to big it seems to freeze them and nothing happens.:confused:
Best way I found to put photos online if you are running XP is to highlight the photos you want to put up,
Right mouse click,
Send to mail recipient,
It will ask you if you want to make them smaller,say yes.

Your email program will then come up with the smaller photos attached.
Drag them off onto the desktop.Upload them from there.:D
Works for me

Update - the place has been ripped apart, all ceilings, the kitchen, laundry, bathroom, I have also removed a couple of walls as I figured it was easier and more cost effective to do this. Next week I can start to build the walls, install bath, and organise for the sheeting to be delivered for Friday. I have also had an engineer give the tick that all the fire area is sound and thus does not need replacing (which I knew, but had to get the tick :cool:). Sparkie has also run all the wires and I now have power to the place with a couple of power outlets installed in the metre box.

A rather large tree was also removed (well tree lopper did) a chinese elm about 50 odd feet high covering two houses and electrical wires for $880.00 this included stump removal, I felt that was a good price and the stump removal will happen later this week

This week
Stump to be removed, sheeting to be delivered, some roof tiles to be replaced, gutters and downpipes to be cleaned, measure and order windows to replace louvers.

At this stage I am below budget so that is pleasing. Anyway if I can work out how to post photos I will put some up.

Brian

Attachments

• resized-IMG_3200.JPG
    resized-IMG_3200.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 263
  • resized-IMG_3281.JPG
    resized-IMG_3281.JPG
    95.9 KB · Views: 263
  • resized-IMG_3276.jpg
    resized-IMG_3276.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 195
Well have done a heaps to date, all main work internal has been done with a couple of days next week will see the place ready for sheeting and the bath installed.

Have given myself an "uppercut" re the roof tiles (SHOULD) have realised once a fire hits them and water is applied they become brittle and will LEAK BIG TIME) so it seems I will have to replace 400 - 500 tiles :( had a quote $2800 ish :cool: bugger, ho hum move on to next.

All walls built as required plus a linen cupboard in laundry and built in wardrobe in main bedrroom and 2nd bedroom. Toilet removed today (we needed it to date) and found three rotten floor boards :( so cut them out ready now for new boards next week. Kitchen ordered. Have decided to replace lourvers with aluminium sliders, will order monday and can be on site 10 days.

I have purchased oven hotplates and range hood for under $1000 with 4 year warranty so feel this is quite good and two air cons 3.5 and 2.5 kw $1300 with $200 cash back, so $1100 in total.

Have found the place has a path around the front of the houses front garden so this will need clearing which runs around to the back ramp, mind you the chinese elm has caused a few issues here but nothing that cannot not be fixed.

I am in a debate with my sparkie at the moment which will not end nicely (more the pitty:( ), suffice to say I feel I am being "SCREWED" and have questioned his estimate to the point of saying "put your wires out".

Failing that all else is moving along well pity about my day job getting in the road of true progress.

Will have to look at engaging a certifier this week so all is ready for the patio and carport works in a couple of weeks. I would like to finish inside before moving outside.

Brian

I am in a debate with my sparkie at the moment which will not end nicely (more the pitty:( ), suffice to say I feel I am being "SCREWED" and have questioned his estimate to the point of saying "put your wires out".
I suspect you've become accustomed to buying at ridiculously low prices, and he wants to charge a price that allows him to make a profit. ;)

Ozprep,

You could be right about the profit thing but I have used this sparkie a lot and found his prices to be on par with others, untill now, and today I find out he has passed the whole business to his partner who is the one billing me. :cool: This would seem to explain a few things.

Let me know if this seems expensive $400 to hook up one power point and one light in a garage that I am laying all the conduit and pulling the wires through :eek:.

Or $700 supply and fit 5 smoke detectors :eek: Or maybe $45.00 for one batten holder :confused:

I sure when I discuss this bill with the partner we can meet at an agreeable amount.

Brian

I am in a debate with my sparkie at the moment which will not end nicely (more the pitty:( ), suffice to say I feel I am being "SCREWED" and have questioned his estimate to the point of saying "put your wires out". Brian

Funny how things change our sparkie has now taken on another electrician and they share the work, wonder who will bill us. :rolleyes:

Friend of ours had a metre box installed to build a duplex and was charged 3K we paid $1600 if anything ours was further from the kerb.

Written quotes are needed we have been 'stung' when verbal quotes are forgotten and hubby won't query tradies bills.

Experience is a learning lesson...

Keep the posts coming.

Regards
Sheryn

Back