I need some job/career/life advice

Winston, I don’t think anyone is suggesting that “following your passion” equals guaranteed success.. and I have my theories on why sport stars and actors fail but don’t think it’s off topic…

The bike store owner and actor maybe bitter about their salary, but who’s to say it’s worse than the bitterness/resentment/regret they would have from not giving it a go? In the case of the farmer and self employee failed, I think it’s more likely they had the wrong business model rather than their amount of “passion following”. When I read that 8 in 10 small businesses fail in the first 3 years I’m inclined to think that the problem is a little more complex..

Winston, I don’t think anyone is suggesting that “following your passion” equals guaranteed success..

No...they are saying "follow your passion and the money follows."

In the broader world, outside the selective memory of the self help and motivation industry, this is just not the case for the majority.

Money flows to those who provide goods and services desired by others, with a competitive advantage.

In my experience, passion without the guidance of wisdom and love for the betterment of others, will not attract the money of others. This is why so many sports people fail to have financial success. Their passion is for a pursuit that brings great personal joy, but has little impact on others .

But having passion and love for others doesn't necessarily attract money either. Nurses and personal carers I have met were passionate when they started out, but many are jaded and burnt out within 10 years, due to low pay for that type of work.

Only when one prioritizes wisdom (intelligence and education) and a love of others (ethics, empathy, genuine desire for the betterment of others) will one develop a passion that will more likely attract the money of others.

Focus on acquiring the love and the wisdom, and the passion and money will flow.

I'm 51 and imho, 44 isn't the time to be starting from scratch.
If you've not had the self motivation to leap forwards before now, then it is most likely if you launch out now in some new direction, you will eventually find excuses not to persist.....like I am too tired, my son needs me.

My dad started his first business at 51. It was based on what he had been doing but in a slightly different field - quantity surveyor to building arbitrator. We had a tough few years as he was getting established but he is now 70 and the charman of the Guild of arbitrators or whatever it is called and is having a ball. He works from home and mum is his PA (I am sure that is only to give her something to do and stop her bugging him) and can take 2-3 months off at a time if he wants to. Becoming an architect woudl give you that freedom and if, like my Dad, you dont think of it as work but as somethign you enjoy that pays the bills, you will keep going for years. Also having your own business will enable you to work as much or as little as you like. Dont let anyone stop you - get the qauls part time, build up the contacts and then go for it.

I put such matters into "life perspective" .... I.e. will I regret this decision at age 70....

$$$ don't buy happiness, life is not just about material wealth, you are only too old if you think you are, learning & self-development are a lifelong journey... :D

Lastly, I ask myself: "Where do you see yourself in 5-10 yrs and is this decision part of that future?"

One question seems to answer the other, in my experience. Actually, this has led me down the path of commencing full time study again at age 37 :D

Great post, Winston. So true! Most of us would love to follow our creative passions and make money from it but sometimes it takes just a little planning and back up money before you can take the plunge!

Hi bespoke,

Perhaps start some architectural jobs on the side whilst you're still working. If you have a lot of spare time at work maybe you could work out how to brush up on your skills and build a client base during your work hours :D

You should go for it if it's what you want to do. If you stay in your current job you may regret not taking a chance in the future and your husband sounds like he is supportive of your decision.

Good luck!

Yes, good post WinstonW

Recently, I attended a Seminar by Dr John DeMartini and he spoke about similar things..love of wisdom and wisdom of love etc...

For me I channel my energies to lot of other things besides my boring IT work with the Public Hospital..so after 5pm i wear a hat of running a network marketing Business with my wife, writing an e-book and learning to Investing and plan my next mini-vacation.

I had to get over the fact that my job as a problem and look it as a opportunity ! :)
Also reading about Edward DeBono & Creative/ Mind Mapping helped!

Cheers

The "follow your passion" thing is a quaint feel good.

After working with the downside of life more than most, I've seen the majority of wannabe professional athletes follow their passion, and fail. Name your sport - golf, football, soccer, ballet, skiiing, surfing.....most don't succeed at making a living.

And I've seen the same with actors and actresses. One of my best Aussie mates from my youth, who is now in his mid 50s, has been an actor in Hollywood for 15 years. He tells me he is living his dream.....but deep down he is bitter, especially about money matters. Why? because his work is erratic and poorly paid, and he can't live the material life he thought would accompany his dream. Rather than living the dream, his spare time is taken up as an activist for an actors' union, agitating for better conditions.

they don't work because there's too much competition out there for jobs to do with that passion - i know a bazillion good golfers and all would give up the desk job tomorrow to become a pro. therefore - with that many people wanting to do it, it's not going to pay too well, is it?

some people enjoy renovating - they can pursue it and make good coin because it's not on most people's bucket list, therefore the competition is lower and the rewards are higher.

same with the share market.

same with running a business.

same with property developing.

so there's plenty of ways to pursue a passion for a job, just make sure that the one passion of the thousands you could pick is one that is not a common topic at bbq's or dinner parties.

..love of wisdom and wisdom of love etc...

That's a nice phrase K. I have always felt that wisdom is the application of intelligence guided by love.

I quested for meaning from a young age and read many of the earlier motivational speakers and writers, as well as comparative religion and philosophy, and had the de rigeur trip to the Himalayas and various ashrams. And I've had my beliefs challenged more than most.

I haven't meant to be negative above per se. I just want to make the point that passion is force, without conscience. The motive and quality of the consciousness that steers passion, determines success.

just make sure that the one passion of the thousands you could pick is one that is not a common topic at bbq's or dinner parties.

there's a lot of truth in that Aaron. If one gains more happiness from benefiting others, than playing golf, then one is more likely to develop passion for something that others appreciate, and pay dollars for.

I think a free market economy runs best when individuals care enough about others to invest their life energy towards providing goods and services of high value to others. Implicit in that is recognizing that some goods and services are oversupplied. Our care for others should then motivate us to seek out what is undersupplied or could be done better.

quotes

1. The only person who's going to change your future is you

2. A 100 year old woman, when she was interviewed on radio, was asked if she had any regrets. ' If I'd known I'd live to be 100' she replied ' I'd have taken up the violin at 40. By now I could have been playing for 60 years!'

annE:):):)

Focus on acquiring the love and the wisdom, and the passion and money will flow.
I don’t mean to sound like a downer and a cynic but I don’t agree with this at all.. the evidence is all around us in this capitalistic world.. I find that we are paying more and getting less and less for our money e.g. food, electronic equipment etc. Sure there are nice guys like Bill Gates who donate billions, but the way he’s made his money by selling a product that continually needs upgrading.. I don’t feel the love there.

It really couldn’t be further from the truth where I am at the moment, and recent trip to the Ukraine. So many people who are rich in love but don’t have 2c to rub together. Corruption here is just a way of life where people make their riches without consequence (in this lifetime ;)).

I tend to agree (but not necessarily follow) with what Gordon Gecko says, “Greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Greed is right, greed works”. Indeed it does work.

Love isn’t really a part of property investing either.. I don’t think investors are subsidising the cost of living in a nice house for renters out of love. It’s also a pretty common theme on this forum that everything is all strictly business and there is a zero tolerance attitude for tenants. Yet it seems to be good business ;)

Love isn’t really a part of property investing either.. I don’t think investors are subsidising the cost of living in a nice house for renters out of love. It’s also a pretty common theme on this forum that everything is all strictly business and there is a zero tolerance attitude for tenants. Yet it seems to be good business ;)

I understand what you are saying. Love is a scarey single dimensional extreme emotion to be throwing around amongst people focused on feathering their nest.

However, in my view there's two attitudes you can have towards people. You either tend towards liking people, or hating them.
Rarely will you sit square bang in the middle regarding others.

Sustained success in business tips in the favor of those who service their client's needs better. There's more examples of companies that go bust or lose market share once they reduce concern about client needs.
In fact, many consumers pay a premium to be treated better.

To understand how to treat a customer well, you must have a general love of humanity and empathy for the suffering of others.

Regarding Microsoft, will they even be around in 20 years? Compare MSFT to GOOG and APPL over the last 5 years. MSFT has gone no where. Goog is up about 450%. Apple 1500%. Microsoft have got lazy, fat, mean, and arrogant. They are no longer an innovator with their clients' best interest first. What is happening at MSFT is the perfect example of a company that cares less about clients now than it did originally.

As for Eastern Europe, if I lived there, and cared enough about my fellow man, I'd be fighting for their rights, democracy, and a just nation, and not letting corrupt bullies exploit and steal. Too often people think passivity and a sweet smile is a more loving life philosophy. I don't agree. More often than not, for evil to succeed, good men must do nothing.

Great post, Winston. So true! Most of us would love to follow our creative passions and make money from it but sometimes it takes just a little planning and back up money before you can take the plunge!

Absolutely....don't leap off without a safety tether attached....Banks have big teeth waiting down the bottom of the cliff.

I'll also add my thanks to WW's posts. Top stuff Winnie.

My mate and I took different paths from school. He followed his passion and studied for 5 painful years at UWA to be an architect. Graduated top of his class with all that Cum Laude Uni stuff. Top flight architectural firm selects him and he starts with them. In the office by 6:30am. They'd let him go at about 8:00pm....but he certainly wasn't the first there or the last to leave. He made 28K the first year. The second year, with a heavier workload and bigger clients to attend to, he made 33K. He then quit and never went back. I think that is close to the mark.....he's part of this forum so can chip in with the real story if he likes. Is a keen property investor now, lives and breathes the stuff....and with his wife is making a great fist of things to break the shackles of the rat race.

I took the other route and bummed around for a few years, completely passionless. Did a 4 yr Engineering degree which bored me stupid. Got a job out in the desert, boiling hot, isolated, up all hours, never saw my wife and young family, money being the only thing keeping us going. Then traded that life for one out in the middle of the ocean covered in crap all the time. Traded that life for living out in the 3rd world desert and caves with the Bedouins up in the rocky steppes of Yemeni.....great fun with wife and kids back in 1st world Perth. Cash was the only thing.

Most of my colleagues, who were 30 years my senior, had been living that ex-pat life for over 40 years and didn't have two brass razoos to rub together. I learnt their mistake without having to repeat it.

Property investing has now slotted into that passion fulfilling that I have been looking for, for over 20 years now. I now earn over 10 times the amount I used to working, all for just sitting on my *** talking **** on this forum.

Moral of the story - keep talking **** for long enough and the money will flow !!! :D

Thanks for sharing that Dazz, i think one of the imp things.. it seems you were able to do is to balance time with family & making money.

I have seen quite a few folks with gobs of $ but did not invest any time in relationships/family and are now very lonely..

I think if one follows his/her passion and also happens to provide enuf value to society/people for which you get compensated financially then it can become fulfilling..

If you are not getting paid to do what you love then it would not be wise to make it primary source of $ imho...

allright back to work..:)

Wow....again I must agree......

I see plenty of people who earn 250-500k....but they slaves to their jobs. They are in the office by 7:30am and leave around 7-8pm. And most weekends they do some work from home.

The funniest thing I see is some people climbing that corporate ladder thinking they will have more time...usually it ends up being the opposite.

I also see plenty of people in their 50s who own a $1m house in a nice suburb with about 50% paid off and little super....and still tied to their jobs.

The exact reason why I got into property....to get away from all this...

Most of my colleagues, who were 30 years my senior, had been living that ex-pat life for over 40 years and didn't have two brass razoos to rub together. I learnt their mistake without having to repeat it.

Property investing has now slotted into that passion fulfilling that I have been looking for, for over 20 years now. I now earn over 10 times the amount I used to working, all for just sitting on my *** talking **** on this forum.

Moral of the story - keep talking **** for long enough and the money will flow !!! :D

Back