I need a new mattress!! any ideas????

After a week of fighting with the insurance company, we have been allowed to go and find a new mattress as our current one got pretty wet with the storm damage to our house during last weeks storms in Brissy...

SO, i have done the rounds of Forty Winks, Sleepy's, Harvey Norman and various independants...AND AM NOW MORE CONFUSED THAN EVER!!!:eek:

We bought our last one ten years ago. I have no idea how much things in the mattress world have moved in that time - the range and options are amazing!!!:eek:

Does anyone have any idea about all this cr@p??? or how to decipher it??? or more to the point any recommendations???

after spending an average of 30 seconds on about 200 mattresses over the last couple of days - i am well and truly in analysis paralysis!!

HELP!!!
:D

Hi Urban,
Mattress manufacturers love to build sales presentations around a perceived point of difference. In reality the spring systems are not really all that much different. Look for a decent amount of high density foam over the spring unit if you are going for a inner spring type. Sealy make a decent mattress with a high quality spring system.

Personally I would go for a rubber mattress, no springs at all. I currently have a rubber type that has foam sandwiched in layers that is good too. Mine is 15 years old now and still pretty good.

I hope this helps you. (I used to sell them):)

Thanks Giddo...

this has been a source of much frustration for me.

I hadn't decided on a type but if i got the jist of it there are a few now??

normal spring
pocket spring
latex
memory foam

and a thousand combinations of each...

at this stage we think the pocket spring with a decent latex cushion over the top is best for us...though i am partial to the full latex...

the best thing i guess is that given it's an insurance claim we have a fair budget to play with - i love freebies!! hehehehe

thanks for your advice...i will start paying attention to the rubber types like you mention and the amount of foam on spring if we go that way.

cheers
UC

Thanks Giddo...

this has been a source of much frustration for me.

I hadn't decided on a type but if i got the jist of it there are a few now??

normal spring
pocket spring
latex
memory foam

and a thousand combinations of each...

at this stage we think the pocket spring with a decent latex cushion over the top is best for us...though i am partial to the full latex...

the best thing i guess is that given it's an insurance claim we have a fair budget to play with - i love freebies!! hehehehe

thanks for your advice...i will start paying attention to the rubber types like you mention and the amount of foam on spring if we go that way.

cheers
UC

Beware full latex as this tends to be quite hot - we have a combination of pocket springs (best for less partner disturbance), high density foam layer, latex layer and then memory foam on top. The mattress is extremely comfortable however being a king size there is definate hump in the middle where we don't sleep (after three months). I think this is because of the memory foam on the top layer - it does not spring quite back to normal). In a queen size it would not be a problem as you tend to be all over the mattress. Probably pocket springs with latex topper would be ideal as it would be supportive and mould to your body but be cooler than full latex. Good luck, it is a minefield out there!!

Diane

1. Lie on a bunch of mattresses.
2. Pick the one that is most comfortable.
3. Buy said mattress.
4. Take it home.
5. Break it in.

Mark

go to captain snooze and lie on their computer bed thingie ... it will take all your (and your partners) measurements, pressure points, weight, height etc into consideration and then recommend the best bed/s for you.

wow ... even the cheapest of the recommended beds was the most comfortable bed i have ever lain on - purely because it suited my body. i lay there, chatting, for 5 minutes and got up feeling i'd had an hour's nap.

We have also been looking for a mattress so thanks for starting the thread. It is definitely hard to choose. At the moment I am leaning towards a mattress from Mattress from "Mattress Express". the main reason being they have fewer to choose from which makes the process easier. They are also reasonably priced. Has anyone any experience with this company?:confused:

thanks for all the feedback guys - some great advice!!

Mark - love your cynical nature!! but if it was that simple i wouldn't be asking this question - many of the mattresses are comfortable - i can't fingerpoint one that is more comfortable than any other that feels ok.

I wish i could spend more than a few minutes on them...prob still get confused though.

I am leaning towards the pocket spring with multiple layer tops...seems to be popular.

will go and try the computer thingie just to say i've done it!! :p gotta love a good gimmick!

I reckon things must be different for a King Size mattress, as opposed to the smaller sizes, and not in a good way.

We bought a Sealy pillow-top inner spring spoofy, wizbang, makes you dinner type mattress a couple of years ago, after doing that ridiculous computer analysis and trusting the salesperson. Bad move.

We got the guys from Sealy out a while ago to claim under warranty, because the King Sized bed has an awful hump in the middle, which we were told would not occur. Fools we were.

Of course, the mattress and it's hump is considered normal by Sealy and we were told we'd be wasting our time doing anything about it.

The guys were very nice to deal with and on our side, but they also said, don't waste your money on expensive mattresses, it's all hype and BS. They did recommend an average priced Sealy posturepedic for next time.

Boy, did they laugh about that computer take-them-to-the-cleaners crud. :)

We live and learn.

I was suffering from Restless Leg Sydrome and it means turning in bed continually all night. It wasn't happening every night but it was enough to leave me tired and irritable. Anyway, I binned an inner spring pillow top mattress for an imported memory foam mattress. Very costly but has made a massive difference for me. When you consider how long you use the mattress for, I guess the cost is acceptable. I did a lot of research. In Oz we seem to go for metal springs in our mattresses but they don't do that as much in Europe.

Hospitals use a lot of memory foam (to relieve/prevent pressure sores).

Good luck in making the right decision for you.:)

I reckon things must be different for a King Size mattress, as opposed to the smaller sizes, and not in a good way.

We bought a Sealy pillow-top inner spring spoofy, wizbang, makes you dinner type mattress a couple of years ago, after doing that ridiculous computer analysis and trusting the salesperson. Bad move.

We got the guys from Sealy out a while ago to claim under warranty, because the King Sized bed has an awful hump in the middle, which we were told would not occur. Fools we were.

Of course, the mattress and it's hump is considered normal by Sealy and we were told we'd be wasting our time doing anything about it.

The guys were very nice to deal with and on our side, but they also said, don't waste your money on expensive mattresses, it's all hype and BS. They did recommend an average priced Sealy posturepedic for next time.

Boy, did they laugh about that computer take-them-to-the-cleaners crud. :)

We live and learn.

We had exactly the same problem with a king size mattress and the maker gave us a brand new one - alas the same thing has happened again. To help this problem try and sleep in the middle - while my better half was away I did this for five days and the mattress came back to nice and flat again. Good Luck
Diane

I had a waterbed for years and hubby said it was dong his back in so we looked for a new bed. Now this was difficult because I was used to a soft bed that had the temperature I like all the time.
We decided to get a memory foam bed because they are so comfortable.
The more we looked, the more complicated it became
Full memory foam (turns out not good) bed bugs love them because they retain their heat.
memory foam top with- choice of springs, foam, combination inside.
Speak to different places, get different +ives, -ives for each.

The you see 2 beds that look, feel the same but one is twice the price.
We got one with a memory foam top and it is really comfortable. The only thing I hate is it gets hot from your body temp.

I know I'm not helping. Decide your criteria regarding softness, springs etc then just lay on some.
I went to a home centre and just walked from shop to shop. It's easier if there are lots of shops together because you forget what one was like if you go days apart. I actually went from 2 shops and back a few times as there were 2 I liked in the end.
Good luck. Now hopefully I don't have to do that for another 8-10 years.

I've had a full latex mattress and latex pillows for the past 6 years.

The latex is great, and I have not noticed the additional heat mentioned by a previous poster.

The latex mattress sits on an adjustable slat bed and it is damn comfortable. We also have kingsize and do not have the hump in the middle problem, even after 6 years.

I had to get a new latex pillow, as mine had gone a bit flat, after 6 years.
Sure they are more expensive, but their effective life is much much longer

ive tried latex mattresses - i stay at the Grand Hyatt in Hong Kong for up to a month a year, they have king size latex matresses....
... being a 6'2", 90kg lump makes Latex uncomfortable for me. I just sink into it and feel like i am forever holding myself up. I just feel like my sleep is disturbed, and it takes me too long to go to sleep, cos i have that sinking feeling.

At home we have a king size, sealy posturpedic pillow top matress on a solid base bed.
It is awesome.
I rate it, highly.

Hey Witzi,

Is that the hotel in the Wanch.........if so - I've stayed there often as well, it's a nice hotel with great views.

I am also a similar size to you and know what you mean. We have a HARD latex bed at home, so you don't get the sinking feeling. Plus you can adjust the slats to make it firmer or softer.

Design Mobel are the manufacturers of our bed, Snooze sell them, so I'd highly recommend.

Obviously beds are a very very personal choice, but if I could say one thing.........get a king size

yeah its the one in Wanchai.

Sounds like you are on a winner with the hard latex matress... ive never had a go of a "hard" one - only the ones in hotels and at our family's house when we house sit. Waaay too sinky.

I'd also recommend a King size. There is a huge difference - you actually get space to sleep next to each other and not wake each other up when one rolls over.

I'd also recommend a King size. There is a huge difference - you actually get space to sleep next to each other and not wake each other up when one rolls over.

That's until 2 small children seem to worm their way in...:(:eek:...I have a queen size, and 2 small children...if only the room was big enough for a king...

Back