I want this house!!!

I know this house (near where we used to live) and I knew the family as our kids went through preschool together and were in the same class in school. The owner worked for the architect and was one of many who were interviewed as to her plans for the "renovation". Everybody else wanted to do major things to change the look and this family wanted to keep it pretty much looking like a water tower. She told me at the time that the council liked the idea of their plan and they got to buy it.

This is a couple of streets from where we lived at the time, and when they bought it, they allowed us to wander through it. The walls are very thick at the bottom and it was absolutely HUGE. There was a very long ladder to the roof. I got about 20 rungs up before my fear of heights kicked in. Hubby and kids climbed onto the roof.

I remember the noise as they cut the windows through the thick walls.

I do know that pilots use it to line up for landing at the airport :D.

One of the daughters was in my son's class. When it was renovated, they held an open day for the whole school. I was on tuckshop and didn't get there.

There's a similar conversion taking place to an old reservoir in Bathurst. Not sure how far they are, but next time I head that way I'll get some snaps.

A few of the windows appear to have no glass. Google street view seems to confirm this. The roof also seems to double as the ceiling, with no insulation.

Would this be a microwave in summer and a freezer in winter?

The real estate pics make it look really nice, but in St view it looks much uglier.

It's a huge piece of land for the area. Would you be able to knock it down and build something more grand?

Having said all that I love unique, interesting and eccentric houses.

What will it go for? If you have a few parties who want something like this then it's likely to sell high. If no one turns up on the day it's likely to be past in on a low bid.

A few of the windows appear to have no glass. Google street view seems to confirm this. The roof also seems to double as the ceiling, with no insulation.

The windows without views are the outlook from the "internal deck". The insides are boxes around the exterior wall so I guess the rooms are air-conditioned. I've not been in it since it was just a huge empty concrete bunker as I missed the open day after it was all finished.

It's a huge piece of land for the area. Would you be able to knock it down and build something more grand?

I would think it has some sort of listing over it so it could not be knocked down, but don't know. I do know that of the "applicants" the family who got it did so because they didn't plan to change the external look of it, but now that they own it, I don't know if those "rules" or "conditions" go with the house or not. The walls at the base are over a metre thick. I'd hate to have to knock it down even with the right equipment :D

What will it go for? If you have a few parties who want something like this then it's likely to sell high. If no one turns up on the day it's likely to be past in on a low bid.

I know they paid very little for it at the time, compared to the neighbouring houses.

Back