I stuffed up the offer

Its been a couple of years since I placed my last offer and I am a little/lot rusty..no excuses I stuffed up my offer.

In WA you have to make the offer formally and I put in a price that I felt the property was worth 7% less than the asking..Told the agent this was the first and final offer and thats it.

So in the contract I DIDNT put a time condition eg: this offer will be declared void if vendor does not accept by ...

the agent has not put in dates but rather this: "finance clause: 21 days from acceptance" settlement date: "21 days from finance approval"...
so the agent said that the owner wont accept this offer, dont stress if we dont hear from him he will send a letter via email to confirm the offer has not been accepted..did not say when..

UMMM...so because I didnt put a time constraint or dates for finance and settlement he could get back to me in 6 months 1 year ect ect and say yes the owner has accepted the offer. This also means I cant put offers on other property's until I get confirmation of acceptance or not from this offer...aaaahhh:mad::mad::mad: In WA if the vendor accepts the contract is binding no cooling off...

so rather than telling me what an idiot I am (i know) has anyone got any ideas how I can force an answer either way or...could I say I want to increase my offer amend the contract with increased price AND a time constraint..new offer $50/100 dollars more??

Not that I know WA contracts but in Victoria an offer is only valid for 3 clear business days, unless otherwise stated.

For Vic contracts it is on the first page between the purchaser & vendor signing with the words

'This offer will lapse unless accepted within [ ] clear business days (3 clear business days if none is specified)'

But you can withdraw you offer anytime up until the vendor signs the offer which would become the contract where you would need to cool off.

Last edited:
You can easily withdraw it. Let it go for 7 days or however long you want to then withdraw it.

It's not common in WA to put a time limit on them.

have done this in 2 stages before. Works well in negotiations if you have made an offer, left it a few days, then say if you want offer to expire 5pm Friday you contact them late Wed or on Thursday in writing and imply you are looking at something else (creates risk of losing you and/or scarcity of buyers in their mind) - saying "to allow for purchase of another property" or similar, "our offer expires at cob Friday". Gives owner around 24 hrs to really consider (after already having had the offer for a few days) whether they want to take your money or not.

Back