I love a reno challenge

Let me know if this seems expensive $400 to hook up one power point and one light in a garage that I am laying all the conduit and pulling the wires through :eek:.
A tad high, but I wouldn't expect it to be less than $250-300.
NBS said:
Or $700 supply and fit 5 smoke detectors :eek: Or maybe $45.00 for one batten holder :confused:
They all sound " in the ballpark". Actually $45 for a batten holder sounds like a bargain.

I dunno, I find tradies' quotes very unpredictable. Usually I'm left thinking "gee, that's steep!", but occasionally they're less than I anticipate, so I think it's really hard to gauge. I'm not sure whether this variability is because:

a) sometimes they don't want the job and quote high so if they get it, they make good money, and if they don't get the job, they don't care;

b) I'm just hopeless at estimating how much work is involved in a job and they're better at it than I am;

c) they randomly pluck figures from thin air; or

d) a bit of all the above.

Well the sparkie that did the bill called me today and I'm pleased after I explained why I felt the price was high he understood and said he does more commercial work than residential and that what he charges as per his computer program with his rates. He appologied and said he will sit down with me and adjust his figures to be more suitable to the residential market, an area he wants to expand into.

I now feel it will be a good outcome, I'm not here to rip anyone off everyone has a right to earn a fair income, but it also needs to fair to the other party.

I've moved on :)

Well back to the house in the morning after wife picks the top colour for kitchen. This week plan to order kitchen, windows and plasterboard, pick up insulation install bath and frame for buitin robes.

Have not decided if I will get a plasterer in to hang and set the sheets my son wants to hang the sheets :cool:I'm not as keen (body that is) will have to get a sheet lifter if we do it much easier.

Now for the budding renovator one of the better tools I use is a Multitool and it is used to cut out floor boards if replacing one, skirting to put a stud wall up or in our case cut out the bottom plate where the doorways are. I also use it to take out gyprock cornices works a treat. The tool cost me $98.00 at bunnings on special a year ago (Blades are not cheap don't bust them :D). If I did this right you will have a photo.

Brian

Attachments

• resized-004.JPG
    resized-004.JPG
    83.8 KB · Views: 190
Well the sparkie that did the bill called me today and I'm pleased after I explained why I felt the price was high he understood and said he does more commercial work than residential and that what he charges as per his computer program with his rates. He appologied and said he will sit down with me and adjust his figures to be more suitable to the residential market, an area he wants to expand into.
I'm glad for you, but I am curious as to why he'd want to expand into an area with lower pay... :confused:
NBS said:
I now feel it will be a good outcome, I'm not here to rip anyone off everyone has a right to earn a fair income, but it also needs to fair to the other party.

I've moved on :)
Great! Just to be super-clear, because computer text is so poor at conveying tone, I wasn't suggesting you were trying to be unfair. :)
NBS said:
Now for the budding renovator one of the better tools I use is a Multitool and it is used to cut out floor boards if replacing one, skirting to put a stud wall up or in our case cut out the bottom plate where the doorways are. I also use it to take out gyprock cornices works a treat. The tool cost me $98.00 at bunnings on special a year ago (Blades are not cheap don't bust them :D). If I did this right you will have a photo.
Got the photo, thanks for the tool tip, will check it out. :)

Thanks for keeping us informed as to how things are going, it's always interesting to learn from others on this challenging path.

Ozprep, No offence was taken, :)

Kitchen ordered, set to be fitted around the 22/6 so best get my figure out and get the plastering in and finished.

The stump was ground out yeaterday he did a rather good job and tracked the roots back a couple of metres.

Day off tomorrow, otherwise know as wifes day :rolleyes:

Photo 1 Tree in - Photo 2 Tree out - Photo 3 Stump gone and you may see the demolished shed in the back ground.

Brian

Attachments

• resized-IMG_3244.jpg
    resized-IMG_3244.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 139
  • resized-IMG_3302.jpg
    resized-IMG_3302.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 155
  • resized-007.jpg
    resized-007.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 159
Hi NBS, looks great, are those houses built on a concrete slab up off the ground? and if so what holds it up? I've never seen one built like that. Thanks.:)

Hi NBS, looks great, are those houses built on a concrete slab up off the ground? and if so what holds it up? I've never seen one built like that. Thanks.:)

This was constructed on concrete stumps with a solid concrete beam around the outside of the house which support the double bricks walls. Inside of this are the bearers with joists and timber flooring. The stumps look like they are 250 x 250 mm and are spaced no more than 2.4 metres apart. The beam appears to be 250 x 250 as well. I have not measured then just a guess. The building is very solid and level and square (never heard of when I have to do any renovation :rolleyes:)

Will say I had not seen this construction or for that matter the internal wall construction method before either. The internal walls are panels of either 1200 - 900 or 450 wide and click together these walls are all honeycomb type construction similar to your standard internal doors. These panels do not sit on the floor and are not attached to the ceiling :cool:. The walls are 51 mm think :confused: Oh and the ceiling height is 2460 so had to alter a few things as 2 x 1200 sheets would have been a little tight for the 55mm cornice I was going to use, so had to up the cornice to 90mm no biggie of course just the usual few dollars more :cool:.

Makes for interesting reconstruction let me say. Here is a couple of shots however I don't have a cut view of the panels. If I have a panel on site I will cut open and get a photo.

Brian

Attachments

• resized-IMG_3286.JPG
    resized-IMG_3286.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 132
  • resized-IMG_3288.JPG
    resized-IMG_3288.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 131
Well not a great few days to say the least, sheeting has arrived and 500 roof tiles have now been replaced and ridges and hips rebeded. This had to be done before plaster was installed. At least now I don't have tarps on the roof.

Had planned to have the place sheeted but alas not to be so will have to put kitchen and plasterer back a week (BUGGER). Hopefully Monday week will have plaster doing his thing. Have decided to stop pushing and give myself some breathing space.

Anyway a couple of days off (going to real job :rolleyes:) then back in to it.

The photos did not work out that well but this is the inside of the wall panelling as I said much like a internal door. Also the new (2nd hand roof tiles) oh and checking the trader today 300 of my roof tiles GIVE AWAY GRRRRRRRRRR typical would have saved $450.00

Till next update
Brian

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 137
  • resized-006.jpg
    resized-006.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 144
Why not get the give away tiles and sell them to offset the cost of buying the others?

Yes that is a fair point (considered) but I figure the time to load and move to the house (advertise) and store I feel my time is better spent working on the house. Also the tiles are on the northside of bris and my site is on the south, my guess weight is a ton plus while I could get in one load it wouldt take a day turn around bit of catch 22. To be honest I would have to wait till the next storm to hit Bris to advertise the tiles. But alas may make the call and say will collect when able better to have I guess than be caught in a storm :confused:

That is my problem Painter I work hard to do the right thing and all legal, but it is at a cost, and I do wonder how people do what they say they do and be legal, maybe I'm missing something :cool:

I will also say if anyone wants to come out to the site most welcome just PM me and work out a time ask questions and I will help with any construction questions you may have :). I have three floors if you want to test your sanding skills (as a learning curve bunnings has them on hire for $45 a day) as they are being carpeted. I am considering trying myself and see if I can do it save monies on main floor :confused:

Thanks
Brian

That is my problem Painter I work hard to do the right thing and all legal, but it is at a cost, and I do wonder how people do what they say they do and be legal, maybe I'm missing something :cool:

when i do renos i put in the best i can to make the work stand out from the weekend warriors ,this means putting in a new kitchen and vanity (being as i make the things its a big help).i am constantly asked to put in cheap kitchens as its"only a rental".my thinking is that if people would only/could only understand that its not just a rental its their future source of income that they are asking me to do work on . needless to say i always seem to miss out on the cheap kitchen jobs :D:D

As is currently being discussed in this thread, it's not legal, and most of them just operate illegally then act surprised and clueless when they have it explained. :rolleyes:

Well windows arrived last friday and very happy with the colour, pity about some of the quality, the windows in question were sent back and arrived yesterday and all good.

Fitting the bath yesterday and had a thought about bedroom 3 and it hit me I can put a builtin in and a quick cost being max $600 and I figure its MUCH easier to do now before I sheet than later, and I feel would be better to market (from what I have seen in the area) agents agree (most likely don't give a shi$) what I do if it makes thier task easier to sell.

Anyway happy where I am at the moment plaster booked for tuesday week which will make a HUGE difference to the place.

Had a price from plumber and I'm still putting disinfectent on the damaged areas, looks like I will be doing the plumbing (bugger) another two days lost but at least $2500 saved.

The plaster is just over $2000 and will take 3 days for two to finish gotta wonder why $2500 for one plumber for a day is worth that :eek:.

Will take some photo and post when sheeted.

Brian

Well Sheryn rocked on in (from building duplex with husband) and checked the place out with her daughter (nice to meet you both). I'm sure Sheryn will do her own impressions of the place.

At this stage marjority of the sheeting is now installed, Its taking longer than I expected :(, I guess that has something to do with the mind using a 20 year old body mind set when in fact its messing with a 50 odd year old body ands the conflict continues.

I will say teaching my son the art of installing sheeting has also slowed me down but he is starting to catch on and while my stress levels rise on occassion we can return the next day and do it again :D :rolleyes: to work on getting the job done.

The problem is I guess I have to do it right and If there is an issue I find I have to fix but son just says no one will notice, I just say the problem you pass is the standard you set. Do it right now and no stress later :D

Back to my real job for a couple of days BUGGER need to get things moving seem to be getting bogged down in fiddly shi% which always take longer than expected.

Anyway Friday will see me back at the job, hopefully plaster can come next week with the kitchen the week after.

Time is starting to blow out I was looking at 2 months but teaching my son I figured another the month to meet the completion date. I am starting to look at another month damn it.

Funny enough had an agent come in today to see if I wanted to sell, what price are you looking at, response $330.000 :D I said I will consider the amount, but best you come when near completion.

I think the agent is $30.000 out but hey that is still $30.000 above the $270.000 I was putting my figures on. But as they say the place is only worth what someone will pay.

Till next update

Brian

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 120
  • resized-012.JPG
    resized-012.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 124
  • resized-014.JPG
    resized-014.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 128
Good Luck

Renovating can be tough and hard work but very rewarding so good on you for taking up the challenge.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well Sheryn rocked on in (from building duplex with husband) and checked the place out with her daughter (nice to meet you both). I'm sure Sheryn will do her own impressions of the place.

At this stage marjority of the sheeting is now installed...Brian

My first visit to a reno project and I was impressed. Good sized bedrooms, and the lounge area is big. The house is on a good sized block in a quiet area with easy access to main road.

Agree 3rd bedroom needed the cupboard.

Brian you are on a winner, finish and repeat with next reno.

You are trying to teach your son and I am trying to teach my daughter the processes of spotting value and doing a good job.

If you are down our way you can check out our project. :D

Cheers
Sheryn

Thanks for the comments Sheyrn, I feel I have a good project may not reep the huge rewards I see others getting but am happy at this stage.

The place I was talking about around the corner with 2000 sqm of land I will not be taking up. I will say the place is on the market for $570.000 and rent appraisal is $700 a week. Its really a special place as its two buildings joined by and walkway a pity its in the middle of the block.

I have spotted another place and will be looking this Saturday just up my alley needs plenty of work in a good location :D

Well back at it tomorrow :)

Brian

awsome work Brian! Thanks for sharing the progress of your reno. Too bad all the work is happening in QLD, I would love to work for nothing to help out just to learn a thing or two about renovating.

Thanks for dropping by Painter was good to have a chat and thanks for the advise :) will act on them asap.

Anyway a quick update, have all but finished sheeting the place, with only 4 sheets to go plus the villaboard for bathroom and a small section in laundry. Plasterer called me today and said would be there lunch time Tuesday :eek: was supposed to come Wednesday, so have to get butt out of bed early and fit the sheets and do a bit of plumbing.

Also the bath is installed and just put the bed of cement under the bath today and I can now put the insulation around the bath then I can compete the last of the sheeting.

I really wanted Tuesday to clear up all the odd jobs around the place and thus give me a bit of breathing space as well as clean the place out AGAIN, at least this time of tools and off cuts of plaster etc so I have a nice clean site for the plasterer. The plasterers want 3 days to complete the place.

Called kitchen place and I should have kitchen installed next week.

Anyway things are moving alone nicely and I figure another 4 weeks inside will see me complete or very close if I don't get any hold ups.

Here is my burnt room and an updated photo at least a bit better looking.

Brian

Attachments

• resized-IMG_3214.JPG
    resized-IMG_3214.JPG
    91.1 KB · Views: 104
  • resized-IMG_3222.jpg
    resized-IMG_3222.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 110
  • resized-020.JPG
    resized-020.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 114
Back