'I wouldn't advise anyone to buy in Sydney' Ron Allen, Fairfield West Caravan Park

Ron has some advice for real Estate Investors

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national...its-a-happy-lot/2008/06/02/1212258741724.html

Sunanda Creagh Urban Affairs Reporter

June 3, 2008

RON ALLEN isn't worried about mortgage repayments, interest rate rises or a rental crisis.

The former engineer, 69, is among the growing number of Australians who have given up on the dream of owning a house, opting instead for life in a caravan park.

"Me and the wife have been here 12 years," he says of his home at Fairfield West Caravan Park. "We were looking all around to buy but we never quite got the money for the deposit together. So we just looked in the paper and saw this place.

"I wouldn't even attempt to buy now and I wouldn't advise anyone to buy in Sydney, not in today's situation."

A report by St Vincent de Paul Society NSW, released yesterday, showed the housing affordability problem is pushing more people into caravan parks, where demand is outstripping supply. Site fees are rising and more caravan parks are being converted into luxury waterfront tourist destinations.

"Vinnie's volunteers told terrible stories of marginalised residents struggling to exist in caravan parks," said the report's author, Dr Andy Marks. "One volunteer related the account of a woman who came to a park to escape a violent relationship. Battling depression and schizophrenia, she was unable to cover basic living costs so resorted to prostitution within the park simply to survive."

Dianne Simek, from the Monaro Crisis Accommodation service, said the ski season was pushing more people out of caravan parks in southern NSW but emergency housing services were already overwhelmed.

Andrew Daff, manager of the Lane Cove River Tourist Park, said campers routinely pleaded to be allowed to stay past the 28-day limit on his tourist campsites.

"The reason they are asking is simply because the rental prices in the North Shore are exceeding incomes of many people who are working here. Generally, it's labourers, hospitality workers, people in lower paid industries who are really finding it hard."

Scott White, a 36-year-old resident at Fairfield West Caravan Park, said he was happy in his caravan. "The downside is people think you are trailer trash but I'm over it. I am very comfortable where I am and I know all my neighbours."

Yet more evidence of the great divide, or the tale of two cities...

I think the coming real estate revolution will unfortunately further entrench this divide. Very soon there really will be a landed gentry wealthy class, and a peasant poor class who can't bridge the gap. We're at a point in Australia's history where people will look back at the great class divide and say "that's when it all began, that's when property became out of rich for all but the fortunate few".

The great Australian dream will remain just that for many Australians. We've had a fortunate history during which it has been possible for the majority to realise this dream. That is about to change IMHO. I intend to ensure that I profit from this social divide's onset even if I don't like the societal ramifications of it.

Cheers,
Michael.

"."

"who are really finding it hard."

Scott White, a 36-year-old resident at Fairfield West Caravan Park, said he was happy in his caravan. "The downside is people think you are trailer trash but I'm over it. I am very comfortable where I am and I know all my neighbours."

Everybody in this country has a choice,and i do pity those that are in that
situation but they can always go West for a few years and work instead of telling everyone how bad their life is..willair..

90,000 more miners needed by 2020
The mining industry needs another 90,000 workers in the next 12 years. (ABC: Diane Bain)

The Minerals Council of Australia says skilled migration and better training programs are needed to ensure the sector can meet growing demand.
A study commissioned by the Council shows another 90,000 workers will be needed in the mining industry by 2020, an increase of 70 per cent on the current workforce.
CEO Mitch Hooke says the sector needs to service the long-term demand for Australian resources.
"We see skilled migration as an acute response to a chronic problem," he said.
"By that I mean, this is the way in which we can fill the gaps up front, but if you're going to have something that's sustainable long term, you need to correct the systemic problems you've got in the current education and training system.
"We spend three times more than any other sector in the country on training but mostly it's in-house because the systems that support our industry just are not there.
"We need reform of the VET [Vocational Education and Training] sector, it's got to respond to the needs of industry, not just have a supply push of institutions putting out people that they actually think suits their whole itinerary."http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/06/03/2263511.htm

Interesting Post -

If you want to be a millionaire, do what millionaires have done and listen to what millionaires have to say, instead of listen to advise from a caravan park. :p

"Me and the wife have been here 12 years," he says of his home at Fairfield West Caravan Park. "We were looking all around to buy but we never quite got the money for the deposit together. So we just looked in the paper and saw this place."

wow.

what can i say...?

if that's the extent of your DD then you probably shouldn't be living anywhere BUT a caravan park.

they never "quite" got the money together for a deposit...lets see what car they drive. my car is a HUGE sap out of my income and if it were gone i could afford another 2 IPs.

Everybody in this country has a choice,and i do pity those that are in that situation

But do they need pity? The guy says he's happy. That's better than some home owners I know..... maybe we envy those that can be happy with less :)

Cheers,

The Y-man

Everybody in this country has a choice,and i do pity those that are in that
situation but they can always go West for a few years and work instead of telling everyone how bad their life is..willair..

90,000 more miners needed by 2020
The mining industry needs another 90,000 workers in the next 12 years. (ABC: Diane Bain)

The Minerals Council of Australia says skilled migration and better training programs are needed to ensure the sector can meet growing demand.
A study commissioned by the Council shows another 90,000 workers will be needed in the mining industry by 2020, an increase of 70 per cent on the current workforce.
CEO Mitch Hooke says the sector needs to service the long-term demand for Australian resources.
"We see skilled migration as an acute response to a chronic problem," he said.
"By that I mean, this is the way in which we can fill the gaps up front, but if you're going to have something that's sustainable long term, you need to correct the systemic problems you've got in the current education and training system.
"We spend three times more than any other sector in the country on training but mostly it's in-house because the systems that support our industry just are not there.
"We need reform of the VET [Vocational Education and Training] sector, it's got to respond to the needs of industry, not just have a supply push of institutions putting out people that they actually think suits their whole itinerary."http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/06/03/2263511.htm

Touche' and they would probably work hard for the money ..... the calibre of people we get for well in excess of $120,000 for a cleaner and $130,000 for a trade assistant is gobsmacking.....

I still can't fathom why people aren't falling over themselves to get money like that .... especially to fuel their property portfolios :D

Touche' and they would probably work hard for the money ..... the calibre of people we get for well in excess of $120,000 for a cleaner and $130,000 for a trade assistant is gobsmacking.....

I still can't fathom why people aren't falling over themselves to get money like that .... especially to fuel their property portfolios :D
Simple really, I earn > $200K for a 9-5 job at a desk within half an hours drive from home on the beach in Sydney. Why would I up sticks and head to the bush for a pay cut? :rolleyes: ;)

Ciao,
Michael.

Simple really, I earn > $200K for a 9-5 job at a desk within half an hours drive from home on the beach in Sydney. Why would I up sticks and head to the bush for a pay cut? :rolleyes: ;)

Ciao,
Michael.

Yes but your not the type to live in a caravan park sucking on pork rine and complaining about life :D

The mines is very tempting for me as I'm working 70hrs pw and barely getting half that wage. Although from what I have been told its near on impossible to get in without any qualifications unless you know someone already out there?

Yet more evidence of the great divide, or the tale of two cities...

I think the coming real estate revolution will unfortunately further entrench this divide. Very soon there really will be a landed gentry wealthy class, and a peasant poor class who can't bridge the gap. We're at a point in Australia's history where people will look back at the great class divide and say "that's when it all began, that's when property became out of rich for all but the fortunate few".

The great Australian dream will remain just that for many Australians. We've had a fortunate history during which it has been possible for the majority to realise this dream. That is about to change IMHO. I intend to ensure that I profit from this social divide's onset even if I don't like the societal ramifications of it.

Cheers,
Michael.

Michael, I have thought this too. I really believe that we will only have an upper class and lower class. The middle class is about to take the test.

Jo

Michael,

I don't think they have air conditioned office blocks in the mines mate.:D

Ciao,
Michael.

The mines is very tempting for me as I'm working 70hrs pw and barely getting half that wage. Although from what I have been told its near on impossible to get in without any qualifications unless you know someone already out there?

there we go again - people listening to people who listen to people who haven't been there.

mate - most minesites require a current driver's license, maybe a riggers or a single axle heavy vehicle license. certainly VERY easy to get even if you DO work 70+hrs a week.

qualified is preferred and WILL get preferential treatment - but beggars can;t be choosers.

they also require a clean tox screen test (so no flippers or pot at least 6 weeks before you are due for a test). this is most people's prob - they fail the tox screen or fail a spot test. steer clear of poppy seed bread and muffins.

and i don't know ANYONE on land earning $120k as a cleaner. a base mine site wage is $68-75k.

on a rig in the gulf? yes. out the back of nowhere on a 6-1 roster? maybe. in port hedland on a 2-1 FIFO? hell no.

Back