Ideas for fixing Kitchen Range hood that does not suck or vent

As time goes on I find more and more dodgy work that has been done to recently renovate my current PPOR by previous owners (only been in it 3 weeks!!!).

This time it is the nearly brand new rangehood in the kitchen. It does not suck air - makes a lot of noise but no suction. There is also a funnel looking thing new in a bag in the cupboard above the rangehood - obviously not connected to anything, and I am thinking that it probably should be. (I am not real familiar with rangehoods as I have not had one before.) I can't see anywhere that the air goes when sucked up...not that it does that anyway.

I don't know where to start to fix this. Personally I would rather leave it, but if I end up with tennants in it next year then I am sure it will become something they complain about, and it might help keep the new kitchen a little cleaner. So, what can I do? The kitchen cupboards stop a few inches below ceiling so you would see a funnel going up, and I am guessing it won't be cheap to get this done. Would it be easier to get a new range hood that blows what it sucks out the top on the front of it - I have heard they used to have these?

Any ideas would be great. Thanks!

Bit general, so apologies. Most rangehoods can be set to "re-circulate" or to "vent". Vent will only work if you have "that funnel thing in the bag" connected to the rangehood and leading to the outside - either through the wall or the ceiling through ductwork.

If yours neither sucks nor blows but makes a lot of noise, it sounds to me like the fan/s are working and it has been set to "vent" but it is blowing hard up againt the wall / ceiling (no outside vent hole made) - so no suck, just fan noise.

You will need to vent it properly or set it to recirculate, which just removes the grease out of the air and blows it back at you. :(

Last edited:
Ditto Propertunity's post,
+
the manufacturer's web page will have a pdf of the install instructions for that model & you can determine how the unit was installed, &
how to open the recirc panel, usually on the front, if the outside ducting is not installed.

So long as you clearly state that the range hood is not working before the tenant signs the lease (and include the fact in the lease) then you won't have to repair it for a future tenant.
Marg

pipsal

First of all Merry Xmas.

If it's the classic type rangehood, unlatch and lower the lid where the filters are or remove filters (depending on model) and operate a lever which is on the plastic cavity next to the fan.

It will have some writing, like internal - external.

I bet it's left on external but there is no outside vend so it tries to direct the air to the cabinet wall.

Move the lever to internal and it will start to work.

As time goes on I find more and more dodgy work that has been done to recently renovate my current PPOR by previous owners (only been in it 3 weeks!!!).

This time it is the nearly brand new rangehood in the kitchen. It does not suck air - makes a lot of noise but no suction. There is also a funnel looking thing new in a bag in the cupboard above the rangehood - obviously not connected to anything, and I am thinking that it probably should be. (I am not real familiar with rangehoods as I have not had one before.) I can't see anywhere that the air goes when sucked up...not that it does that anyway.

I don't know where to start to fix this. Personally I would rather leave it, but if I end up with tennants in it next year then I am sure it will become something they complain about, and it might help keep the new kitchen a little cleaner. So, what can I do? The kitchen cupboards stop a few inches below ceiling so you would see a funnel going up, and I am guessing it won't be cheap to get this done. Would it be easier to get a new range hood that blows what it sucks out the top on the front of it - I have heard they used to have these?

Any ideas would be great. Thanks!

by your description they have used a standard ducted rangehood and havnt bothered to cut the hole for the duct to expel air ,if thats the case it will be cheaper to go and buy a new rangehood with the recirculating feature

Back