Ideas for eco-friendly houses

As for most things there is no one size fits all - it all depends on the climate in question. But to my mind if you are going to build new there is one construction method that kills them all for low embodied energy and thermal performance - the straw bale house. Having been in a large one sitting around in shorts at circa 20 degrees inside when it was -5 degrees outside, all courtesy of the smallest pot belly stove I have ever seen, the thermal performance is second to none!

Stray bale house is totally my dream - I love that you can design it simply around the sizes of the bales or get more creative and do curves etc ... I am usually a person who likes historial homes - but I figure this way - I can create a house that works for me and recycle compenents with history (gates, windows, doors etc) and have modern elements (kitchen/bathroom) so its an ecclectic house with awesome insulated walls - the straw can be local as well so you're cutting down on the transporting of the main building material.

I love straw bale houses.

make sure your lender accepts them :) they dont need to luv em, just treat them like a BV

ta
rolf

Its a loooong way off yet Rolf ... :D ... I'm still at the dreaming stage no where near the finding, much less buying acreage stage much less the finance stage ... Plenty of time to make it work - one way or another :)

Back