Ideas for Childrens Financial Education please!

We've a 5yo who is currently in kindergarten and she's now started some school banking with her Commonwealth Bank Dollarmite Account.

It's got us thinking about what sorts of things we can do to give her a good financial education from an early age. I'm not talking about forcing a ridiculous $$$$ doctrine down her throat at an early age. I'm taking about incorporating a sensible financial education into a balanced life for a young child, when she's ready, to give her a good start in later life.

I'd be fascinated to hear the success stories of what your parents did for you and what your doing for your own children.

I guess many of us look back and think, if only we'd learnt and took action about budgeting, compound interest, saving and investment when we were 18 or 20. But what if we'd actually started to regularly save and invest when we were five? Hee heee.......compound interest can be a wonderful thing to a 20yo wanting to buy their first investment property if good habits had begun 15 years before. :D

I'm trying to think of ideas that would go beyond just putting a few dollars a week into a Dollarmite Account.

I think I remember reading something, years ago, about a story that was on A Current Affair(or one of those....) that looked at some interesting appoaches. I may be wrong, but I think Steve Navra may have even been involved? If you were Steve, perhaps you could add your thoughts to this topic and improve on my rather vague recollection of the details and outcomes of the story?

My rough recollection of one approach was instead of giving your child, say $20pw pocket money, you now give them $100pw. You can imagine the initial reaction of most teenagers! "Son......I'd like to give you an extra $80pw pocket money. Is that ok with you?" :D BUT.....this is done with a few conditions!!

Firstly, they must save a certain percentage of the $100. Let's say for now 20%.

Secondly, they now become responsible for paying(out of their $100) some of their own 'running costs'.

So it's not really a matter of you suddenly having to find extra $$$'s, but rather its a matter of making the child more aware and responsible.

While we've only been thinking about this for a couple of days, we've started off a similar trial.

My daughters major 'expenses' at the moment are a 30 cents ice block at school each day if she eats her lunch. Ahhh....don't you wish that was your only expense? :D :D

We've initially decided to trial a $10pw pocket allowance whereby she must save $5pw in her Dollarmite account and she can decide how she spends the remaining $5pw. However, she's also now resposible for paying for her 5 x 30 cents iceblocks out of the $5. :)

So far, she's taken to it like a duck to water and has even asked really good questions like "What if I spend it all before Friday?" and "Do I get to keep what I don't spend?".

Hey.......maybe she's too young and we'll try something like this when she's older. But at this stage, we'll monitor things and see how she goes. Kids always seem to be capable of learning more than we give them credit for. NB. There's also a box of 'Cashflow for Kids' put away in the cupboard for when she gets older.......although at this rate she'll probably thrash me in no time!

Ok........so what sorts of things may she learn?

She now knows what a bank is. She knows how to complete a deposit slip. Soon she'll experience 'interest' and eventually compound interest. She grows up with an initial introduction to investing/saving a certain percentage of what she makes. She becomes responsible for certain financial decisions early on in life etc etc.

Where to in a few years when some dollars have been saved in the Dollarmite Account?

Maybe she can buy a few shares and learn something about companies, capital growth, dividends, alternative investments etc.

And lets not forget charity. At this stage she sponsors a World Vision Child in her name but maybe in a few years time she can be directly responsible for paying for the first month's contribution or the like.

And maybe, just maybe, when she's somewhat older...... but many, many years younger than I was....... she'll have enough to buy her first investment property and also learn about rents, property investment along with some charitable donations.

But back to my original question.

What were some of the better methodologies you were exposed to as a child(if any) and what has worked with your own kids?

:)

Hi Alan

A great question!!

We have always focused on allowing the kids to see what we're doing and to listen to us discuss the deals that we are doing. It means that they have come house shopping with us from time to time; witnessed forms being signed and deals analysed and discusssed.

They also see and hear the tapes & videos that we bring home from time to time.

They know that i watch the share market and we taught them some very basic rules about what to buy and how to go about the sharemarket in a safe and fun environment. (Well, it was until James beat us all at this game.... :rolleyes: )

We also did something similar to you in that they got a small (OK, OK, very small) weekly allowance and were asked to save part of every dollar they received from us or from someone else as a present or something.

Most of all though, we did not focus on their learning and instead allowed them to naturally see what we do.

Does it work? Who knows!!

We have three children - one is financially very bright and responsible (I have to say that, he reads this forum, after all ;) ) and we have no doubt that he'll be very well off in times to come.

One fights her knowledge as it is not cool to be seen to listen or understand, let alone practice what she knows. I have faith in her though as she has raw strength and will do well although she does like to spend money a little too easily.

The other is younger and is doing well. In her mind it is normal & natural to buy houses and allow other people to rent them from you.

Alan, I think that you are doing a wonderful job with your daughter and congratulations for taking the time and interest to help her. I am proud of you!!

Dale

I have two children, 12 and 14 years. They both receive $5.00 pw pocket money and receive a bonus $5.00 if their room is clean and tidy on Friday (pocket money day). The conditions are that they must bank half of their money and are responsible for non essential purchases. They also have the opportunity to earn more if they perform certain chores around the house as I believe they should be taught a work ethic.

The eldest also has two part-time jobs and earns between $40-$50 depending on her shifts (both only roster her on for 2-3 hours at a time, which she finds frustrating). From this she saves about 60-70% as she wants to purchase her first home at 18.

They both know the difference between needs and wants and have had constant input into the reasons why it is good to save. They both know kids at school that get huge amounts of money each week and spend the lot and they realise that even though they only get a small amount, so therefore can only save a small amount that it grows over time into a large amount. Their friends can't understand how they can possibly save anything.

They are both very interested in investing and are constantly asking questions. We have a small business as well and they know and understand basic accounting and the reason for saving receipts. They both understand tax deductability, depreciation and many other things that most adults struggle with because we constantly talk about what we do.

My wife & I have been talking about this very thing. She gave birth to our first child (a boy!!!!!) 2 months ago yesterday. My wife has always wanted our child to have a private school education. Me? well I failed high school and don't have much of an opinion of the education system. The lack of an education is no hinderance if you are prepared to work long and hard. I bought my first rental at 18 and now I'm 30 I have a net wealth of over $1 million. I still work my 2 jobs and my wife will go back to hers. So he sees what hard work is.

My suggestion to my wife is with the money that we would have spent on private schooling we should be buying a property for him so we can teach him first hand the in's & out's of property investing. By using a property that is 'his' I believe he would take a greater interest in it. Then down the track when he's old enough to work then he can work on paying off the principal of the loan.

This is just early days so we are throwing around a few ideas. I would be interested to hear people's thoughts on this idea (good & bad).

Regards,
Jason

JPM said:
My wife & I have been talking about this very thing. She gave birth to our first child (a boy!!!!!) 2 months ago yesterday. My wife has always wanted our child to have a private school education. Me? well I failed high school and don't have much of an opinion of the education system. The lack of an education is no hinderance if you are prepared to work long and hard. I bought my first rental at 18 and now I'm 30 I have a net wealth of over $1 million. I still work my 2 jobs and my wife will go back to hers. So he sees what hard work is.

My suggestion to my wife is with the money that we would have spent on private schooling we should be buying a property for him so we can teach him first hand the in's & out's of property investing. By using a property that is 'his' I believe he would take a greater interest in it. Then down the track when he's old enough to work then he can work on paying off the principal of the loan.

This is just early days so we are throwing around a few ideas. I would be interested to hear people's thoughts on this idea (good & bad).

Regards,
Jason

Hey....congratulations Jason!

By the way, you've now made me feel really slack that I've left it to 5yo instead of starting at 2 months!!

:D :D

We try to make finances fun.

Our kids (6&4) have already started up several businesses (and wound them up again) & have a fairly entrepreneurial turn of mind (probably genetic) and we often discuss their different business ideas & how to make them happen. Their attention spans are still a bit short however :)

My son has already indicated an interest in getting involved with the different investments with which we're involved (putting in his cash) & both kids have helped with renovations & grasp the concept of owning & renting out houses and of buying shares in a company.

In the future i'll be encouraging our kids to get a job as soon as they are legally allowed to, to get experience in employee environments & work skills - and if they present a good enough business plan (which I'll help them with) I'll be happy to fund their ventures.

We run the bank for our kids - dollarmites I don't like because I reckon it sends the wrong message :) Our focus is NOT on saving, but on wealth creation.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Alan H said:
Hey....congratulations Jason!

By the way, you've now made me feel really slack that I've left it to 5yo instead of starting at 2 months!!

:D :D

Alan,
Just thinking about the future. My wife always says I think too much!!

My problem will be that I have to not show him my attitude of our school system as this will give him an excuse to slack off.

I do like your idea about teaching them the savings habit. That is what my parents drilled into us and I believe it to be one of the most important lessons.

Jason

Jason,
You reckon you're keen - I don't even HAVE kids yet (at least another ten years before that happens, assuming no accidents!) and I already think about how to educate them financially. This is a really great thread, with a bunch of good ideas.
Gotta say I agree with your view on education, I believe standard schooling is also a total waste of time - I'm thinking about home schooling myself, which means I wont be able to work.... geez, what a dilemma!

Mark

I've thought about this too - and have posted in the past on what i think I will do. I generally agree it would be benefitial to pass on some of these principles (in whatever way suits) at an earlier rather than later stage.

However - we need to keep one thing in mind. Kids when they grow up will do things either because of their parents or in spite of their parents.

A loving, nurturing, fun, sharing, caring environment should be rule number one I think. Probably goes without saying.

Mark,
I'm surprised at how many poeple are home schooling these days. My boss's wife home schools their 3 kids. There must be something in that.

Not being 'educated' myself, I won't be taking on that task. But I believe I will supplement the school education with my version of a financial education. I know even that will be limited to the things that I know (the basic buy & hold property strategy) but I have the proof that it works. What he wants to learn after that is up to him.

PS. Was talking to an old school mate of mine yesterday. He was very smart at school at is now a teacher (uni or something). He was moaning about the fact that his house is too small now that they have 2 kids and there is no way he will be able to afford to 'trade up' to a bigger house. He still can't believe what I have achieved compared to someone 'smart' like him!!!

He puts it down to me being 'lucky' that I didn't have to pay off a Hecs debt!! :D :D

Jason

Hi JPM. Most people who are not as well off as you will say you are "lucky" for some reason or another. It just does not seem likely, for the masses, that you can get ahead. The few people who know our situation all feel that we are "lucky" also. I guess they didn't live on rice and beans during 17.5% interest rates and then endure endless Business failures. Or maybe that was just luck also.

Cheers

Skater,

Mate I'm sure you felt 'lucky' eating that rice!!

I have heaps of admiration for you guys who went thru those high rates. I'm sure I will have that 'pleasure' one day. The highest I had was 14.5%. That was 1% higher because it was 'investment', remember that rule?

People just cannot admit to themselves that they could have done the same thing, if not better. So all they can put it down to is 'luck'.

Jason

JPM said:
Was talking to an old school mate of mine yesterday. He was very smart at school at is now a teacher (uni or something). He was moaning about the fact that his house is too small now that they have 2 kids and there is no way he will be able to afford to 'trade up' to a bigger house. He still can't believe what I have achieved compared to someone 'smart' like him!!!
Sounds like Kiyosaki's 'poor dad'.

Maybe you should be his kids' rich dad :)

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Aceyducey said:
Sounds like Kiyosaki's 'poor dad'.

Maybe you should be his kids' rich dad :)

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Acey,
I was hoping I could send my kid to you once I'd taught him the basics!!! ;)

Sort of like a 'finishing' school.

Jason

Mark Laszczuk said:
Jason,

Gotta say I agree with your view on education, I believe standard schooling is also a total waste of time -

Mark

Very interesting thread. My "kids" now 25 & 27.
I don't agree with Jason's sentiments entirely. Eldest son, good student, now an Engineer. Youngest son, not so great, enjoyed sports more, but completed year 11 and then went out and got his own job as an apprentice carpenter/builder and now doing quite well.
I reckon their prospects are similar - just depends on their own attitide.

Without doubt though, parents (and the circles they move in) attitudes towards work and money will rub off on the kids, and most likely they will be similar.

One final comment though, please let your children be children. Kids these days seem to go from preschoolers to teenagers in about 5 minutes. There seems to be an awful lot of pressure for kids to be like adults. Childhood is a wonderful time, and shouldn't be highjacked by well meaning parents and others.

GarryK

Garry K said:
One final comment though, please let your children be children. Kids these days seem to go from preschoolers to teenagers in about 5 minutes. There seems to be an awful lot of pressure for kids to be like adults. Childhood is a wonderful time, and shouldn't be highjacked by well meaning parents and others.
GarryK

lol - my wife consistently tells me to stop being such a kid.

No way Jose. When it comes to havin fun i have the mental age of an 8 year old.

I can see it now - "Mum, tell Dad I dont wanna watch cartoons AGAIN!"

Garry K said:
Very interesting thread. My "kids" now 25 & 27.
I don't agree with Jason's sentiments entirely. Eldest son, good student, now an Engineer. Youngest son, not so great, enjoyed sports more, but completed year 11 and then went out and got his own job as an apprentice carpenter/builder and now doing quite well.
I reckon their prospects are similar - just depends on their own attitide.

GarryK

Garry,
Don't get me wrong. I'm not bagging everyone who is what i call 'educationally' smart. And I don't believe that if you are 'educationally' smart then you must be financially dumb. You have every reason to be proud of your boys.

It's more the system that my issue is with. It is drummed into us all that if you do well at school then you are smart and you are set for life. If you don't do well at school then you will just be scraping by for the rest of your life.

I personally don't care what peoples qualifications are. i am not impressed by a uni degree and i don't look down on people who dropped out of school.

What impresses me is what people are doing in their 'financial' life. Are they just squandering their money or are they saving/investing.

I'm sure your boys are both on the right track because their father is setting the example. i hope i can do the same.

Jason

Garry K said:

GarryK

Garry,
i agree with your sentiments. I myself had a great childhood. My parents never pushed me to do anything. I've enjoyed my life thoroughly to this point. At high school i had heaps of fun (except at footy training when we had lost the week before and the coach made us use the tackling bags for EVERY session).

My wife on the other hand does not remember her school years so fondly as she tried hard to study but other things got in the way and she would get into HEAPs of trouble with the folks. Her father had been DUX of the school and she had a lot to live up to.

I guess she shouldn't have started hanging around with me in grade 8 hey?
:D ;)

She does tell everyone that she already has had a child (me) for all these years so having a real baby is nothing!!

Jason

What a weird/strange attitude!

Background:
My daughter has been saving her pocket money, some birthday money etc in her School Savings Account for some time now and has finally managed to save $1000. When she reached $1000 she was going to buy some shares with it.

We got Internet access to her savings account so she could see how all that worked too.

The Internet access all worked fine until a few weeks ago and then it said we had no Accounts connected!

I rang the bank(which bank?) and they said that they'd frozen the account and we'd need to come into the bank and fill in various paperwork to sort it all out. :mad:

The reason the account was frozen was because she'd managed to save a little over $1000 and the guy I was talking to said they didn't really expect kids to be able to save that sort of money!!! No wonder with the crap interest rates they give these accounts.......

It's a wonderful Corporate Mentality/Social Outcome when a child who can manage to save $1000 is looked upon with suspicion as being unusual isn't it?

The adult who can barely pay off the interest on his $5000 Credit Card each month is fine though. No letters from the bank or a freezing of the Credit Card there. :confused:

No wonder there is a problem with Saving in this country.

:)

Back