I love a reno challenge

Brian

The floor is brilliant, I can't believe how much 'life' the polished floorboards add to the rooms.

Good on ya
Sheryn

Looks fantastic mate, you've pretty much nailed it exactly how I'm aiming my place to look, right down to colour choices!

What did you end up doing with the floor in the room that had the fire?

The bedrooms which includes the one that had the fire will be carpeted. I considered polishing but a couple of char marks were a bit deep and would have caused an issue later if sanded out by cupping of the boards.

I am yet to carpet. hopefully order tomorrow.

The colours Ceiling - Antique White USA Quarter, Walls - Hog Bristle - Skirting doors etc White Birch full gloss. White Birch was used to match the new window frames I put in.

The colour does look good but in hindsight not sure about using 3 colours the way I have may have been better Antique White full gloss.

Anyway have found my way clear to do some work tomorrow.

Brian

Well I bit the bullet and decided to put the receipts all together and add them up had a mental note of my costs and I know I had gone over budget (bugger).

I was hoping to stay under $240.000 completed but at this stage I am at 241.068 and have about $4000 to go.

While its not the best outcome for me I took the option to replace the louvers to sliding window, had to replace half the roof, engineer costs, dishwasher, plus a few other bits and peices all added about $10000.00.

But on the positive side, windows made a huge difference (real estate agents agree) added value and from a renters point more secure, roof tiles - no brainer I forgot about heat and water and it cost me, engineer not required but at least I have a peice of paper if I sell at some stage to say its structually sound. The dishwasher wife said put it in as son and girlfriend moving in (my thoughts about whats wrong with washing dishes in the sink fell on deaf ears) Now son not moving in, got a job elsewhere :cool:, I suffer in silence :rolleyes:.

So far I have had 144 days available of which, 56 I worked my normal job, 24 family and contractor delays, 17 days I could only do half days so basically I've only worked 56.5 days with 15 days my son was helping.

Lessons learnt. Need to do more research, More detailed costings, Get contractors quotes and don't rely on past jobs they may have done for you, don't tell contractors you own and IP, get contractors to do more of the jobs gets completed quicker, result less in holding costs. Proberly more lessons I could learn however at the moment thats all I can think of.

Anyway hopefully will be completed by 21st/22nd then two days to sort vehicle and pack the off to Darwin by the 25th earlier if I can finish quicker.

Brian

Well done. I haven't read all the posts as I hsave been busy renovating also.

Ah Hog Bristle. Very popular. When I looked at the photo I thought it looked familiar. I use it in my places too. It's a nice warm neutral colour.

Jut a question? why did you not paint before the kitchen etc went in? We found it much easier. No cutting in or covering stuff.

Also I did all the skirtings before the floor was sanded. Again no need to worry about paint dots.

The biggest thing I find is co-ordinating things and timing. But like you, I have leaned heaps and next time it will be much easier.

The rent seems cheap. Is that normal for that area?

Again, well done. It's very satisfying seeing it finished.

Thanks for the comments Edmond Qantes and Travelbug.

Travelbug -

Painting before the kitchen was not an option I felt at the time and did not bother me that much about painting around the kitchen.

Skirting - a SORE point I had all the skirting in the areas for the floor sanding FINISHED done and they marked all of them :eek: so have to run over them again :(.

Organising is no issue, tradies not turning up is a HUGE ISSUE, no phone calls EVEN worse and its has a rolling effect and something I spat about to a few. I do feel they GOT the message. I guess they thought as they know me no biggie but they know now it was and not going to happen again.

The rent is an interesting thing one agent said I would get $330 a week finished but I still need to clean up the outside etc so figured $300 was fair till this was done and is in keeping with rents in the area.

I am keen to look at another project and I may look at a block of land and just build from new as I have a interesting way to do the construction that may save $$$ so interesting times ahead.

Brian

Skirting - a SORE point I had all the skirting in the areas for the floor sanding FINISHED done and they marked all of them :eek: so have to run over them again :(.

That is annoying. I wasn't sure about the right order but asked the sanding guys and both said they would not hit the skirtings. I was very pleased with the job.

As ours was our first full reno the timing was something that I felt we could have done better. But it was mainly the bathroom which I knew would take a while but I couldn't get hubby to prioritise it. Kitchen was over a week late too. Mad rush at the end to get the kitchen and bathroom finished. We didn't use a lot of tradies so no problems there really. The ones we did use were very good with turning up etc.

wow NBS what a great post! I just finished reading all of them, and really thought when I saw the first photos of the house 'no way is this guy going to do that reno for that price'. So congrats as you are only a bit over budget.

I am going to 'supervise' my first full reno soon but nothing as complex as yours. It is an 80 brick house with lots of arches. I am removing arches, opening up kitchen and lounge area, renovating kitchen, and remodelling the spare bedroom into master bedroom with ensuite and office. The council has approved the changes but am now resubmitting them with plans for a new carport included.

My partner and I did a kitchen reno using Ikea packs from scratch last year and it was fun. I did the design and measurements and purchases and put all the cupboards together and helped with the fitting. Everything worked out(even though it was a 60s unit and the walls were wonky). I wouldn't do it that way again, much easier to get it all fitted timewise too.

Your posts are really inspirational and thanks for posting all those details. I might pm you re tradespeople you might recommend.

Well done again.

I am keen to look at another project and I may look at a block of land and just build from new as I have a interesting way to do the construction that may save $$$ so interesting times ahead.

Brian

Be interested to hear about this as I also am also purchasing land and want to build but am leaving all my options open for what type of construction.

On reflection I should not be to harsh on the traddie not turning up, his missus is not very well and he has to do everything at the moment. I guess its more about a phone call to let me know whats going on as it allows me to organise the other trades. Not knowing causes issues and wasted time.

Even if you think you have all the bases covered theres Murphy's law that has other plans instore :rolleyes:

As for this construction method am keen to look more into it my brother is doing it in Sydney and says it great. Just need to do up some plans and find a block of land to put it on.

Brian

Back