I need computer help please

Thanks Strannik but I've already got Trend Micro and it doesn't expire until 2011 so not keen to replace it right now. Plus I bought the Trend Micro because I felt AVG wasn't working for me so I uninstalled it. The laptop is 4 years old now and was getting very slow and freezing up. It wasn't anything in particular that fixed the freezing. Just a combination that made it better.

I will be more careful opening email though.

Thanks for your all your great help somersoft computer boffs :)

Just stick to your operating system of choice. All systems are vulnerable, it's just that Mac is less popular (not saying that it's bad - I love it).

- Use a proper password (upper case, special characters, etc)
- Try not to use internet cafes or public sites. it's so easy to install a key logger.
- change it frequently.

I havent used anti virus software for years i think its a waste of time system resources and money if you actually pay for it. Not very good advice I know just saying what I do.

My four year old laptop is now functioning quite well and I've had no more visits from the Beijing spammer.

My email doesn't seem to be compromised any more and I'm not sure which particular action achieved that. I think it might have been a bit of everything, thanks for all your input! :)

I religiously shut the laptop down every night and the password change is happening every few days. Also, I've unchecked the 'remember me' box when I log in (which is the same as I do on my work computer). I'm still not game to keep a contacts list outside of family members though.

A bonus is that I seem to have stopped the 'hung app' problem too by uninstalling or deleting anything and everything with the word 'chrome' ! :D

Lets see if I can get another year out of this baby.

Back