"I want both, but I don't think I can."

W

WebBoard

THE BACKGROUND:

We recently purchased a block of flats with 6 other investors. On several advisor's advice we formed a company to purchase the property. Purchase price was $460K. Total borrowings were $368K. Council has indicated that it has no objections to subdividing the back half of the block (approx $200K profit on the subdivision).

As this is a new company with no trading history we have had to offer personal guarantees in order to secure the loan.

The guarantee holds us each liable for the full amount of the loan. The aim was (and still is) to get the guarantee removed once the subdivision has taken place and the company has a successful trading record. This guarantee means that I now have a $368K increase in liabilities instead of a $52K increase.

THE PROBLEM

This wouldn't be a problem if I wasn't wanting to buy property before the guarantees are removed...which I wasn't planning on doing. But the neighbour of one of my properties recently asked me if I would like to buy their place. This would be a great buy for us, but my bank won't look at me because of the guarantee.

I am looking to secure the new property against an existing property with a mortgage through CBA. Bank valuation has come back with more than enough equity for a 80/20 split on both. It was after the credit check that they queried the guarantee.

SOLUTIONS THAT I'VE THOUGHT OF

1. Buy the new property in my wife's name.....but....she's on maternity leave and only gets about $12K net in non-salary income (rents and dividends) and already has some debt ($100K approx). The bank did not like this option.

By the way, it sucks that they won't take her wage into account while on maternity leave (maybe we have a discrimination case!)

2. Omit telling the bank that I'm a director of the Investment company and don't tell them about the guarantee...not my cup of tea...and they'll find out anyway when the do a credit check.

3. I have tried telling the bank about the agreement that the 7 directors have which stipulates that we are each liable for only 1/7th of the total debt....bank said that this agreement meant nothing to them.

4. I've tried telling the bank about the flats that we bought.....cash positive, situated in Newfarm (1 km from the CBD in Brisbane), purchased for the Unimproved Land Value (UCV), approval in principal to subdivide...they didn't want to know about it, all they were interested in was the $368K debt.

5. Try a different bank...this is an option. I have suggested to CBA that I will walk. They pointed out the break fees ($1800) that I will incur and the set up fees that I will incur with the new lender. This is perhaps my best option...a couple of thousand $$'s is not a lot, in the scheme of things...but is still hurts! Besides, I'm just going to encounter the same problem again if I have to do it again with another bank.

6. My other option is to sell my shares in the investment company. We have had a number of people wanting in, so I know there is a market out there for them, but it is a great opportunity that I don't want to pass up. On balance the neighbours property is probably the best deal though...BUT I WANT BOTH!

THE QUESTION

Has anyone had any experience with company guarantees and getting around them?

Does anyone have any other possible solutions that may allow me to keep an interest in the flats as well as purchase the neighbour's house?

Thanks

Scott

Last edited by a moderator:
Reply: 1

Nice one Scott

Try a no docs loan at 80 % LVR, around the 8 % mark, but if its a good buy at 7 % it would have to be a good buy at 8 %. Pull the 20 % equity from your home via CAB loan. If they wont do this then go and speak to an independent mortgage broker. CBA are good but quite tight and conservative.

Any lender of the normal type will do a directors search and there you shall be.

I love the concept of joint and severally liable for the lot, but well only assess your share of the income.

Ta

Rolf
Rolf

Reply: 2

Hi Scott,
I suggest that you somehow try to buy the property from your neighbor without applying for a loan just yet. Maybe offer your neighbor some cash & get him to sign a "OPTION to BUY" agreement. When the company guarantee has been removed, then apply for the loan & follow through with the purchase of the property.

Regards Tony

Reply: 2.1

Scott,

Maybe you can try the lease option.

You rent before you buy and any extra cash you put towards that rent would go towards the initial deposit. When you have enough deposit/equities accumulated (let say in 2 years time) apply for the loan. While you are renting you also can sub-rent (sublease) that property to someone else during 2-year period. It does not have to be 2-year period; it can be 5, 10, 20…

Obviously it has to be agreed with your neighbour and properly documented.

Regards
Serge G.

Reply: 2.1.1

Thanks guys for your thoughts.

The proposed purchase of our neighbour's house fell in a heap after they spoke to an agent. Their asking price has jumped from $120K to $235K as a result.

While missing out on this opportunity gets up my nose a little, I'll be extremely happy if he does get something close to his $235K asking price. Our house next door was purchased for $120K in Feb...if he gets $235K (or something similar), that will value our place at something similar. Got to be happy with that!

I tell you, Brisbane prices are going off!

Thanks again.

Scott.

P.S. For the record, a no-docs loan was the direction I was headed.

Reply: 2.1.1.1

So of course as soon the next door sale goes through you'll get your place revalued and increase your loan limit, right?

That way you've got equity to draw down as soon as you see a good deal. Plus if the market has peaked you'll look like a master of the universe for impeccable timing.

If you don't have anything to buy right now still get the increased limit. Best time to ask a bank for money is when you don't need it.

Dreamspinner

Reply: 2.1.1.1.1

Hiya Paul

Am man with a vision !

Do you think that the banks will really give you an umbrella until it rains, and then take it back, boy oh boy are you cynical. Obviously the A>B swith is on reality :eek:)

Rolf

Back